Flat towing a full size pickup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
I have every intention of being in Quartsite for a while this winter but I do have a logistical problem. I need to park away from most as I may have to run my generator more than people would want to listen to. I have an ATV that fits in the bed of my pickup. 

My question for the mechanic folks here; can I flat tow the GMC with the atv in the bed ? My mobility scooter would not stand a chance in the sand, hell, it gets stuck in grass. 

My tow vehicle is my 91 Bounder with a 454. I've got good roadside insurance, just hate problems.

Any advice would be appreciated. Rob

If the Pickup is a 4x4, you can usually put the transfer case in Neutral and tow flat with the transmission still in park.

You may want to consider a small trailer for that ATV instead. You can also use it for firewood, water tank, etc. if you boondock in the forest/desert. If it is small enough, and your ATV is big enough and street legal, you can also pull it with the ATV while in camp areas.

This combination would tow easier than a full size pickup behind that Bounder. That 454 is already working at it's limit.

what year is the truck? is it a 4x4? is it an automatic? short answer is yes you can do it. but unless you need the truck with you a small trailer might be better. highdesertranger

It's a 2001 GMC Sierra, 2Xwd , auto trans.....I am trying to avoid buying a trailer, I would have to store it when not in use here at the residence.

Everything is a work in progress as I stumble thru the logistics.

Thanks for the answers. Rob.

if it's 2x and automatic you'd have to disconnect the driveshaft
What you could do, if it works for you, is rent a uhaul trailer, trailer your ATV on that, turn it in after you drop the ATV, then rent it again for the ride home
that way you only pay for the days you use it, I think they're $20 a day
I have a 4x8 cargo trailer I'd loan you, but I haven't made it legal yet, and not sure it's enough trailer, anyway

Also, if you go with a small enclosed trailer, you've got yourself a place to store the ATV as well as other travel supplies at your home without taking up additional space in your garage/shed/etc. If the trailer is small enough, you can put a ball hitch on the ATV and maneuver it into a perfect position even in tight quarters, and then pull the ATV inside. The roof of an enclosed trailer is also a great spot for some extra solar, antennas, and other doodads.

Gunny to flat tow with a 2wd as mentioned before you'd need to drop the driveline which would also mean using a dummy yoke or plug to keep fluid in and dirt out. If you physically can't do it ask a shop near you to pull it, get a ride home, grab the RV and go hook up to it. Then do the reverse when you get to Quartzite. It's a pain but the least costly and annoying and you won't have to deal with a trailer. I wish I could help you with the ride in Quartzite but my passenger seat will be out for my cooler.

Some States require the towed vehicle to have it's own active brake system. A full size truck weighs maybe 5,000 lb. or more. Trying to stop that going downhill pushing behind you would be an adventure, (maybe a short one).

I set up my 2005 Dakota to tow behind my 30' RV. There is a separate vacuum pump and compressor to apply the brakes in the Dakota when I put on the RV brakes.

For what it cost I would go a different route next time. With a trailer or tow dolly you can tow any other vehicle, (not just the one you set up). Driving in reverse with a 4 down vehicle puts things into a bind quickly. Maybe rent / borrow a tow dolly or trailer, (with electric brakes). I think this would be the safest.

Thanks for answers, I may just buy a small trailer. A lot will depend on the money situation at the time. If I do that I will just bring the atv. I'm stuck on stupid right now, too many dr appts and tension to plan things logically.

Rob

Gunny said:
I'm stuck on stupid right now, too many dr appts and tension to plan things logically.

I hear you on the tension!  The PTSD is swinging around full right now and I have anxiety galore!  Good luck!

I'd love to end up with our little F150 Heritage short bed 4x4. Only a V-6 but with a 5 speed manual it's fun to drive. Chain it up and drop it into low in a 30 in snow storm and cut the trail for everyone else. Add one of those light weight cab over toppers and what a toad it would be. Did I mention for a 04 it has less than 45k and gets 19 MPG? sigh

I don't call where I am stuck on stupid, to me that's sticking to a belief that yields bad results over and over. I'm in paralysis because I can't move forward until I know what direction to travel.

Thanks, Headache. If I were to buy a trailer I could only pull it with my Bounder, my mobility scooter lift is mounted on the pickup. I don't see the mobility scooter being a lot of use in a sand or desert setting. It's a powered carrier so it's not just a matter of taking the hitch off without taking the wiring off. The Bounder has been parked by my apartment and seldom used. I've had a couple of offers on it and have been waffleing about what to do. I think some of my meds interfere with my decision making process, I have never been so indecisive.

I can always drive the pickup, It's not that big of a deal, I can sleep in a tent if need be and just put the atv in the pickup bed. I've had 11 doctor or lab appts. this month so far with at least 5 more scheduled. I am growing tired of them.

Many have it worse than me so I hope no one thinks I am bitching, my issues are all brought on by my life choices, be they good or bad.

Fair winds and following seas to all....Gunny

Hi Gunny, I know all to well what it feels like to have dozens of dr's appts and lab visits every month. It gets so old repeating the same old story to every dr's office you step foot in. I've got it now to where I only have 3 appts every two months and even then they still irk me every time they come up. But I am like you and know so many others are so worse off and I just keep pushing forward a little at a time. Here's to wishing you better days ahead.

Depending on what the truck is actually worth it might be less trouble and expense to buy a used toad that can be towed 4 down without modifying the hell out of it. It would give you the opportunity to lighten the load by buying a small vehicle and going 4 down won't eat up your payload on the RV. A win - win. By the time you get all the stuff you'd need to tow the vehicle you already have you'll have spent 2 to 3 times more money.

vanman2300 said:
Depending on what the truck is actually worth it might be less trouble and expense to buy a used toad that can be towed 4 down without modifying the hell out of it.  It would give you the opportunity to lighten the load by buying a small vehicle and going 4 down won't eat up your payload on the RV. A win - win. By the time you get all the stuff you'd need to tow the vehicle you already have you'll have spent 2 to 3 times more money.

Thanks Vanman, I was going to carry my atv in the pickup bed, sort of trying to kill two birds with one pickup. Ha. Things are up in the air about even going until I get some test results back. Thanks for the response..Rob

Gunny, you may not need the truck. There are people going in and out of town all the time. The first 4 years, I did the RTR i did it in a Class C. I wasn't fond of moving that moho just to go to the store so I found rides, except when I had to empty my tansk (even then, one time I had a mobile pumper come out.

I'm in a van now and go back and forth to town more frequently. I've got a passenger seat with your name on it.

Also, the roads around camp are fairly well worn and your scooter mght do just fine on them.