Flooring rug / vapor barrier question...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke

Reaction score
I'm putting down a rug pad and rug on the floor of my minivan which already has a factory carpet on it.

Should I put down a sheet of plastic first, then the pad and rug, or not even bother? I was thinking at the least it could at least help with spills...

Good question..I'd be worried about moisture getting stuck between the vapor barrier and the steel floor, via condensation or otherwise. I wouldn't bother.

I have some gripping problems and some days are worse than others...also a little dog that stays pretty close to me........If I am lucky I only drop empty light weight stuff that misses Queenie and doesn't break when it lands...except the time the can of refried beans fractured  my toe...it could  have been worse..... at least it bounced once before it landed on my foot!

I use light weight rubber backed throw rugs of various sizes in my apt.  and on the seat of my pickup..........spills will bead on the low napped ones and are easily sopped up with paper towels.

On long trips I've laid thicker rugs in the floor of what ever I drive as this is an insulation layer and in winter helps keep my feet warm and in summer blocks some transfer of engine heat.

The rugs are easy to keep clean and saves wear and tear on carpets...there is one across the foot of my bed during the day that Queenie lays on.  It's her 'spot'.

Happy Travels,                 Texas Jbird  & Queenie the untrained attack chihuahua

KMAG YOYO said:
Good question..I'd be worried about moisture getting stuck between the vapor barrier and the steel floor, via condensation or otherwise. I wouldn't bother.
Cool, yeah I don't think I'll even bother...