for the fixed income full time traveller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianTraveler

Reaction score
for those of you that started out full time on a fixed income how did you save the money to buy your choice of start up rigs? (help from family, friends or loan?) after a break up, he left me with no savings and lots of debt. now i live on $1000 a month (disability pension) and after paying my bills i have about 60 left for food and household items. i dont have a vehicle right now and only go out once a month for about 3 hrs to get what i need for the month. im tired of living this way and hoping to be able to find something soon and get free of this basement apt. im hoping to get a van of some kind, i prefer to get a higher top van because i have a back injury and i dont think being hunched over for long periods would be good for me. i also have two dogs so i dont think a car would work. vans are hard to come by in my area for less than 1000 unless they needs lots of work. i will be traveling solo and do not have a bf to do the mechanical stuff and i dont know hardly anything about fixing stuff. i dont know how i can go about getting what i need or will i have to jump in and work my way up? also is it possible to live on 1000 a month in a van in canada? :huh:

Welcome aboard Traveler !

That is a dilemma but not impossible to realize your dream!
Good timing and a little luck would be a big help though..

Let's try out just one possible scenario...

Move into a tent or stay with a friend or ??maybe rent a room if you have to.

If you haven't found a van yet save that thousand and start looking for your new home ,and maybe another thousand will join the first .

See where I'm going with this?

Others here will probably chime in with other ideas too.

AND you are now among a great group of people that have all kinds of experience that you can just ask anything and get a bunch of responses .

(We call ourselves the tribe and now you're in !)

The biggest problem you are going to have, even if you move in with a friend, or into a tent, will be living expenses, such as food and clothing at the basic least. You will have to tighten your belt and eliminate every expense you don't absolutely need to survive. I figure this may take two to three months at the very least, but with the proper mind set you can do this.
Welcome aboard, and good luck.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Canadian Traveller! There's lots to learn and a lot of people to help you figure it all out.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

plain and simple you have to get out from under bills. once that's done you're free. you'll have so much extra to buy a older minivan or car with a cheap used pop-up camper. you're income is WAYYYY more than my budget so you will not, with any common sense and barring ridiculous insurance rates, have to go without and still spare at least $400-500 a month.

It is possible to live in Canada on that kind of money but it's not going to be easy depending on where in Canada you are!

Canadian winters in most parts of the country can be downright brutal. Once you're set up with a decent vehicle and have things under control then heading south for the winter is also feasible. I live like a queen on not much more than that - six months here in Canada and six months in the US.

Sitting down with a debt counselor or even a good friend who is very money wise and can help figure out a plan would be the first thing I'd suggest. Without a debt load and with careful spending habits that income will work.

I know that since im already living on 60 a month for food and household things that i will do fine with my budget for that. im mainly worried about paying for repairs while on the road if anything happens. I dont have credit cards so i will need cash available for that as well as buying the vehicle itself.
no excuses but fact i have come to terms with are that because i am still young most of my friends have drifted away because i no longer have things in common with them. i dont work and cant complain about my job, hours or coworkers lol. so none are close enough i could stay with them. also dogs are an issue at some friends place mainly due to other animals or allergies or size (boxers). also because of my back injury sleeping in a tent will not work, ive tried while camping and it just isnt something im physically able to do anymore. i would love to go down to the US for the winters, ive never been there except for maine when i was about 16 (almost 30 years ago wow lol) i have a goal to be at the rtr for january so i am hoping to have everything i need and a bit of saving to make it there :)
i have a friend with a cavalier for 300 but it needs work to pass a safety inspection we need in our province for insurance and registration. ive tried looking up pictures of this car but not sure if it will work for me and the two dogs. i will take it tho if it doesnt need too much work and i can fit in what i need along with sleeping room for all three of us :) i will probably have to be out of the city for awhile so the dogs dont bark during the nights. ive watched so many videos on youtube i am so anxious to get out there. there is only 2 vans available in my area that would be perfect for us but they are 4,500 :/ ive given myself until cheque day to come up with some kind of plan so ive got 14 days. thank you all for your encouragement and advise. i will take all i can get :)

Welcome!
If I recall correctly, I think the person in this video is in a similar situation.
Living on $250 a month

if you get that cavalier it can pull a popup. If you do your search right and at the right time you can get them in the $500-1500 (and way more of course) fairly easy.

I got lucky my late wife passed away and I sold our house and got what I could for it and put the money away and learning to live of my disability every month . I do most of the work on my van my self or try to I took the house money and paid off the credit cards and all of the bills and now I have squat left

Do you have any friends you can stay with for a while?  In a spare room, their basement, or on their couch?  If I were you, even though you mentioned in another thread that you'll be auctioning off the stuff you have in storage, I'd see if there was someone I could stay with for a little while.  Then your expenses will be less than paying the entire rent on an apartment, so you could save up for at least a few months before spending $$ on a vehicle.

:) Hello and Welcome.  My son once had a Chevy Cavalier.  If you have Boxers they can stand with their heads out 1 window and their tails at the other window.  Might be a little crowded trying to drive?  

Last year I traded in a Viking Popup on another style of trailer.  I hadn't used the Viking for 4 years because cranking up the roof and pulling out the bed slides were just more than I had become able to do.

What kind of tent did you use and what did you sleep on?  One time here in Alabama I had a 2 room tent that was about 6ft tall.  In the rear room I had a complete bedroom with a four poster bed in it.  Of course I wasn't striking camp to travel at that time.  Only you know what will be good for you.  There are some bigger older mini vans that with the seats out might work.  I think you will still need a tent or good screen room.  Might be a little crowded in a vehicle all the time with 2 bigger dogs. 

I'm not familiar with any types of Canadian  helping programs.  Down here at your income level I'm pretty sure a person could get help with rent, utilities and food.  I'm not sure about what help is out there for non US citizens.

I hope things work out for you soon.

Jewellann

I have an 06 Chevy Cobalt 2.4l with 380,000 miles on the original engine (though I had to replace the auto tranny at 300,000.) To say its held up well is an understatement. For about 50,000 of these miles its pulled my XLE Aliner hardsided pup-up camper. If considering a pop-up, I would only consider hard sides, not cloth for FT living,, as they are much better at keeping the weather and critters out. You'd freeze to death in a cloth sided camper but stay toasty warm with a tiny heater in a well insulated Aliner. They are expensive new, so I'd recommend finding a good used one like I did. Mine is a medium sized model with all the bells and whistles, but it's about all my little 4 cyl car can tow. For one person you could go a little smaller, but the model I chose has a cassette toilet/shower stall, refrigerator/freezer that runs on propane, 110v and 12v power, a couch and dinette that makes into a king sized bed (we leave it made out), microwave, 3 burner stove, air conditioner, etc. which makes it more suitable for extended living. Hot showers are great, but it only has a limited tank capacity (10 gallon fresh water and 6 gallons in the water heater) so if not hooked up to a water hose you must refill the water every couple days if showering. We use a couple blue totes so we don't have to move the camper to refill and use a 12v submersible pump so we don't have to lift the heavy water containers to fill the tank. There are no waste tanks so we use blue totes to haul off the waste water too. The cassette toilet holds about a weeks worth of bodily waste and can be dumped in any toilet when full - no need to find an RV dump station. It's much cleaner and more hygienic than handling a nasty RV dump hose too (see the movie RV).

The money you save in gas towing a camper with a low frontal area, like an A-frame will quickly pay for itself. I still get around 21-22 mpg towing my 1,700 lb Aliner (and over 30 mpg when not towing) even with all the miles on the clock. It handles hills well, just not on cruise control, and whatever you get to pull it with, be sure and get a camper with electric brakes or add them like I did. Here's a link to a Blog entry I wrote about my experiences with one. http://www.cheaprvliving.com/which-vehicle-to-live-in/living-traveling-pop-aliner-trailer/ The camper itself has been very durable, just be sure and have the bearings packed at least once a year and put good tires on it for safety sake. You will have to replace the seals and bungie cords and recalk a few spots every 3-4 years but that'd pretty easy and inexpensive if you do it yourself.

Good luck,

Chip

Latest posts