Transitioning from Stix-n-brix

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
I went Nomad last summer for a few months. All my "stuff" went into storage, because I didn't know how well the launch would go, and I was afraid to get rid of it. It turns out, we had to return to apartment life from last fall through this spring. So, we emptied the storage unit into a new apartment.

Fast forward to today. The lease is up at the end of the month, and we're going Nomad permanently this time. I'm faced with getting rid of it all for real. OK. Friends and family get first pick to take anything they want. Goodwill gets a lot of clothes and kitchen stuff, but they don't take furniture that isn't near-new condition. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace get a couple of dozen furniture posts - some for sale, some for free. Some of it flies out the door, some of it waits and waits.

What shocks me is how I paid so much money for all this "stuff" over the course of a couple of decades, and it's all nearly worthless. Everything is negotiated down, when it's already priced at 10% of what I paid for it. The free stuff is still judged as "nah, I don't like that it's used." It seems that furniture especially is either brand-spanking-new or ready-for-a-landfill according to the people I'm in contact with - there is no in between. Over all, three decades of furniture is worth about three months of gas.

I'm more embarrassed that I was so brainwashed to believe it was valuable in the first place.

(end of rant.)

That's a pretty good rant, actually.

Life is disturbing sometimes. I bet somebody somewhere would have appreciated that stuff, but how to connect? This could be like example 37 of all the ways "half the world is still crying, while the other half is still crying too."

If you still have stuff you need to unload before your deadline, I wonder if you have tried other similar charities (Goodwill seems especially expensive, maybe the others don't have quite such picky policies) ... nonprofits that resettle refugees are often looking for household items, and probably anti-homelessness charities too ... or how about just putting a table outside your house with a big "Free Stuff" sign. I did that the last time I moved (it was a very mixed-income community), and within a few hours it was cleaned down to the bone.

Craigslist can be a real asshat-magnet anymore; it takes ironclad nerves to spend time there. And maybe some people just think they're clever negotiators. Meh. Good luck!

I always tell friends who put stuff in storage are you really sure you want to be buying all that stuff back every month? Also see if there are any non-profits in your area that serve the homeless. They will solicit donations of usable furniture they use it to get people set up transitioning from the streets to a residence Consider talking to some local consignment shops if they won't take your stuff then it's probably worthless

What shocks me is how I paid so much money for all this "stuff" over the course of a couple of decades, and it's all nearly worthless.

Over all, three decades of furniture is worth about three months of gas.

I'm more embarrassed that I was so brainwashed to believe it was valuable in the first place.
Your stuff isn't worthless- it served you for 30 years. You paid for it, used it, and now want to get rid of it. It was valuable- to you over the years. That's not brainwashing. You got your money's worth.

The "stuff" we buy is not an investment. With few exceptions, it starts losing value the moment it leaves the store. Sometimes to the point where we have to pay to have it hauled away. I don't understand why you would expect anyone to pay big bucks for your junk.

If you have the time and the motivation you could rent a booth or a couple of tables at a local flea market for a few weekends and maybe get something resembling money for it all. Or at least some of it!

Saw a couple laying on fresh green grass with their pup after watching the dog frolic in it. Green grass without stickers is a rarity in the desert. Saw a person again setting on the same rock as the day before watching the sunset. I’ve got a couple favorite tree stumps I use for tables and a chair frame I wrapped with rope that both came from the trash that complements the stumps. I have some expensive new not as comfortable folding chairs I bought for guests. If I let them set in my chair they would never leave! Lol!!! Get rid of the crap and start enjoying life.

Fast forward to today. The lease is up at the end of the month, and we're going Nomad permanently this time. I'm faced with getting rid of it all for real.
If you can afford it, maybe put some stuff back in storage. I don't know where you live, but in Illinois storage units are super cheap.

And can always post a list of “Free to a good home”, or set them out on your curb on garbage day to watch some things disappear.

We all seem to accumulate a lot of “stuff” over years in sticks and bricks.

One of the joys in traveling full or part time is paring down to essentials.

Don’t dwell too much on how little your things are worth, set your sights on the future and enjoy your transition to full timing.

Adventures await!

Your stuff isn't worthless- it served you for 30 years. You paid for it, used it, and now want to get rid of it. It was valuable- to you over the years. That's not brainwashing. You got your money's worth.

The "stuff" we buy is not an investment. With few exceptions, it starts losing value the moment it leaves the store. Sometimes to the point where we have to pay to have it hauled away. I don't understand why you would expect anyone to pay big bucks for your junk.
I get it. I agree with you. I wasn't expecting to use this as an income stream. I'm just having a little AHA! moment where the consumer culture had me so well programmed. They're fashionable! They're heirlooms! My neighbors will envy me! Of course, it's all marketing and the fact that I can't even give some of it away is proof of the hype.

I can't wait to get on the road.

If you can afford it, maybe put some stuff back in storage. I don't know where you live, but in Illinois storage units are super cheap.
I have a (very small) storage unit. But, it's really to hold several boxes of my son's stuff while he's serving in the military. I'm trying to let go of as much stuff as possible right now.

Most contemporary furniture and household good dont hold their value very well, though some may come back into retro style some day. Mom is convinced all her stuff is quite valuable since it cost so much 50 or more years ago, when the reality is its been used hard for a long time, has little or no real market value, and nobody in the family wants any of it other than older family heirloom type things and her piano.

Dad on the other hand bought some nice older stuff, antiques, like in Chippendale level rather than old Sears Roebuck antiques. It has held some value long term, except the reality of all the old brown furniture stuff is way down overall currently from 15 or 20 years ago.

Storage. Prices vary depending on location. Close (convenient) to me isnt cheap. The reality of storage is many people pay more to store stuff than its actually worth, it can be a costly habit. If theres not much or any real personal attachment, Ive come to the conclusion its probably better to sell it all or most all at whatever you can get from it or even just give it away to get rid of the expense of storing it. Trying to hold onto some things to get a better price for them can result in losing money when it doesnt end up happening or the time lag erases the potential gain.

Dealing with 2 parents worth of stuff, ive become far less attached to stuff in general. I LIKE some of it, but not enough to spend a lot of money to keep it or build a larger house to have it. Its time to get rid of some of my treasures as well.

Depending on your area, you might find a few different "Buy Nothing" or "Trash Nothing" groups to connect with. If you post your "waiting" items to them, they might go surprisingly quick!

I also second looking at charities that help home people.

Good luck, and happy trails!

I get it. I agree with you. I wasn't expecting to use this as an income stream. I'm just having a little AHA! moment where the consumer culture had me so well programmed. They're fashionable! They're heirlooms! My neighbors will envy me! Of course, it's all marketing and the fact that I can't even give some of it away is proof of the hype.

I can't wait to get on the road.
I TOTALLY get where you are coming from. I have a small house full of stuff. Stuff that I really don't want to part with. Stuff that won't fit in my van and/or trailer. For example I have been collecting vintage Corelle (dishware) for years. I love every single piece and it was expensive. There's no way I will sell it at a yard sale. The list goes on and on. It just isn't as simply saying get rid of it and move on.

Depending on your area, you might find a few different "Buy Nothing" or "Trash Nothing" groups to connect with. If you post your "waiting" items to them, they might go surprisingly quick!

I also second looking at charities that help home people.

Good luck, and happy trails!
Today I learned about Buy Nothing / Trash Nothing! Never heard of them before. Thank you!

I love every single piece and it was expensive. There's no way I will sell it at a yard sale. The list goes on and on. It just isn't as simply saying get rid of it and move on.

Well, it may be as simple as saying that if you don't "get rid of it" you can't "move on."

Nobody says you have to go mobile.