Putting money into keeping a built-up van on the road vs a normal vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had the fuel injectors on my '96 Express replaced.  Ouch.  Had considered this "upgrade" before, and I'm glad to have caught the problem before more damage was done, but still...  (Back firing from the intake and missing from a cold start is never good news.  The amazing thing is that it would run smoothly after warm up.)

Last month, it was time for new tires.  Tread was good, but time flies and they were definitely out of date.

Hope that's it for a while!

Every since I saw this this idea it has stuck with me.  It would allow for a new as possible pickup truck
as the tow vehicle and the trailer with slide-in (as shown) wouldn't weigh that much.

The legs under the slide-in would allow it to be set up in one place  (shown in green  and built from a junk yard pickup bed & frame)  with the truck & trailer available to haul supplies. 

It would free the owner to be on the look out for a newer/low mileage truck all the time.  With the slide-in
being cared for on a regular basis.  But in this manner the living quarters are separate from the vehicle and any one component could be replaced if it were necessary.  I could see a small motor-bike or motorized bicycle as part of this set up too.

Putting money into a worn older rig is a long shot gamble.  I'd rather have a new as possible low mileage
pickup as my tow & touring vehicle.  An older in good condition slide-in mounted in a pickup truck trailer conversion wouldn't be so critical maintenance or investment wise.  And any of these three pieces can be swapped if the owner found a bigger better deal on one.

[img=337x271]http://vanconversion.homestead.com/Pickup_trailer_Camper.jpg[/img]

If getting an AAMCO transmission you need to verify the small print in the warranty. I know of one individual that was burned because the mechanic said it was transferable, but not true.
This was for a rebuild, he only had 90 day warranty. Even if he got it towed back to the original dealer 600 miles away and they fixed it he wasn't getting a new 90 day warranty, just what was left on the first tranny.
He scrapped the truck.

Read the warranty.