FLA vs SLA vs Li-Ion vs LiFePo4 and air conditioning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingArthur

Reaction score
Let’s talk about battery chemistry.

The reason I ask this question is because I’m at a bit of an impasse. I’ve recently realized how little I know about the various types of batteries and how to correctly care for them. In this post, I’m going to put out there what I know and then hopefully someone will come along and enrich my knowledge and give me some advice or give me some specifications on their setups with pictures being appreciated. I would also appreciate if someone could point me towards more resources in learning more about battery chemistry and more specifically what different chemistries are more suited to certain situations and how certain chemistries respond to certain charging programs. What I mean by that is I’d like to know more about the intention behind bulk, float, trickle, etc etc. and the other charging jargon. Not only what it means, but what each phase is designed to accomplish any why.

I’ve seen plenty of videos on youtube and have read some posts and blogs regarding all these topics, but I’ve struggled to find anything really conclusive. So if there are any books or manuals that you could suggest, I would appreciate it.

Anyway, on to the batteries:

The way I see it there’s only four or five chemistries that van dwellers would be interested in at least at this point.

FLA, SLA AGM, Li-Ion (Cobalt), LiFePo4, and for fun I’ll throw in a category for what I’ll call ‘experimental’ batteries.

Each of these chemistries has a different character, and after I’ve found a good match to achieve my needs, I’m going to dive into researching and learning how to properly care for the chemistry I’ve selected.

Flooded Lead Acid:

These guys seem to be very popular on cheaprvliving right now usually as two golf cart batteries in series to achieve 12v. The advantage of this chemistry is that it seems to be more forgiving than any of the other chemistries when it comes to over-discharging and incorrect charging methods. They are significantly cheaper than any of the other batteries I have listed, and they are readily available at common retail establishments, making them easy to replace. The disadvantage of FLA is the hydrogen gas that is created during charging, the necessity of maintenance, and the possibility of spillage. These batteries are also the heaviest compared to the usable amp hours provided.

Sealed Lead Acid Absorbent Glass Mat:

Another really popular battery in the van dwelling community at large. They have the advantage of being completely sealed and can be mounted in any orientation. They do not require any maintenance. They tend to be more expensive than their FLA counterparts however, and are less forgiving to abuse. Seeing as they do not release gas when charging, they are great for small enclosed environments where venting is either impossible or inconvenient.

Lithium Cobalt:

I haven’t seen anyone personally using a lithium cobalt bank for their house battery but these cells deserve a mention. They are used frequently in EV and electric bike applications, usually in the form of the 18650 cell. Tesla is currently using these types of batteries to power its cars. They are commonly found as laptop and flashlight batteries. These batteries have an excellent energy density, tolerate a much deeper depth of discharge, and have an astronomically longer cycle life than any lead acid battery. The disadvantage of these batteries is their nominal voltage of 3.6v, making it difficult to use them as a house battery for a 12v nominal application. They also are more prone to explosion than any of the other chemistries. One must also be willing to buy the cells individually and either solder or spot weld the desired sized battery together, seeing as readymade Lithium Cobalt house batteries are obnoxiously expensive.

Lithium Iron Phosphate

These batteries are most likely going to continue to replace lead acid batteries in many application, house batteries being one of them. They have an excellent nominal voltage of 3.2v, have an excellent cycle life, are very stable and safe, lightweight, sealed, and have an energy density close to lithium cobalt. The downside is that they are close to prohibitively expensive, may require a battery management system, and are not supported by most solar charge controllers without a programmable function. I’m not sure if it’s safe to link these guys to your alternator either.

Experimental batteries:

Zinc battery
The Oasis battery

I know nothing about these other than they make wild claims and I have no idea if they are credible.

So here’s what I’m trying to accomplish. I want to put an air conditioner in my van this summer. I have a 2000 Chevy astro, very well insulated with reflectix on walls, roof and floor, 4” of denim insulation in the walls and 2” on the floor and ceiling. Also nine cans of window sealer sprayed into every available crack. The space is very small, so a modern energy efficient air conditioner should only have to run sparingly to keep the space cold.

There was a really interesting van tour done on a guy I’ll called hurriedyear. He has a website with the same name where he has an extrapolation of his entire van laid out for our viewing pleasure. He has a 2006 Sprinter with a 960w system, and 780aH of SLA batteries he uses to power everything in his van, including an induction cooktop and an 8000 btu air conditioner. He can run his air conditioner non-stop for about five hours before running through his useable capacity of 390aH.

I have the advantage of having a smaller space, and I believe slightly better insulation. I will also be using a window unit instead of a portable unit, which is less efficient than a window unit. My air conditioner pulls 45aH @ 12v per hour while the compressor is running. My goal is to be able to leave the air conditioner on overnight, I would assume on the hottest night probably only running with the compressor on for a total of three hours.

My van had 520w of solar on the roof (the whole roof, lol), which I think will be sufficient even if the weather isn’t perfect. I have a 40A solar charge controller that is just an amp or two underweight for the peak efficiency of my panels, but I doubt I’ll hit peak efficiency anyway, so I don’t think it’ll ever see a 40A charge.  The van is wired with 0 gauge pure copper, and I have a 1500w/3000w peak inverter to power my laptop, TV, and hopefully soon my air conditioner.

So that leaves one thing… batteries, and which to get.

At this point I think I should shoot for at least 300 useable amp hours of power. More is better. 500 is probably the upper limit; it’s definitely more than my panels would be capable of generating on even a perfect day. So that means I’m looking for a battery bank that has a capacity of 600-1000Ah at 12vdc.

That’s a big ol battery bank….

My van is very small. It’s too small to fit 8-10 golf cart batteries, and also ventilation = air loss = reduced efficiency, so FLA for me seems to be out of the picture.

SLA is a little more attractive, and probably the cheapest route at this point… however, these beasts( http://www.apexbattery.com/apex-apx12-260-12v-260ah-group-8d-agm-battery.html ) weight almost 150lb each and I would need 3 of them to hit my target of useable aH. Neither me nor my astro is interested in adding 450lb of lead and acid to our lives, and really I don’t think I have the space for those monsters. I would, however, go this direction if I had no other choice. I could make it work.

So that leaves the lithium batteries. They are very expensive, but they are excellent batteries. They are the most likely to be able to survive the abuse of running an air conditioner regularly. LiFePo4 is probably a better choice over making a pack out of 18650 cells, but I’m leaving the option on the table, just in case I really want to punish myself.

So I guess this is where my question actually beings (sorry!). Do you see anything I’m not seeing? Do you think I’m crazy? Do you know any nuances about LiFePo4 cells that I don’t know? Where to buy them? Where not to buy them? Do you live on the east coast and could I come look at your setup? I’m really just looking for more advice before I dive headlong into such an expensive and uncharted territory.

If you made it this far you have my deepest thanks.

I'll make it simple. With the 750w of solar I have on my roof I can run my 5000 BTU high efficiency window A/C pulling 35 or so amps in good sunlight. I have three AGM 8-D's with 675 Ah that will run said A/C over night. The problem is that there isn't enough solar to run the A/C during the day AND recharge the batteries from the last nights drain. A generator would be needed to make up the difference no matter what chemistry you use.

jimindenver said:
I'll make it simple. With the 750w of solar I have on my roof I can run my 5000 BTU high efficiency window A/C pulling 35 or so amps in good sunlight. I have three AGM 8-D's with 675 Ah that will run said A/C over night. The problem is that there isn't enough solar to run the A/C during the day AND recharge the batteries from the last nights drain. A generator would be needed to make up the difference no matter what chemistry you use.

That's fine, I don't plan to be in my van all day anyway.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=211

~500AH ~$3,300 for just the bare cells.

Plus protective electronics, bank & cell-level monitoring

Plus the biggest-amp voltage-programmable shore charger you can find, ​ProMariner ProNautic P or Sterling ProCharge Ultra.

Plus a small suitcase genny if you're running AC for many hours per day.

I have lived most of my life in large cities near the equator, and with good ventilation the body does acclimate.

I have 840 AH of L16 FLAs powered by 1000w of solar and it runs my 5000 btu AC fine.

But I don't see that you really have any options other than LiPO4 given the space you have. They have some added advantages of faster recharge, partial charge state doesn't hurt'em, and the 50% rule doesn't apply...they can discharge to 10% no problem. Just comes down to how much you're willing or able to spend...

I would like to point out that FLA, SLA, and AGM are all the same chemistry. highdesertranger

HEre is what I have learned about LiFePo4 

If you are hoping to buy "plug and play" ... you will both pay way too much, and you will get a systems that will not deliver the longevity you expect.

The reasons for this are 1) the battery monitors (yes...LiFEPo4 requires a monitor...it watches an for balances each cell to keep it all charging and discharging evenly) ....are designed to be able to "hand shake" with existing charge controllers (mppt).    None of the well known manufacturers are building to suit LiFePo4 battery needs.   Charging a LiFePo4 battery using leadacid battery needs will not be an efficient or effective process.

So.. you will come to realize that building your own battery is the only way to go...and then...you also find out it is a lot cheaper (a LOT).   I finally turned to the people building massive off grid homes (think 3000-10000ah !).   There is an entire industry that has the knowledge, technology, and products to assist in the building of a fully operation system
And the cost is not anywhere near as expensive as "plug and play".   

BUT.... the real price is going to be the monster learning curve you have to face.   There just isn't anyway around it if you want LiFePo4 that is reasonable in cost and will deliver the longevity you want.

VanKitten said:
HEre is what I have learned about LiFePo4 

If you are hoping to buy "plug and play" ... you will both pay way too much, and you will get a systems that will not deliver the longevity you expect.

The reasons for this are 1) the battery monitors (yes...LiFEPo4 requires a monitor...it watches an for balances each cell to keep it all charging and discharging evenly) ....are designed to be able to "hand shake" with existing charge controllers (mppt).    None of the well known manufacturers are building to suit LiFePo4 battery needs.   Charging a LiFePo4 battery using leadacid battery needs will not be an efficient or effective process.

So.. you will come to realize that building your own battery is the only way to go...and then...you also find out it is a lot cheaper (a LOT).   I finally turned to the people building massive off grid homes (think 3000-10000ah !).   There is an entire industry that has the knowledge, technology, and products to assist in the building of a fully operation system
And the cost is not anywhere near as expensive as "plug and play".   

BUT.... the real price is going to be the monster learning curve you have to face.   There just isn't anyway around it if you want LiFePo4 that is reasonable in cost and will deliver the longevity you want.

And that is essentially what I've discovered too. I'm not afraid of having to put in the research time, and making a few mistakes here and there. I've seen some very smart people even go so far as to use a Raspberry Pi as a battery management system, which is pennies on the dollar compared to something plug and play. 

LiFePo4 batteries are attainable from China from Alibaba for a much more reasonable price than anything here in United States, and according to some users that have gone that route they appear to be of acceptable quality. 

What I'm trying to avoid is a large failure here. I'm trying to avoid buying $1-2000 worth of bad cells, of destroying the cells from poor charging methods, of destroying the cells because of improper discharge, bad balancing, incorrect balancing etc etc etc. And I know I'm just seeing the horizon of how much information is needed to answer these questions. 

So you listed that the resources are out there, but not the resources themselves. Could you point me in the right direction? That's the sort of information I'm looking for. I plan to go to marriage counseling before I get married to these batteries here, not afterward.

Yes I agree with all the above.

There is a real shortage of clear HowTo's with links to "open hardware" gear for us LFP DIYers.

I think it's a conspiracy of silence, the vendors selling bespoke "integrated solutions" are making such crazy margins :cool:

KingArthur said:
So you listed that the resources are out there, but not the resources themselves. Could you point me in the right direction? That's the sort of information I'm looking for. I plan to go to marriage counseling before I get married to these batteries here, not afterward.

Technomadia has good information on doing it.  They went lithium several years ago, long enough that they could blog about the conclusions that they reached after running them for 3 1/2 years.

Here's their page on the subject:

http://www.technomadia.com/lithium/

The first thing I discovered is that there is a large community doing this work...and all are willing to share knowledge. There are many providing products in the market place too. The second thing I discovered is that being on the leading edge requires learning. Even the documents and knowledge I found required me to struggle to stretch my brain to understand. This is the price.

Well... this first is a document which I downloaded onto my iPad. It is still the best reference I have found...but..not the only. So, start here.... the organization that is building the BMS is also bringing out a charge controller to talk native to the BMS....this is the system I myself will likely go with.

Is there a way for me to down load it here?

There are several organizations building battery management systems that work hand and glove with charger systems...solar to battery. One such is outlined in this document

Failing that...drop me a message..with email..and I will sent it to you as an attachment.

If it isn't plaintext you can just copy and paste here, create/upload a GoogleDoc and post a link.

VanKitten said:
The first thing I discovered is that there is a large community doing this work...and all are willing to share knowledge.   There are many providing products in the market place too.   The second thing I discovered is that being on the leading edge requires learning.    Even the documents and knowledge I found required me to struggle to stretch my brain to understand.   This is the price.    

Well... this first is a document which I downloaded onto my iPad.   It is still the best reference I have found...but..not the only.  So, start here....  the organization that is building the BMS is also bringing out a charge controller to talk native to the BMS....this is the system I myself will likely go with.

Is there a way for me to down load it here?  

There are several organizations building battery management systems that work hand and glove with charger systems...solar to battery.    One such is outlined in this document

Failing that...drop me a message..with email..and I will sent it to you as an attachment.

Pm with my email sent. Thank you.

I'm not sure they are cheap...price range probably indicates volume discounts, so figure you're going to be paying at the top...$300/each.

The picture and description are misleading, as these are 3.2v cells, so you need x4 for a 12v battery @ 200ah, so $1200 for 200ah.

Not sure how that price compares anymore, but also consider min order is 5, not 4. And it lacks any sort of BMS or even a case.

Shipping can be a LOT.

And how do you know you're not getting factory QA rejects sold out the back door?

Even if they are trustworthy and have excellent customer service (rare) if you have a warranty issue with some cells, the cost for you to return them is prohibitive.

If you do go this route, only use vendors you have heard good things about from someone you trust.

IMO paying say 20% more to a local supplier is well worth it.

Off gassing is only an issue under charge. I've slept with my head right next to my battery for years.

Well, I think I'm going to change my direction....

After looking and reading and doing some research, there's a lot about lithium I don't understand yet. The cells themselves are only half the battle. 

I've ordered two T105's from Trojan and I'll be picking them up next week, but they are only a temporary solution while I dive into more research and figure out a plan to get what I want.

SOLAR LITHIUM AIR CONDITIONING. 

I've decided I'm going to experiment with 18650 cells instead, and the reason is essentially because if I mess up, I'm not out thousands of dollars. I can use a bunch of these junk cells I have lying around from a previous project to teach myself how to use and program a BMS, and use some sort of device to properly charge the batteries with a programmable solar controller. 

Wish me luck. See you in a decade!

https://goo.gl/photos/Ktju1KnwdLspNbUFA

Those DIY lithium batteries have caused more than one fire, burned down a well known YouTubers RV. I wouldn't.

Latest posts