Found the dream rig: T-duck amphibious vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepare to conquer the world with this rig. Lol.
Boat camper video.

gsfish said:
"If successful how would you even get it out of the water and back onto dry land?"
   Guy

Yes, scratch off "hull around a bus or truck chassie", and circle "Putting a truck drivetrain under a boat". Thanks for the image, if that art car is in Black Rock City this year I'll have to talk with the owner.

Based on the information discussed in this thread about amphibious vehicles, my best bet is taking a production model boat, integrating a  truck drivetrain (with street legality #1 consideration) to the bottom of the hull (which should lower the center of gravity), and then go through the registration process to legally drive it in the US (enlisting the paid services of a professional vehicle registration expert who knows the nuances, minutia, classification criteria, state/federal vehicle regulations; what nuances, minutia, classification, state/federal vehicle regulations apply to my amphibious RV before I built it, as I build it, as I register it etc. so I'm not wasting TIME and money self-navigating the registration & regulatory maze while handle everything myself. Yes, registration experts exist and they're worth every penny is your vehicle registration problems are any more complicated than 2 items).

I have a lead. Theomonics posted a detailed build of their amphibious houseboat, their design doesn't look like it could be made street legal but it's immensely valuable information for my build.
The odds of finding a project amphibious vehicle that is fair condition, operational, street legal for5figuresislow
Amphibious HouseBoat | Project Build Backstory - Ep1

gsfish said:
Here is a CNN story on the Duck Boat that sank yesterday with loss of 13.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/20/us/missouri-boat-incident/index.html

Guy

I just saw the news about that. RIP VICTIMS. Either the company will become Americas safest duck boat operator or well see a few amphibious vehicles on the market soon.

The non-load bearing roof significantly alters center of gravity? And their duck vehicles are neutrally buoyant? This is why my dream rig will have positive buoyancy, breakaway roof, inflatable survival pods, and more than the required safety equipment.

Niche vehicle. Apparently only used as a novelty for tourists.

Don't expect anyone to throw money into amphibious vehicles, when they can throw money at self driving vehicles, MuskCars, or air taxi drones.

I heard a quote “there are no solutions, only trade-offs”. How many other platforms can reach really remote places, host a day on the lake, go upto 75 MPH on the interstate with engine upgrade, and provide at least 25 x 7 feet of livable living space? Oh the places i’ll go... Yes these are niche vehicles. One day Someone will unload a amphibious tour vehicle for a steal, and I'm working to be able to pounce on it. I will learn to weld & fabricate for a junkyard find, as well as saving half my after-tax income.

I rode a mostly original Army DUKW in the Kuranda rainforest on my trip to OZ, Riding shotgun because of my pre-existing interest in the DUKWs, I even asked to speak with the mechanic(s) post-tour. I recorded the entire 50 minute tour, getting shots of the drivers controls and ride Quality, will share on YouTube before the 2020 US Hegelian Dialectic (S)election.

Watching the duck boat tradegy, could it be that the lowly speed from the built in propeller made for a sitting duck in harms way, if they had an reasonable sized outboard motor or 2 they could have gunned it to shore before capsizing?

Somebody built one from scratch...
330px-Oyster_boat%2C_Gorey.JPG

Looks wider than 8 feet, and wasn't designed to be street legal overall.

I've been reading about metal boat building.
http://www.kastenmarine.com/metalboats.htm

I'm going to work for Western Express, and will keep my eye out for amphibious tour buses & massive, unsolved market needs in the trucking industry (go the thefastlaneforum.com to learn more).

There are many paths to my dream rig...

I got onboard this very mutant vehicle this year in BRC, and talked with the owner. I went below deck and saw an actual fiberglass boat was used in the construction of this vehicle, and it turned out it was. These boats will never float again, being built for land use only.

Don't base your rugged, custom amphibious mobile dwelling on vehicles that look like boats that are only driven on dry lakebeds. 

My favorite words from this primer on steel boat building: http://georgebuehler.com/steelbuilding.html

... is there a calculation that figures how fast will you sink if you’ve used 1/8” plate to how many times you’ll wish you used 3/16” before you drowned? Lets call it, say, the “how long can you tread water” coefficient....)

Fifty miles per hour top speed with a 240 mile range. Won't be a freeway cruiser. Wonder how big the fuel tank is and what tires cost?

Will be cool when finished though.

I wanted to get that post out so I had left out mentioning upgrades like swapping the engine & drivetrain for one capable of mainting 85 MPH on the flat. I factored these upgrades into the estimate to start exploring.

I think it's more like gallons per mile especially in the water. LOL

what ever you do that thing will never cruise at 85mph.

highdesertranger

Maybe going backwards over Niagra Falls! There are a few pontoon smaller house boats that are trailered and towable but I doubt anyone would attempt to pull them that speed!

KarlH said:
For that price you could get one of these:
https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1336271/

You know, if I had a little more money or fewer expenses, I'd be kinda tempted :)

It's 26 feet wide.

And you get TWO of them for 50G. These can make great bug out vehicles though if you  modify it to become a rolling fuel tank. 

Make/model
LARC LX
Category
Used commercial boat for sale
Price
$50,000 USD
Get a foreign exchange quote
Price comment
NEW LISTING
Name of boat
LARC LX
Year of manufacture