FOR WOMEN ONLY: Would like to hear from women soloing on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kadi,<br><br>I too am a solo traveller most of the time ,with the odd family member along for the ride.They don't like sleeping in a swags on the ground !!!!!<br><br>My ute(pick up)\a is set up with &nbsp;a &nbsp;canvas canopy,and yes if raining i have enough room to roll the swag out inside and stay dry<br><br>Australia being a large place and days to get anywhere,and a lot of unfenced farming areas,I seem to come across many accident involving live stock,there for the only time a fire arm is needed.<br><br>In over 40 years of travelling in my own have never felt threatened BUT I go by gut feeling when i park up for the night,so far this has worked for me.<br><br>Safe travels<br><br>Ann<br><br><br><br><br>

I've solo'd and travelled with my husband OTR. &nbsp;I drove a big truck OTR solo. &nbsp;I'll be going full-time again solo in a few months. &nbsp;I've missed it.<br><br>There have been a only a very few times I've not felt safe, and those were mostly in places I had to put the big truck, the smaller commercial truck stops in scary neighborhoods, like Baltimore. &nbsp;I never really felt unsafe traveling in the Scotty or the truck camper, and only once in the lil Focus. &nbsp;I think having the dogs in the Scotty made a big difference for me. &nbsp;I'll have them with me when I go out soon. &nbsp;

You might want to consider carrying a firearm for your personal protection. &nbsp;I am proficient and very comfortable with firearms. &nbsp;When I go to Mexico and can't carry a gun with me, I always feel vulnerable and as though 'I'm forgetting something'. &nbsp;I know that not everyone is comfortable carrying and using a weapon. &nbsp;However, if you think it is something you might want to do, I recommend taking a safety course and really getting proficient and comfortable with handling, caring for and firing a firearm. &nbsp;&nbsp;

I have a concealed weapons permit for WA and it's recognized by quite a few other states, as well.&nbsp; I'll be glad to see&nbsp; more consistency between state CWP laws.&nbsp;

I'm new to the forum and wonder about the Girls Room. I'm 64, purchased a fixer '77 Toyota Chinook and will be leaving from Portland, Oregon. I'm not inexperienced, just find that I have more trepidations at this age. I made the leap into a plan of vandwelling and have a steep learning curve for restoring the Chinook camper part. I'm pretty confident about the motor, transmission, clutch, brakes, front end.

I posted on the Newbie part yesterday with a general Q and A which Bob posted for another newbie.

Helen

Helen

What happened with this thread about solo women? I sure would like to read more in this thread.

I'm 64 and will be taking off from Portland by April 1st. Everyone who knows me is very supportive. It was the lack of income combined with the threat of substantial rent raise that booted me into action. I went onto Craigslist and bought a project 77 Toyota Chinook the next day. I cashed in my small retirement to pay for the rig and repairs and get out of debt, then filed for early Social Security. The more I read on this forum, the less I worry. I also feel fortunate that the job I had for the last 7 years gave me the retirement and enough Social Security to make it if I'm careful. I know for sure that "aging in place" in a little house I can't afford is no way to live.

I'm 53 and have been a solo workamper for two and a half years now. I've also taken numerous long solo road trips in my former camper van. My plan now is to convert the old 1987 high top I now own and make a trip to Alaska. I just started a blog for my own enjoyment but I think many woman could really relate to the "issues" I've dealt with. I'm not old enough to receive any benefits so I have to work along the way. Workamping is great and I feel safer in a campground. That said, my ultimate goal is to travel so I love the info I get on this site. The link to my blog is below.

decodancer, I just read your blog and with your sense of humor you will do well!

Thanks for the compliment. It's funny, I've been told many times that I have no sense of humor. My closest friend will call me and tell me I absolutely must turn the channel and watch something. You can barely understand her, she is laughing so hard. I flip to the show and have to question that we are in fact watching the same thing. I'm enjoying writing the blog. I just added a new entry on cheap eating. I figure if one person gets a good idea, it's worth it.

BTW - hadn't realized that I'd posted twice on the Girls Room.

Thanks, Decodancer. I read most of your blog. It is really cool that you have your dogs. I so appreciated your cat post! I feel the same way about most cats.

@helinwheels - I'm also from Portland. Recently bought an '02 E350 and am determined to get out of Dodge one way or the other. I hope you'll post your journey, some pics of your setup and let us know if you start up a blog. Are you on schedule to leave April 1?

@Decodancer - I enjoyed your blog. You make the everyday slices of life interesting and to me, that's what it's all about anyway. Loved the one about your trip to the grocery store.

Sassy

Hi Ladies I too am new to this. I am in the process of doing the finishing touches on my home to put it on the market in june. I have been reading and learning all kinds of stuff for about 6 months now. I am 60 years of age newly divorced and so excited to get this new life started. I live in Vermont and winters are to much to handle anymore. Would be great to get to know some of you. Thank you, Sue

I'll be putting my house on the market next month. Looking forward to the adventure. When my late husband and I full-timed in the 1990's, the feeling of freedom when we left our 'stick & brick' was exhilarating!

I feel encouraged and refocused when I read about other women who have already done this or are now getting ready to venture out.

My self-designed and much-needed small home remodel on a shoe-string ran out of string last year. Now I am looking for ways to finish it and I'd be happy to sell it and pare down to a very simple lifestyle. However, I have a husband who doesn't want me to sell it. He's a home body. Everything is so up in the air with all that, I really don't know what will come of it all. For now, I'm creating my simple lifestyle in this way, and time will tell about the rest of it. One of the first things I did was give up my 18-year volunteer job and that has opened up loads of time. I feel pretty good even with so much to do.

Am I having a mid-life crisis? Oh, wait, I'm 64; I guess that's more like a well-past-mid-life crisis, but who's counting.

@GypsyMoon - I'm glad you responded, Sue. I'm excited for you, too, and will look forward to meeting you someday!

@ mockturtle - Spring feels like such a happy time.... I hope it will bring you luck in selling your house quickly! Will you have to wait there for that whole process or can you handle the paperwork from the road?

Sassy

I am hoping to be on the road sometime in the fall. I am still in the planning phase. Looking at what my options are on a vehicle. My car is paid for so I hate to get rid of it. I am not sure if I should get a truck and pull a trailer - or do something else.

All I know is I don't want to keep working at a job that I hate to have this apartment in a place that I hate. Sigh. It is soul crushing.

I am scared too and excited and ready to be gone, lol.

@ mockturtle - Spring feels like such a happy time.... I hope it will bring you luck in selling your house quickly! Will you have to wait there for that whole process or can you handle the paperwork from the road?

If I haven't sold it by fall, I'll take it off the market and head south for the winter then try again next year.

I wasn't going to reply to this because I'm not free yet. A few other wannabes replied so I will to.
I am doing what I can as fast as I can to get away. It is so frustrating, sometimes it's one step forward and 3 steps back. I guess everything works out in its own time but the older I get, the more panicked I get.
I have 2 houses to sell, one is ready but the one I'm in now isn't ready yet. I'm so fed up with my family, sis and dad-but on good terms, they just don't know how fed up I am. Don't feel I need to tell them how awful they are. Besides they probably think the same of me so its okay. My adult kids are about perfect, on their own and visit and call me all the time.
I feel such unease but the unease is pushing me in the right direction.
Thanks for letting me vent tribe sisters. I'l just keep living in my head and getting the houses sold.

Attachments

• FairyPup12 pROTECTED (Small).jpg
    FairyPup12 pROTECTED (Small).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 5
@GypsySilver - I remember posting you a link to a checklist for buying a rig. I used it myself when I bought my van and it really helped keep me focused. I think I only missed asking about one thing on there...and now I can't remember what that was...hope it wasn't too important :s

What I have (re)discovered to be true is what most everyone on here who has made the leap says: Once you make up your mind that you are going to do something, your mind gets busy with the planning and the fear takes a back seat. It's still there, but it's not in the driver's seat anymore -- you are. Pretty cool.

As far as what vehicle(s) to set out with, what I did was put to paper what I was learning and what I thought the 'good and bad' would be for all the different possibilities. It helped to write it down and it gave me some logical perspective. But at the same time, I discovered some intuitive feelings that mattered maybe only me, but that I decided to trust. For me, I've moved past doing nothing, yet haven't completely thrown caution to the wind, so I guess I'd say my gut feels pretty good so far.

You might find some inspiration from this gal's adventures about living in a Class C and towing her car.

http://travelswithmiranda.uskeba.ca/

Thanks for posting because as much as I :heart: the expert advice here and the encouragement from those who are out there and have learned the ropes, it also feels good to relate with others who are kind of at the same newbie place I am in this venture. ;)

@dragonflyinthesky - I'm glad you posted. I can relate about the unease. Now that I have a clear intent and have related it to my husband I feel much less uneasy and I am surprised by that. I don't think he feels so great about it though.

I have a bathroom to finish building and then a bunch of detail work, which has always been my downfall. Time to buck up and get 'er done, I reckon.

Sassy

@sassy - I have the list and thank you!

The best part so far has just been the decision to do it! And getting rid of "things" that I really don't need or want. The closet has been the biggest revelation so far in coming to terms with how much I had, versus how much I actually wore.

October is my target month (unless I get a little crazy and head out sooner, lol)

@ GypsySilver - you are quite welcome and I hope it proves useful!

I agree about the closet revelation. it was very freeing to sit amongst my piles of unsatisfying clothing and truly grasp the WHY of it all and it has been a joy to pare down from that moment.

Sassy