Free at last, free at last....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mockturtle

Reaction score
..Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last!  Cleaned out my storage unit this week.  Kids took some stuff, most was donated and the rest I took to the county dump.  Hooray!  Man, this feels good!  Nothing now but what I have in my Tiger!   :)  

Advice to you all:  Don't accumulate STUFF!  Just DON'T DO IT!   :s

Big Congrats! I'm in the midst of purging my townhouse. I've considered myself a minimalist compared to friends and families but man, I still have a lot of "chit". I find I have to keep talking myself out of keeping things I never cared much about until it comes to letting go of them and fight an anxiety of "am I really doing this?" I think it's all just a false security blanket that I have to shed in layers. I hope to get where you are one fine day! :)

Gigi

Congratulations!!
I'm oddly envious - it seems very strange to envy someone because they have less than I do  :huh:

Good for you!!!!

I'm the same as you Gigi, I always thought I was a minimalist compared to others but find I have a lot of crap too. It is a false security blanket, but we will be so free one we shed those layers. :)

AND, I'll have $100 more per month now to spend on other things! Like fuel!

mockturtle said:
AND, I'll have $100 more per month now to spend on other things!  Like fuel!

Yayyyyyyy!

Happy for you , I'd have to get rid of a LOT of stuff to move from my classC to a Tiger !

Congratulations! It will take me years to pare down to an amount I feel is appropriate for me, but I'm working on it. Big yard sale next month and I'm even committed to selling off some tools. Of course I didn't accumulate all this stuff over night, shoot, I'm not even sure where it all came from at this point!

mockturtle said:
..Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last!  Cleaned out my storage unit this week.  Kids took some stuff, most was donated and the rest I took to the county dump.  Hooray!  Man, this feels good!  Nothing now but what I have in my Tiger!   :)  

Advice to you all:  Don't accumulate STUFF!  Just DON'T DO IT!   :s

Mockturtle,  come over here and help me do it.   Good for you.  get those wheels turning.

congrats, unfortunately your advice, "Advice to you all: Don't accumulate STUFF! Just DON'T DO IT!". is 50 years to late for me. highdesertranger

Seems like this is the summer of purging stuff, lots of us on the forum are all in the process. Kind of fun and exciting knowing others are doing this as I am. Like we are all starting in on these new adventures together.

I am pretty much ok with getting rid of most everything I own. Just a few things I don't want to get rid of and gotta figure out what to do with it. My dad's toolbox from his carpet installing days, his and my grandfathers fly fishing stuff (I went to a Maine sporting camp for a week every year that was fly fishing only from 7 yrs old to 22 yrs old with my granddad, dad and brothers) Some of my Granddad's WWII medals. Other than those few things, and what i want with me on the road, I don't care about anything else. Maybe I'll dump it off on my brother in Oregon and that gives me a nice first destination.

Have a few buyers lined up for this weekend on the remaining big ticket items.

Had to bump this up as we're prepping/packing for the move back to Illinois in about three weeks.

We purged when we went from a house to a tiny apartment when my mom was sick in 2013, after she passed we bought and even tinier condo in FL and purged again. We've made a conscious effort not to more stuff since we got here... and yet we're purging again!

Last trip (of many) to Habitat I looked at about $400 worth of useless stuff in the back of the car and thought "I could've outfitted a van many times over on all the crap I've bought and then ditched". And I KNOW we have far less stuff than anyone we know.

Here's hoping the purge sticks this time!!

yup, every time I get rid of crap, more crap seems to move into the old crap's spaces
I'll be purging again soon myself

ArtW said:
yup, every time I get rid of crap, more crap seems to move into the old crap's spaces
I'll be purging again soon myself

I suggested we try an efficiency apartment to circumvent that issue this time... that suggestion was not met with enthusiasm.  :D

I wish I'd stayed in the efficiency apartment I had during my 1st separation, but my partner was unenthusiastic, as well
That's why I'm building a SMALL cabin, and not cohabiting again :D

See? And here we thought we are all kinds of special in the "too much stuff" department. :)
So.... The house is on the market, and as soon as it sells, we get to hit the road. Finally. Seeing all of you do battle with the same Stuff demons that we do is so re-assuring. Having gotten down to the things that meant the most, and that all fit into a 4 horse trailer, 9 years ago and loving the light feeling of having little..... well - I really thought that I would always easily live that way. I'll tell you what though, I looked around a few weeks ago in absolute astonishment at all the stuff that now fills our home! Its insane! And there are just the three of us (2 peeps and a dawg).
I know that once I get going on the "toss-it" mode things will go quickly. The problem is all of the family stuff that I need to get to family members - a lot of which is furniture. We are in Alaska and everyone else is in or around the Midwest. I have to examine the feasibility of hauling it with us and just making a beeline when we take off. Most is either too big or too heavy to ship without spending a fortune.
That issue aside - I think we might just want to rent space in an antique store to sell a lot of things. Get everything together, make a nice display, rent space for maybe 2 months and hope that most everything sells in that time. Does that seem like it might work? There is so little up here in the way of nice antiques that the few shops in town do an incredible business.
Other things, including furniture can go with our kids living here in Alaska. They are all young and just finishing school and/or starting life on their own. This is such an undertaking that I am doing everything I can to avoid having all of it hit us at once, like when the house sells.

So - to all you paring downers out there - good luck and Happy Trails! I will stop babbling now and go read more posts.

Good for you!!! I'm down to 1 room full of totes, and most of the stuff in those could go to the dump.

Tomorrow I am finally out of the business space I was renting. Apart from the stuff I was able to sell or give away I moved the whole thing -machinery , work benches , shelving , tools, etc myself over 2 weeks and countless trips. AND my messed up back has held out. Now , my formerly almost cleared garage is packed again .
I've never realized what a burden possessions are until now. I've sold and shipped around 70 items on Ebay so far, many sales and giveaways on Craigslist - a big yard sale coming up, and I still can't see the light at the end. I'd like to dump it all right now but I'm living on the proceeds from selling things - having no other income (a dollar = a dozen eggs)

But on the plus side, my matress came from Foam Factory today, so the trailer is looking more and more like home, and I used a battery booster to test all my wiring and everything is a -ok.

I got to avoid a LOT of the purging when I got to live in my van, because I had moved my "pared down" belongings to my mom's basement and garage for storage. (When I left my significant other I had not taken time to winnow things down at that time.)

So NOW, I have been working (slowly) for months on going through all the stuff my parents had accumulated (or kept from my and my sister's childhoods). First to throw mucho stuff out and then to try to organize what can be sold, donated, etc.

I'm in the same position in a way as IanC -- I want to get every dollar I can for my mother's stuff to pad her savings. Yet I'd really like to call Goodwill and tell them to back up a truck or two and take it all away!!