FT Van life in Portland Oregon - Parking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

In about 6 months or so I'll be buying a van to live in full-time while I continue to work so I can pay off debt.  I'm thinking of either buying a used, already built out Promaster (seems like a lot of people I've found through Facebook/Instagram buy new, build out, travel for less than a year and then sell), but part of me really would like to get a mid-90's campervan, like a Westfalia or a Coachman campervan, but I know that at that age there will likely be a lot of things needing repairing and/or replacing.  I just like the looks of the old camper vans - though funnily enough when I was in my 20's I always thought they looked creepy  :p

Anyways, I work in downtown Portland, and in reading the Portland Bureau of Transportation website, it looks like you can park anywhere that isn't signed otherwise, for up to 24 hours.  I'd only need about 12 hours, so I'm fine there, but then it says that "All vehicles must be driven off the block face daily."  Does this mean both sides of the same block?  I'm assuming it does (because that makes sense), but I've never heard of that phrase before.  During the day I would just be parking at the park and ride and catch the Max train to work.

My main question is if anyone here has some advice, tips, good recent locations, and anything else I might need to know?

I'm so excited to start this new chapter, but I also want to go in with my eyes wide open since I am planning on living in the city for at least a year while I save and pay off debt.

Thanks in advance!
Kirsten

When I searched google, the articles I found seemed to indicate they were trying to deal with people parking their cars near the red line for weeks at a time, while they took a flight on vacation. So, if you are planning on leaving or moving everyday, it shouldn't be a problem. You might want to have 7-14 different places to park, so you aren't noticeable. Another option is to pay someone a small fee to park in their driveway. I recently negotiated a rate of $10 a day, or $50 a week to park my van in a beach town with a lot of parking stipulations. If I could get into a campground, (not possible on the weekend) I would pay from 30-50 a night. I found someone who was selling produce from their garden. I figured if they were interested in making a few bucks from their produce, they might be willing to share their property. You might look for someone who has a garage sale, etc. It seems a better way, then advertising on craigslist for a place to park.

I don't know if this helps answer any of your questions or not, but when I drove through/around Oregon last summer, I stayed exclusively at highway rest areas. A quick search shows at least 5 in the Portland area. They're really quite nice, and not once did I feel unsafe.

HI
don't know Portland so will leave that to others who know :) but I want to congratulate you on your short time line to getting into your van and living the life!!

Only a year stuck in the city to pay off debt....not too bad at all actually.....and when that debt is paid?
Are you quitting your job and hitting the road? Just curious on plans after that year and debt are gone.

Buy the van and set up you truly want. Shop now and research and find. If whatever repairs etc are too big on some of the desired vans, you are best to opt into a younger aged van and get some better mechanics. It truly is about bucks on repairs and breakdowns on the road. Those are too stinkers in anyone's book of life LOL

Happy you are doing well and on your path!

wandering_artist said:
Hi all,

Anyways, I work in downtown Portland, and in reading the Portland Bureau of Transportation website, it looks like you can park anywhere that isn't signed otherwise, for up to 24 hours.  I'd only need about 12 hours, so I'm fine there, but then it says that "All vehicles must be driven off the block face daily."  Does this mean both sides of the same block?  I'm assuming it does (because that makes sense), but I've never heard of that phrase before.  During the day I would just be parking at the park and ride and catch the Max train to work.
If you are driving to the park and ride to park for commuting to work then you meet the criteria of moving away from the block face every day that you do that activity. On other days driving to the store or library or running other errands qualify. They just don't want permanently parked vehicles that never move hogging up all the local parking places, that is why they have that ordinance. It is not just about homeless, some apartment dwellers and house dwellers have more cars than there are provided parking spaces. But when those spaces get used for storing vehicles that rarely move the businesses and residents who need to park on the street get shut out of parking that is convenient to their location.

PODebbie said:
When I searched google, the articles I found seemed to indicate they were trying to deal with people parking their cars near the red line for weeks at a time, while they took a flight on vacation.  So, if you are planning on leaving or moving everyday, it shouldn't be a problem.  You might want to have 7-14 different places to park, so you aren't noticeable.  Another option is to pay someone a small fee to park in their driveway.  I recently negotiated a rate of $10 a day, or $50 a week to park my van in a beach town with a lot of parking stipulations.  If I could get into a campground, (not possible on the weekend) I would pay from 30-50 a night.  I found someone who was selling produce from their garden.  I figured if they were interested in making a few bucks from their produce, they might be willing to share their property.  You might look for someone who has a garage sale, etc.  It seems a better way, then advertising on craigslist for a place to park.
Thank you for the idea of having 7-14 places to park - that would definitely reduce the stress of having to try to find a new place every night!  Also, great idea about paying to park in someone's garage or driveway!

BigT said:
I don't know if this helps answer any of your questions or not, but when I drove through/around Oregon last summer, I stayed exclusively at highway rest areas.  A quick search shows at least 5 in the Portland area.  They're really quite nice, and not once did I feel unsafe.

That's a great idea!!  I didn't even think of rest areas!!  Thank you!!

RoamerRV428 said:
HI
don't know Portland so will leave that to others who know :) but I want to congratulate you on your short time line to getting into your van and living the life!!

Only a year stuck in the city to pay off debt....not too bad at all actually.....and when that debt is paid?
Are you quitting your job and hitting the road?  Just curious on plans after that year and debt are gone.

Buy the van and set up you truly want.  Shop now and research and find.  If whatever repairs etc are too big on some of the desired vans, you are best to opt into a younger aged van and get some better mechanics.  It truly is about bucks on repairs and breakdowns on the road.  Those are too stinkers in anyone's book of life LOL

Happy you are doing well and on your path!
Thank you!  I'm so excited, though a bit terrified at the same time! Yes, once I've paid off my debt and have a decent financial cushion in savings, as well as having my jewelry bringing in steady income (though I'll supplement it with teaching English as a foreign language online), I will quit my job and head to RTR or a caravan, or some other get together, and then travel travel travel  :)

maki2 said:
If you are driving to the park and ride to park for commuting to work then you meet the criteria of moving away from the block face every day that you do that activity. On other days driving to the store or library or running other errands qualify. They just don't want permanently parked vehicles that never move hogging up all the local parking places, that is why they have that ordinance. It is not just about homeless, some apartment dwellers and house dwellers have more cars than there are provided parking spaces. But when those spaces get used for storing vehicles that rarely move the businesses and residents who need to park on the street get shut out of parking that is convenient to their location.
Thanks!  that makes total sense!!

I spent 8 weeks working in Hillsboro, I saw the same rigs every night in the same spots by my hotel and at the shopping centers. Most moved daily but came back every night. Some didn't move for days.

Given the homeless situation in that area, I'd bet it is overlooked unless there is trash or trouble.

I did notice that it seemed to be "one camper per lot" as you rarely saw two rigs near each other, and people seemed to have "Their Spot".

The same guy was always at the Target on 185th Ave, for example.

Then there was one relatively trashy motorhome by Orenco Station that rarely moved. Surprising for such a nice area.

BigT said:
I don't know if this helps answer any of your questions or not, but when I drove through/around Oregon last summer, I stayed exclusively at highway rest areas.  A quick search shows at least 5 in the Portland area.  They're really quite nice, and not once did I feel unsafe.
In August (2019), I stayed three nights at the French Prairie rest area on I-5 south of Portland. There is a northbound and southbound rest area. Oregon rest area regulations permit use of these area for 12 hours in any 24 hour period. And cell coverage at these particular rest areas is excellent.

In East Portland, just across the river from downtown, you can park just about anywhere in that neighborhood and be left alone. There are many more areas around Portland, just stay away from single family neighborhoods, look for parking signs and you will be just fine. Portland is one of the easier cities to boondock in.

I was there a few weeks ago visiting a relative in the Sellwood district. I slept in my van outside the house and there were no problems. My van was parked in the neighborhood about 18 to 20 hours.

Normally where I sleep, I arrive after dark and leave by 9 am... and really don't stay around long enough for anyone to become aggravated by it. I don't get out a camping chair and sit outside my van as I've seen people with RV's do in the Walmart parking lot near where I live. If you don't want people to know you're sleeping in the van, it helps not to use a light at night.

Latest posts