Tesla Pickup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend everyone to preorder one. It’s $100 and fully refundable if you don’t want it. The preorder locks in the price which could be great in these times of hyperinflation. Plus gas vehicles might be banned in 2 years or some other crazy event our brains haven’t even thought of yet.

Go for the top of the line trim at about $70k if you have the budget. It has 3 electric motors that will fly you to the moon.

Sasnak said:
I would recommend everyone to preorder one. It’s $100 and fully refundable if you don’t want it. The preorder locks in the price which could be great in these times of hyperinflation. Plus gas vehicles might be banned in 2 years or some other crazy event our brains haven’t even thought of yet.

Doesn't that kinda hyperinflate numbers for Tesla, perhaps over-producing and sales turn out to be artificial?
That's bad advice against an American company selling American products.

Sasnak said:
I would recommend everyone to preorder one. . . . Plus gas vehicles might be banned in 2 years or some other crazy event our brains haven’t even thought of yet.

Why?  The Tesla pickup does not meet my needs; I couldn't afford it even if one did.

And where is all this magical electricity going to come from?  Our electric grid is 70+ years old, we are close to capacity now, solar and wind aren't going to supply enough, and we aren't building new power generators.

Unfortunately we are causing our atmosphere to change enough that it is becoming apparent that we need to find a way that doesn’t. It seems things like forest fires, hurricanes and rising sea levels are costing us more than the benefits we get by using fossil fuels. We just need to find ways to replace fossil fuels with another energy source that doesn’t destroy the atmosphere. Whether or not it can be done as cheaply or not doesn’t really matter at this point as we are seeing not doing something will be even more expensive.

B and C said:
Instead of a 15 minute stop for gas, at least an hour? to recharge?  There are quite a few rechargers around but I don't want to plan travels around if there is a charging station around.
B and C..... they will work the charger station, such as quick food place next to chargers etc. In the 70's , the Mercedes  car guys/gals had to pull into diesel places to fuel up, you can find diesel at probably more than 50% of the "gas" stations now.

What many people forget is that electric cars burn fossil fuels. 60% of the electricity in America is generated by coal fired plants. Those who talk about the new green deal and getting away from fossil fuels are fooling themselves until they deal with how we generate electricity. IMO

HalfShadows said:
To answer your 1st question I cannot remember exact locations of nowhere charging stations, but taking back roads I have seen several and was perplexed only seeing one or 2 small buildings with a public charging station on a crossroads of 2 lane highway. If I find my pics I will post them. 

On the plus side I can harvest energy from the sun from a decent solar array to supplement my energy off road, whereas I cannot produce oil from the ground and refine it in situ.
Halfshadows, you are a thinker my man, never even thought about letting  my  extra 5 KW a day charge the E-truck battery when boon docking, great point. I can see you are open minded. That 1 hour charge time will improve, I can guarantee you that , the first computers were kilobyte, then megabyte, I cant even say the words they use now, lets just call it XXXbyte and growing. By th way, years ago you could only get diesel at a truck stop!!

bullfrog said:
Unfortunately we are causing our atmosphere to change enough that it is becoming apparent that we need to find a way that doesn’t. It seems things like forest fires, hurricanes and rising sea levels are costing us more than the benefits we get by using fossil fuels . . .

I find it an interesting study in human nature that people think that governments that can't manage a single variable problem (SARS-COVID-19) can identify and mitigate a complex and little understood non-linear multivariate problem as climate change.

The earth has been warming and cooling, weather patterns shifting, sea levels rising and falling, glaciers advancing and retreating since before history.  None of it caused by fossil fuels.

As to EVs, I still don't know where the energy to replace fossil fuels is going to come from in the foreseeable future.

^^^ I agree but you have to start somewhere. It has become apparent lots of things need fixing and before that we need to understand what and how to fix them. It is appropriate we should “expect” our governments to make it possible to achieve goals that make people’s lives better. In this country it is up to the people to make the government make it happen. Educating the people so they understand the problem is something that has failed to happen and results in chaos. Hopefully future generations focus on education and science and learns how to determine and prove facts not just “ take shots in the dark” at trying to fix the environment.

bullfrog said:
^^^ I agree but you have to start somewhere. It has become apparent lots of things need fixing and before that we need to understand what and how to fix them. It is appropriate we should “expect” our governments to make it possible to achieve goals that make people’s lives better. In this country it is up to the people to make the government make it happen. Educating the people so they understand the problem is something that has failed to happen and results in chaos. Hopefully future generations focus on education and science and learns how to determine and prove facts not just “ take shots in the dark” at trying to fix the environment.
Bullfrog, most people are not aware of how inefficient the internal combustion engine actually  is. There is close to 34 kilowatts of energy in a typical gallon of gasoline. The internal combustion engine converts about 7 of that 34 to spin a shaft, the other 27 kilowatts is making heat. One could say that an internal combustion engine is  basically a large heater with a small by-product of turning a shaft.  Something needs to change.

Lots of good thinking here but in different directions. Keep thinking and rethinking that’s the only thing is going to solve the problem. We’ll all be dead before they solve it but solve it they must. Science deniers are those who deny that the earth has changed temperatures atmosphere Sea levels long before man was around.This doesn’t allow us to escape the fact that we are breathing in this crap we put in the air and fill in our landfill with Styrofoam and other things that will never degrade. I’m skeptical of man made global climate change but not skeptical of the fact that we are screwing this planet up badly. And then raising kids will raise kids who will raise kids who to have to deal with it. Answers have I none I guess I’m not smart enough. It’s a damn shame we have to try to solve the problem through the political system. Do you want to talk about a system is broke - that’s the one. They Do very little in the way of reality and what they do do is just that Doodoo. Republicats and Demakins. One thing I do know is when they make the internal combustion engine illegal it will be illegal for us and the politicians will go where they want and when they want with whatever they want. When you and I are fighting over the last half of the last can spam they will be eating filet mignon in the Senate dining room.