Full time living for family of 5 in Washington.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m brand spanking new to the rv world and I have no idea what we should be looking for. New or used? Trailer or 5th wheel? We have a Dodge Ram 3500 and my husband has experience towing so that won’t be an issue. I’m afraid of getting something too small and driving myself crazy. Or buying a lemon if we go used. And what about warranties? I have so many questions! Advice is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two items that pop up immediately are getting something that you all can fit into and getting something that you can afford. Travel trailers, (TT), and fifth wheels, (5ers), come with bunk bed options, commonly called bunkhouse, and may be a good fit for you. Some are called toy-haulers, which is a room with tie-downs on the floor and perhaps seating/table options with a ramp that forms the back wall of the RV. This room could be the kid's room and used for storage as well. Being new to the RV environment, read and read some more on RV club forums, RV brand forums, and this forum to gain much knowledge both before and after your purchase. New vs Used... that's a personal choice dependent on budget, but know that there are quality used RVs on the market, just do your homework. There's some flash & trash on the market as well, both new and used. Most of the components that go into an RV are outsourced from common sources, (refrigerator, stove/oven, hot water heater, water pump, furnace, etc.) as you'll notice the closer you look. This then leaves build quality and the ability to carry weight, and floorplans, (and possibly décor), as determining factors on which RV to choose that falls within your budget. It is also very easy to buy something that's too big or too small so take your time. There could be many times that you'll say "Let's get this one!", only to be thankful later that you didn't.

rm.w/aview said:
Two items that pop up immediately are getting something that you all can fit into and getting something that you can afford. Travel trailers, (TT), and fifth wheels, (5ers), come with bunk bed options, commonly called bunkhouse, and may be a good fit for you. S

We plan on selling our house, (I’m told it’s better to wait until after we purchase our new home on wheels), so we have a fairly large pool of affordable options. Our main plan is to save money though so we will probably stick with something we can buy outright or make minimum payments on. We were looking at you haulers initially, but the fact that the back area isn’t well insulated is a concern for us. It can get down below 0 degrees F here in the winter. We’ve been looking at bunkhouses, primarily new on lots, just to get a feel for the size we’re going to need with three children under foot.

We have a couple close friends that use to live in a TT and they recommend buying used because of resell value, since we will eventually be moving into the house we plan on building. That won’t be for several years though and I’m afraid to buy something that will have components breaking as neither my husband nor I are particularly handy...yet. [emoji16]

Thank you so much for your insight! I probably missed touching on parts of your reply, my girls are up now and my heads already swirling through 50 things at once.

HD

The things I tell people is once you find THE RIG you are in love with, take the whole family and get in it, shut all the blinds and sit there. How long before you go nuts, it feels cramped or the furniture starts making your bum numb. I say this because even with TV, books, games and the internet there will be a time that the weather keeps you inside and you will get bored of all the distractions.

The second thing is a family of five takes up a considerable amount of storage space. Most RV's are built with the weekend warrior not the full timer. So when you look at a rig look at the storage in it to see where will all the sheets, towels, boots, coats, etc go. You will need clothes for all seasons plus all of the other gear everyone will want to take.

Now if you are going to be in sub freezing weather for any amount of time you need to look for a four season rig. It should have better insulation, double pane windows, a enclosed belly and tanks, all things to keep it functional in the cold. Unfortunately four season rigs are heavier and cost more than 3 season rigs do.

Speaking of tanks. How do you intend on camping? Using campgrounds with full hook ups makes it easy but oh so expensive. Boondocking or dry camping means your family of five have to do with what you have on board. So make sure the fresh and waste tanks are big enough to last more than a few days.

Another thing to think of is food. A large family can go through some food and keeping fresh food for very long is a pain. So make sure what ever you pick has a good size fridge or you may need to add a second to make it more than a few days.

There can be a lot to consider.

jimindenver said:
The things I tell people is once you find THE RIG you are in love with, take the whole family and get in it, shut all the blinds and sit there. How long before you go nuts, it feels cramped or the furniture starts making your bum numb. I say this because even with TV, books, games and the internet there will be a time that the weather keeps you inside and you will get bored of all the distractions.

The second thing is a family of five takes up a considerable amount of storage space. Most RV's are built with the weekend warrior not the full timer. So when you look at a rig look at the storage in it to see where will all the sheets, towels, boots, coats, etc go. You will need clothes for all seasons plus all of the other gear everyone will want to take.

Now if you are going to be in sub freezing weather for any amount of time you need to look for a four season rig. It should have better insulation, double pane windows, a enclosed belly and tanks, all things to keep it functional in the cold. Unfortunately four season rigs are heavier and cost more than 3 season rigs do.

Speaking of tanks. How do you intend on camping? Using campgrounds with full hook ups makes it easy but oh so expensive. Boondocking or dry camping means your family of five have to do with what you have on board. So make sure the fresh and waste tanks are big enough to last more than a few days.

Another thing to think of is food. A large family can go through some food and keeping fresh food for very long is a pain. So make sure what ever you pick has a good size fridge or you may need to add a second to make it more than a few days.

There can be a lot to consider.

I’ve been taking the girls with us when I go to explore at rv lots. It took me all of 10 minutes to decide that anything less then 30’ is going to make us crazy!

As far as storage, we got lucky enough to have grandparents that are going to allow us to store anything that’s not needed everyday. All of our out of season clothes, extra gear, and the like will be stored in an insulated garage that will be close at hand.

Which brings me to the dry camping! Ive definitely been looking for something with larger tanks because I’m sure 99% of the time we won’t have access to hookups.We will be parked at my grandparents for awhile while we find land to buy, although we will be taking short trips during the winter to avoid cabin fever. While there I plan on using her bathroom for things like showers and trying to keep our water usage at a minimum but once we find land I’m sure we won’t have any kind of access. I’ve been told you can hookup directly to a sewer if there is one but that sounds a little off to me.

The food situation is where I get caught. We’re shopping at Costco in order to feed us all and I have trouble storing that in the house we have now! I’m considering setting up a bit of a pantry at my grandmas and just restocking once a month or so. I have found some rigs that have decent pantries, my favorite was a walk in one with laundry hookups. But of course it sacrifices valuable living space.

You’re right about there being a lot to consider! I’m really hoping talking to folks like you will help with the overwhelming choices!

For our family of 6, we find that meal planning is key.
Usually plan for 1 week at a time. Also use websites like budgetbytes.com and scale it up.
Usually end up doubling the recipe for 4, for our family of 6, and you have leftovers for grown ups.

I would say Costco alone is not saving you much on some parts. We use combination of Costco, Aldi, and local farmers market for produce. (price and quality are usually better)

We also use Anylist app. It doesn't have android version yet, but they do iOS, Mac, and PC. Anylist app will change your life!!!
https://www.anylistapp.com/

Edit: I didn't address your storage question. Sorry.

sometimesido said:
For our family of 6, we find that meal planning is key.
Usually plan for 1 week at a time. Also use websites like budgetbytes.com and scale it up.
Usually end up doubling the recipe for 4, for our family of 6, and you have leftovers for grown ups.

I would say Costco alone is not saving you much on some parts. We use combination of Costco, Aldi, and local farmers market for produce. (price and quality are usually better)

We also use Anylist app. It doesn't have android version yet, but they do iOS, Mac, and PC. Anylist app will change your life!!!
https://www.anylistapp.com/

Edit: I didn't address your storage question. Sorry.

I will definitely check out the app! I think our storage problem will be something I’m just going to have to play with once we finally decide what kind of rig we’re getting.

We don’t have an Aldi around here but I do use Winco also. I really want to start getting into the farmers markets. We have an excellent one close by but I’ve only been once.

Thanks so much for the insight! It gives me a great jumping off point!

A lot of boondockers use a utility trailer with tanks for hauling water and sewage (with the addition of a macerater pump), or with a bumper pull put them in the bed of the truck to extend stays without having to move the trailer.

bullfrog said:
A lot of boondockers use a utility trailer with tanks for hauling water and sewage (with the addition of a macerater pump), or with a bumper pull put them in the bed of the truck to extend stays without having to move the trailer.

Awesome tip thank you! Utilizing extra tanks never even occurred to me!

Homesteaddreams said:
The food situation is where I get caught. We’re shopping at Costco in order to feed us all and I have trouble storing that in the house we have now! I’m considering setting up a bit of a pantry at my grandmas and just restocking once a month or so. I have found some rigs that have decent pantries, my favorite was a walk in one with laundry hookups.

Storing non-perishable boxed & bagged food should be done in storage containers with a good fitting lid to avoid feeding the critters. Unlike a house whose construction has dealt with rodent intrusion, RVers should inspect potential access areas and deal with them accordingly. Keeping the trailer clean goes a long way as well. You may wind up using mouse traps anyway, unless you have a cat(s). The storage issue, (and tank sizes), is common to fulltime RVers with 5ers & Class A having the most.

seen a 30' ish toy hauler 5th going down highway also pulling a trailer with a SxS on it. if you're going that big I would be looking at 5th wheels BTW.

but my point is you can put a hitch carrier on the back or even pull and enclosed trailer behind it....just dont try to back the thing up.

or if you get a TT get a truck cap and you got storage in the bed. Or if you get a toy hauler you will have tons of storage space in the back.

rm.w/aview said:
Storing non-perishable boxed & bagged food should be done in storage containers with a good fitting lid to avoid feeding the critters. Unlike a house whose construction has dealt with rodent intrusion, RVers should inspect potential access areas and deal with them accordingly. Keeping the trailer clean goes a long way as well. You may wind up using mouse traps anyway, unless you have a cat(s). The storage issue, (and tank sizes), is common to fulltime RVers with 5ers & Class A having the most.

I had a friend tell us not to use hay bales during the winter if we stay parked because the mice like them way too much. My husband is set on a TT so he doesn’t have to modify the truck but I’m trying to get him to change his mind lol

bardo said:
seen a 30' ish toy hauler 5th going down highway also pulling a trailer with a SxS on it. if you're going that big I would be looking at 5th wheels BTW.

but my point is you can put a hitch carrier on the back or even pull and enclosed trailer behind it....just dont try to back the thing up.

or if you get a TT get a truck cap and you got storage in the bed. Or if you get a toy hauler you will have tons of storage space in the back.

We were seriously considering a toy hauler because the storage space but keeping it warm when it gets below freezing seems to outweigh the storage.

I don’t know why I haven’t considered towing anything with it! That would probably solve most of the storage problem for us. Thank you!

Homesteaddreams said:
I had a friend tell us not to use hay bales during the winter if we stay parked because the mice like them way too much. My husband is set on a TT so he doesn’t have to modify the truck but I’m trying to get him to change his mind lol

Yeah, there's many options/ideas on skirting & insulating trailer basements as you may have already seen on youtube. The forum at rvnetwork.com may be helpful as well. I get what your husband has in mind on the TT vs 5er debate, but I also think that 30' and up is long for a TT but not so much for a 5er with the front over the truck bed. This may keep you out of some nice back-in sites with the woods behind you and force you to use pull-through sites, depending on where you go. If you're going to be stationary and live in the trailer on your land this is a non-issue of course, and perhaps a Park Model could be your home until you build.

IDK about keeping a 5th wheel toy hauler warm but I imagine its not too difficult....at least not to rule it out. a heavy dividing blanket will likely suffice. the garage area is really no different than if it were living space. Im pretty sure they don't leave it uninsulated or anything. worst case scenario its 20-40lbs of extra propane a month. ($15-35)

I can go through a 20 pound tank a week in weather that is freezing at night and warmer throughout the day. The water heater uses a lot if left on, the fridge uses hardly enough to be noticed and the furnace depends on how warm you like it. I could barely get it to shut off on a night that was 19 degrees but then again, this is a 3 season trailer not made for the cold.

The walls, ceiling, floor and insulation should be the same in the front of a toyhauler as in the back. Also make sure you check the laws in your area about double towing.

If you need to extensively burn fossil fuel to keep warm, it's worth investing in a solid insulation job.

Toy haulers are easier than vans for sure!

in a RV that can be hard to do besides buying a 4 season or ripping everything out and adding insulation. I have added insulation to areas like behind the cabinets and storage bays as well as made foam inserts for all the windows and vents. Even just a rug on the floor can make a big difference.

Sorry, I was addressing this

> We were seriously considering a toy hauler because the storage space but keeping it warm when it gets below freezing seems to outweigh the storage.

When I was (and occasionally still do) considering a toy hauler; I always pictured putting one of the small, marine type wood stoves in the "garage" portion. Most take almost no space (the cubic wood stoves can even be mounted on a wall), can kick out some real heat (especially those with gassifier features), and fuel is readily available as well as can be obtained for almost free depending on planning and/or camping/boondocking preferences.