An Awning that doubles as a big solar "panel"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22017

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carolyn's RV Life on YT shared this. The awning is one giant flexible solar panel. I think she said it is 800 watts. Expensive ($4,000 I think) but what a great idea.

It may be a big item in time. As this stuff gets into domestic production use the prices will come down and a rolled up awning would create less drag on a moving vehicle than a group of solar panels installed on a roof. Not to mention the issues with having a roof without a group of extra holes drilled in it to mount panels.

Deployable Space Systems (DSS) of California has been developing this since the mid 2000 teens. Their focus has been on space going vehicles but the technology will likely find a good market with RV'ers.

PV Magazine covered this article back in June 23.

Roll Out Solar Awnings with 1000 W for RV's

I expect we'll get some negative comments from the pro-oil & coal crowd. :eek:

Nevertheless, this type of tech could be a true 'game-changer' for future EV and EV-hybrid vans.
Ford & Chevy if your listening: Consider a future van design where this type of retractable solar is built into the upper sides (roof & side wall interface) of EV/hybrid vans. Thus, the van could be lighter & more aerodynamic--by not having the standard/obstructing solar (& awning) attachments. A van so equipped could generate some serious solar power when camped--especially if solar awnings are on both sides of the vehicle.
YMMV

PS Bi-facial solar cells are a nice bonus for awnings...and the efficiencies are getting better and better.

Last edited:
A solid state battery plug in hybrid van with a good solar recharge capability would be great. It would cover many bases for many arguments from many sides.

Latest posts