First time at RTR this year?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't want a black eye for RTR. revenuers can get tricky if they think they are loosing money. highdesertranger

There will be no money exchanged for our Dutch Oven popcorn.  ;)

In that case, I'll change it to read "Best Change Your Ways, Q". Which is what I meant.

I am almost ready for my First RTR

Attachments

• 20181022_172516.jpg
    20181022_172516.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 33
HalfShadows said:
I am almost ready for my First RTR
Cool, the presents for Liv right up front, just in case it isn't obvious that it's SnowBunny. Hopefully, she'll have written "The Journey of a Dutch Oven: ..." by then. You gonna tow the MGB behind? (it'll almost fit on the front bumper).

I think I found one of those fancy heavy wire lid holders the other day if I can just find it now!

QinReno said:
Cool, the presents for Liv right up front, just in case it isn't obvious that it's SnowBunny. Hopefully, she'll have written "The Journey of a Dutch Oven: ..." by then. You gonna tow the MGB behind? (it'll almost fit on the front bumper).
One is a present the other is an agreement. That Old Dutch Oven is in need of seasoning. Just season it on a campfire I guess. It isn't as fancy as the new ones. But it works.

As far as the MG is concerned I have been neglecting it. Kinda sad about it, just wasting away.

I have always found it interesting and ironic, that no one is supposed to 'sell' items or services on BLM land, but it's ok, wink wink, to make youtube videos on BLM land, and those videos will be uploaded that evening and monetized for income. This is 'selling'. Or so it seems to me. 

That could also be applied to anyone who is a digital nomad, coding software, building websites, medical records transcription, writing a novel. All of this and more, is done while sitting on public lands with cellular data available.

I am also aware of vendors who get business by word-of-mouth: welders, carpenters, candlemakers, upholstery, electrical work, handyman jobs.

Just dont hang a sign out...it's a magnet for the 'revenuers'...

HalfShadows said:
My first time as well. Not sure what to add. expecting a unique experience. Wonder if there will be any Taco Vendors there
Oh c'mon now, all you need is packaged tortillas, canned beans and shredded cheese and voila! LOL!! This Texan will probably smell up the place with my Spanish rice, and/or Fideo and fresh pot of beans. We'll see :D  Heck, I'll probably live on sandwiches, chips and soda :-/

waverider1987 said:
Hi all,

This will be my first year at the RTR.  Finally doing it after years of putting it off but this year my van is ready and so am I.  I was curious how many other people this will be their first time as well.  I'm traveling solo from Virginia with my cat and hope to meet a few good people there at least.  I've considered coming early for the women's RTR if I can get out there in time.  After the RTR I plan to start my travels around the country.  I want to visit as many national parks/forests as possible and will be traveling slow and cheap, as I want to travel as much as I can before I have to stop and work somewhere again.  

Anyway, if this is also your first time, or second even, feel free to say hi, and maybe i'll see ya there.

And yep, not only will it be my first time, I just bought a pop-up camper Saturday and know next to nothing about towing!! And very little about camping. However, I will be taking some practice runs so that I can be ready for the long haul heading west in December. Hope to meet many of y'all out there!!!

Texas a few years back the government tried to make it so that if you took pictures of famous landscapes on public land and tried to sell the pics you would have to pay them money. not sure what happened to this as I have not heard. highdesertranger

Umm no idea. Never heard if this, but then again, I was never big on taking pics until, well you know, cel phones. Even now, sometimes I forget to take a pic that I should have!

Actually my point is that staying under the radar while figuring out a way to make a dollar or two seems to work for a lot of folks. 

And I might be someone who is bartering out there someday, me-own-self...

This past summer, I actually had a Ranger tell me, that one way they determine if someone is 'living' on government land vesrus 'camping' on government land was: were they earning a living, while on that land.

But even THIS seems ironic to me, since the Rangers are....you know....earning a living on government land....

So in my humble opinion...for what it is worth....the OP wants to do messages for a few bucks....I dont have a problem with it....of course....like we said, dont hang out an 'Open For Business' sign.

rosiemartinez1211 said:
Oh c'mon now, all you need is packaged tortillas, canned beans and shredded cheese and voila! LOL!! This Texan will probably smell up the place with my Spanish rice, and/or Fideo and fresh pot of beans. We'll see :D  Heck, I'll probably live on sandwiches, chips and soda :-/
If there is a pot Texas beans cooking I will sniff it out. And for the most part I am a law abiding citizen. If you abandon that pot of beans for just the minute amount of time, you may return to it to find that the previous level has dropped considerably.

rosiemartinez1211 said:
This sounds cool. Get all the Texas cooks together in one place.

The NPS has lots of unknown rules only enforced at the officer's discression. Comercial permits are usually difficult or costly to get depending on lots of things. You can not get married in a national park, you can , not take pictures for profit, you can not spread ashes of human remains, you can not fly radio controlled planes or drones, you can not put up markers or directional signs to a gathering without a permit. Your dog must be on a leash no longer than 6' under your control at all times as well as you must have a bag or some method to pick up and dispose of the dog's poop. No glass containers in certain areas. Noise control rules, open container laws and on and on. Strangely you can go swimming in the buff as long as no one is bothered or complains to a Ranger who must have a complaint from someone other than themselves before enforcing the rule. Usually you will be asked to comply before getting a ticket sometimes a warning ticket which is put on file and if a repeat offence then a ticket will be issued usually with a mandentory court appearance in our case hundreds of miles away, which transportation costs more than the ticket. Tis a strange world we live in! The BLM is a little more easy going that the NPS but still it pays to find out the rules before doing the deed.

You can offer FREE products or services. Just don't mention the word donations or anything to do with money (neither on your sign nor verbally). No tip jar. Most people will want to give you money or something in trade anyway. Sometimes they don't have any money to give you.
But you will meet lots of nice people that way, by donating your time and talents. Whatever money you get will be a bonus!

I doubt that anyone will be there to entrap us, but don't let anyone try to badger you into telling them a price of any kind.

Latest posts