Flexible solar panels on curved roof?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes...go sunpower brand for best results...as always do your research and realize they might not last as long as rigid panels.

Heat is likely an unavoidable issue on a surface mount. The first generation of flexible panels had internal wiring failures. A surface mount would reduce those problems, at the expense of heat issues.

Those heat issues effect the panel and the interior of the mount.

Rigid panels are likely worth the extra effort.

DLTooley said:
Heat is likely an unavoidable issue on a surface mount. The first generation of flexible panels had internal wiring failures. A surface mount would reduce those problems, at the expense of heat issues. 

Those heat issues effect the panel and the interior of the mount. 

Rigid panels are likely worth the extra effort.
X2 on this. I have a 25 watt flexible panel that has USB output that i used to charge a usb bank. I laid it on a flat surface once and it heated up so much that it melted the plastic over 1 of the cells. If it has adequate airflow it wont do that. This was a cheap AF panel from Korea if I remember correctly. YMMV

Several YT videos about this topic, just search. Not too many longer term reviews though. I remember a couple that were done at the one year ish mark, one was good and one was not. Since then there have been some material improvements to the panels however expect earlier failure rates than not. There's a reason they have very short warranties as compared with glass.

(Update) One Year Later - Flexible Solar Panel ... - YouTubewww.youtube.com › watch
Video for you tube flexible solar panel
7:24
Follow Up to my 2019 Flexible Solar Panel Mounting Video. I tested my flexible solar panel mounting ...
Apr 24, 2020 · Uploaded by RV with Tito DIY

Thank you, All! Compared to the usual anticipated life of the rigid ones, it seems there's no real contest.