Putting money into keeping a built-up van on the road vs a normal vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannautical engineer

Reaction score
How do people feel about the amount of money they're willing to put into repairs on a nicely built out vehicle as compared to a normal every day car?

I'm facing a little bit of a dilemma because I made the choice to put a lot of time and effort into building out a van that is not in spectacular mechanical shape.

I started this as just a project to pass the time while there was nothing to do this winter because of the pandemic, but as I've gotten further into the build and I now have over 350 hours of work put into it, and it's probably going to be around 500 when I'm done, I'm realizing that I'm probably going to be pretty attached to this van.

Only problem is that the 2011 Transit Connect I bought to do this build has almost 150,000mi on it, and has a significant amount of rust on the rocker panels. The drivetrain seems ok though, it drives fine, and any mechanical work except for body work I can do myself for cheap. If I really thought about how much time and effort it was going to take to build it into what I wanted it to be, I probably would have held out for a better van. But the van was a pretty good deal, and I was just thinking about it as a fun project, not something I would get this personally invested in.

With any normal 9 year old Transit Connect with 150k on it, I think most people would probably just let the rocker panels rust away, figuring that the van would be headed to the junkyard by the time the rust got bad enough to really be a problem. But I'm seriously considering taking it to a body shop sometime after I'm done with the build. Even though I know it would be silly to put that kind of money into a normal cargo van, maybe having so much time and effort put into the rest of the van makes it worth it to have some of the body issues fixed? I know new rockers will probably run a couple thousand bucks.

I know ultimately it comes down to how much I think is worth it to spend on it, but I guess I'm just wondering how other people look at putting money into vehicles they've spent some time and effort building out compared to a normal vehicle.

Will you be full timing? That would make a difference to most folks.

Have you looked into rust repair panels? It's possible to put them on without lots of work by using glue.

What about the rest of the van? The rust just can't be the rockers, can it? You know they say rust is like an ice berg, You only see 10% of it. Highdesertranger

My 2000 Roadtrek has over 150K on the clock. It is in the shop right now getting a paint job as it was starting to look a little derelict. I am totally invested in keeping it going hopefully as long as I can keep going. New engine or trans needed? It will happen. I have made too many modifications to fit me better and I sure don't want to do all of that again.

B and C said:
My 2000 Roadtrek has over 150K on the clock.  I am totally invested in keeping it going hopefully as long as I can keep going.  New engine or trans needed?  It will happen.

Will you wait until the tranny dies on the road or would you consider doing a pre-emptive rebuild?

My old van has 147k on it and the tranny works OK now but I'm wondering if I should get it rebuilt before I hit the road in Apr. or May.

I'm looking at doing 8-10k miles this summer thru Fall.

Adding to what HDR said, rust is like cancer too. Once it starts, it gets bad fast! Any rot I would cut out to good metal and paint it there to stop it from spreading. Sometimes you can catch the rust before it turns into rot. Rust patches? Paint bubbles? Hit it with an angle grinder and paint it with something. Having odd colored patches is a lot better than giant rusty holes...

slow2day said:
Will you wait until the tranny dies on the road or would you consider doing a pre-emptive rebuild?

I will wait until the first signs of trouble before doing anything.  I have had to put money into keeping the motor going (while on the road).  Some shops will pull it out at night so you can sleep, etc.  Let them know that it is your home.

I spent a lot of time under the van working early on in the build, and the under-side of it is not perfect, but it's not rotting away anything like the rockers. The floor is still very solid with not much beyond some surface rust. I will probably go over most of the under-side with POR-15 paint at some point.

I have no plans to live in it full time, but I also don't want it literally falling apart from rust after the work I'm putting into the build.

Also it's worth noting that since this van is not going to be used for full time living and travel, its days of seeing a lot of really bad weather and especially salted roads are probably over. Up to now it was used as a delivery vehicle year round. So it has seen several winters and lots of salt. That's definitely what got it to the point it's in now. But from here, I will probably not use it all that much through the winter. So, I'm hoping whatever rust there is on the under-side will not get a whole lot worse for a long time, especially with a coat of POR-15 on it.

The rockers though are a different story. There are a couple spots about the size of your hand that are about to rot through. That's why I'm thinking it might just be worth it to have those re-done as they are much further gone than most of the rest of the under-side.

If rust is a problem you are living in the wrong place or carrying corrosive materials! Lol!!!

B and C said:
My 2000 Roadtrek has over 150K on the clock.  It is in the shop right now getting a paint job as it was starting to look a little derelict.  I am totally invested in keeping it going hopefully as long as I can keep going.  New engine or trans needed?  It will happen.  I have made too many modifications to fit me better and I sure don't want to do all of that again.
Speaking as someone who did not think of doing tranny service and am now sitting at a shop with a bad transmission....
Consider taking it to a national chain like Aamco for a service / inspection. Aamco has locations all over the country and I am pretty sure that the work done at one location is honored at all?
I am looking at a new transmission, roughly $3,500 on a Rig that has 130,000 miles. My original goal was to get 300,000 miles on this rig before replacing it altogether. If I do the new tranny and get another 130,000 plus it would get me pretty close to the 250-300,000 mark. The engine (Ford V10) is fine but I did not know that Ford had major tranny problem during the early 2000's when mine was built. 
My replacement will NOT be a rebuilt Ford tranny.... But I  think Ive decided replacing it would be best for now.

I had the tranny serviced (also ALL fluids changed) when I bought my van and it had 95K on the clock. I've since replaced the brake fluid and coolant again. Preventative maintenance is where it is wise to spend some dough.

I appreciate this thread as a learning experience.  I hope the following does not sound like criticism but as an attempt to understand how people select their vehicles.  Putting 500 DIY hours into a vehicle that might not survive to 151,000 miles :dodgy: but is a "really good deal" represents a particular viewpoint.

A 2011 Transit Connect seems like an odd choice.  Limited payload, underpowered.  Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?  This article says:  "If you take care of the vehicle, your Ford Transit van can last as long as 160,000-300,000 miles.  While testing the Transit before its release into the market, Ford estimated its service life at 150,000 miles.  However, some drivers have claimed that Transit vans can last longer than that." If Ford said the service life was 150,000 miles, then the business that owned it may have fully depreciated it and have had no real interest in maintaining it for several years.

The problem is weight. Weight equals wear. Full time living in a van is not like full time living in a house. When "building out" a van you need to have a different mindset than when building a house. there are lots of new materials, methods and products that can be used that are light weight and removable. The "no build build" is just the beginning. Coated insulation foam, light weight interior doors, plywood less than !/4" thick, 1"x1" wood and thin aluminum angles and tubing can and should replace 2"x4" wood and 3/4" plywood. The complete interior can be assembled internally so that once assembled it hold itself in place and for security or high load areas existing bolts or fixtures will work. Lightening the load will increase fuel mileage reduce tire wear and increase the life of your van. Building in a modular method or using light weight materials that are easy to modify will make it quick and easy when it comes time to move to a new van. Living simply is required in a small space of less than 8'x11' in a van. Most people building out a van shouldn't be trying to build it like a house to last 50 years but more like an airplane that will have to be completely rebuilt every few 1000 hours.

Maybe. But my cargo van was just too rough riding until I put some weight in it. Much nicer after the build.
-crofter

What is the payload capacity of your cargo van?  A lot more than 1600 pounds?  I think a 2011 Transit Connect has a payload capacity of 1600 pounds.

A simple DIY would be to cut out the bad, glue in a patch from behind, and coat (truck bed liner) both sides of the patches. Amazon has the coating.

Anyone wanting to get into a rig should remember to shop long and  hard and not be in a panic to buy something.  You have time on our side if you just use it.  Just bide your time and good things will come about.  But.....be ready to move on it if you finally find something low mileage and solid.

If you have built out one rig the next one will be easier and you'll have a better idea of how to go about it and make a better build.

You could possibly sell it now and break even.  (possibly not counting our labor)

But lessons learned and you're still likely ahead of the game.

This rig could make a beginners week end and day trippin starter Van.  The body work may have to be fixed in order to meet vehicle inspection if that is required in your state so that you can sell it.  (that could be done by a moonlighting body & paint worker)  Just get the body work done and covered with primer.  You can paint the rest with spray paint cans.

Then take the rig on a few week end camp outs and take plenty of photos by park signs and road signs near some local larger cities.  Before doing that get some photos of your odometer. 

In the meanwhile start looking for something like you would have liked to have to begin with.

I have and 06 grand caravan with 164k on it, I am currently building it out now for full time, I have done a good amount of mechanical work to it also, and there is more I need to do.. But at this point in time what I have left is Minor..

I own the van, have no payments, So, I look at it this way, you can either make payments on a vehicle, or you can do the work on it to keep it up.. Keep in mind, I have done 90% of the work on my own. Which makes my situation an option. If you had to pay a mechanic to do the work I have done, it would have cost close to $1500 or more, I have about $600 in parts and my labor.

If you do the later the body frame must be in in great condition.. My van is a southern vehicle, so there is minimal rust, and I play to either have the van for a good long while, or maybe I will sell it after I get it built out..

I can say this, if I sell it, the next vehicle I will own out right just like this one..

Practically any vehicle on the road can last up to and past 300k, But most people do not do preventive maintenance ,  they wait until it brakes, and sometimes long after it brakes, which causes more issues.. if the body is good, frame, all the major parts.. vehicle will last