Flex Solar Panel Mounting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlgadams

Reaction score
Hi All,
I could use some help/advice/suggestions on mounting a 100 W flex solar panel on the roof of my Hyundai Santa Fe.  I am concerned about having enough air flow so the panel doesn't over heat but also making sure it's secured to the roof of my SUV. Any ideas?

Better Way to Mount Flexible Solar Panels on RV (2019)

Also, view other similar youtube vids on same subject.

Matty is using industrial velcro.

i siliconed mine. but its a teardrop, i get an average of 50% of its rated output. no real airflow, and surface temp is pretty high. 4.2a from 200w ambient temp of 110f, surface temp of 170f from my elcheapo ir thermometer.

mlgadams: Not sure if this will work for you....I have flex panels that I can store inside my van.
Depending on the situation, I use 100 lbs. fishing magnets that I stick to the outside of the van. The magnets have loops. The flex panels have grommets on each corner. I stick the magnets wherever on the van, on top, sides, etc. then clip the panels to the magnets.
The magnets could scratch the paint so I would normally put cloth between....right now I'm using masks :)

I used industrial strength Velcro found at your local building store to mount two 100 watt flex panels to my fiberglass roof. Put it around the perimeter of the panels making sure to clean the panels and the roof with rubbing alcohol first. It took almost two full rolls. I also carry two more 100 watt flex panels as portables to use when needed, winter or shaded vehicle. I used some of the shipping padding cut up into small square to elevate the panels a little to provide airflow underneath. Not much at about a 1/2" thickness or less.

I would never use silicone on my RV for anything.

mlgadams said:
Hi All,
I could use some help/advice/suggestions on mounting a 100 W flex solar panel on the roof of my Hyundai Santa Fe.  I am concerned about having enough air flow so the panel doesn't over heat but also making sure it's secured to the roof of my SUV. Any ideas?
Flexible panels do not need airflow across their backside since they do not lose heat thru the back

Flex panels are made of ultra-thin silicon wafers mounted on a fairly thick (~3mm) polymer backing & covered with a very thin transparent coating on the Sun side.  They lose heat thru the Sun side.

Rigid panels are made of thicker (150-200 micron) thick cells mounted on  3mm glass and covered a thin polymer layer. Rigid panels lose heat thru the backside.