Folding bed / toggling bed / murphey bed for my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FortWorthVanNoob

Reaction score
I had a hard time finding a design suitable for my 15 passenger van. This is what my grandfather and I came up with.    

All that I need to do now is hook straps to the sides to keep it in the upright position. 

I've always had a fascination with murphy beds since I had one in an apartment. Your mattress looks really thick, or is that just the pics? I bet it's comfortable but heavy. Have you slept in your van yet with the new bed? If so, how was it?

I always like to know why people decide to do this versus that. It helps me learn so if you have any extra time and feel like sharing why you came up with the design you did, I'd love to know.

I bet it feels good to get such a big project off your list and moving forward. Good job.

Cheers

Thanks, I'm definitely glad to move on.

I don't remember the exact dimension for the mattress but I think it is standard size.

I honestly can't tell the difference between this bed and my previous mattress that sat on box springs. It's very comfortable.

I wanted a fold up bed so that I can have an aisle way from front to back. I will buy a roller chair so I can roll from the fold out desk I plan to build in the front, to the back area where there will be a small kitchen. I also saw a video where a guy made the bottom of his fold up bed his closet and that's what I plan on too. Here is the first and only video I have found of a fold up bed:

Looks real good! How do the "legs" support work? Just with the one bolt? Is the support solid/stable? Thnx!

Cry said:
Looks real good! How do the "legs" support work? Just with the one bolt? Is the support solid/stable? Thnx!

Yessir. One nut, washer, and bolt. I just finished my second night of tossing and turning on top of it. Still seems solid. Ask me again in 6 months and I'll know for sure.