First time at RTR this year?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
Hi all,

This will be my first year at the RTR.  Finally doing it after years of putting it off but this year my van is ready and so am I.  I was curious how many other people this will be their first time as well.  I'm traveling solo from Virginia with my cat and hope to meet a few good people there at least.  I've considered coming early for the women's RTR if I can get out there in time.  After the RTR I plan to start my travels around the country.  I want to visit as many national parks/forests as possible and will be traveling slow and cheap, as I want to travel as much as I can before I have to stop and work somewhere again.  

Anyway, if this is also your first time, or second even, feel free to say hi, and maybe i'll see ya there.

It will be my first time this year, too!!
Please look for me in my vintage 21’ 1978 Dodge class A with light blue stripes!
I’m really excited :))

Forgot to say, I will have my massage table at the gathering, so that will be an easy way to find me.

I think I saw in an old RTR video that there isn't supposed to be any "sales" at camp, but I trade my massage work for other services as well. Maybe i'll put up a sign that says "Body work for Gas Donations". I don't know if that will fly or not, or maybe just don't put up any sign. Idk. I thought I could help people's aches and pains go away and make a little bit of gas money while I was there, if allowed.

My trip to the 2019 RTR will be my first - as well as my start as a full timer. I'm looking forward to joining a caravan at the end of the RTR to help me get my feet on the ground. Since the current caravans end at the RTR I’m hoping to see the next round start there.

Likewise.  I wouldn't be opposed to traveling with a small group of people for a bit once it's done.

waverider1987 said:
. .  After the RTR I plan to start my travels around the country.  I want to visit as many national parks/forests as possible and will be traveling slow and cheap, as I want to travel as much as I can before I have to stop and work somewhere
I have a feeling there will be 5,000 noobees at RTR this year.

As far as visiting NPs and NFs in the west, I hope you realize there will be snow and cold in most them in January and February. I assume the South Rim of Grand Canyon will be accessible, but maybe not the NPs due north in Utah. Most NFs are at elevation, and it can snow any time. Death Valley and southern California will be warm. Good luck.

I'm planning to go to the WRTR in my car with a tent. My van won't be ready until March at the earliest. Not sure I'll stay for the entire RTR ... by that time a motel room might even be of interest. Who knows? Depends on how much I like roughing it and sleeping in my car for three weeks.

One of my intended destinations - after things thaw out a bit up north - is South Dakota, Sioux Falls specifically, to set up my residency/domicile. Since SD is a destination for some (many?) newbies looking to set up their domicile, perhaps one of the future caravans can make this a stop, especially if there was someone along with experience in SD domicile procedures. 

From my brief research on annual temperatures, it seems that late spring and early summer could be very pleasant in parts of South Dakota.

Matildas mate said:
late spring and early summer could be very pleasant in parts of South Dakota.

I might be going to South Dakota at that time to establish residency. I'm still thinking about it. My van should be ready by then, and I should be moved into it.

QinReno said:
I have a feeling there will be 5,000 noobees at RTR this year.

As far as visiting NPs and NFs in the west, I hope you realize there will be snow and cold in most them in January and February. I assume the South Rim of Grand Canyon will be accessible, but maybe not the NPs due north in Utah. Most NFs are at elevation, and it can snow any time. Death Valley and southern California will be warm. Good luck.

Yes good point. Will just follow the weather, keep to where it's warm.  Maybe venture more southeast...no idea, no plans...that's the best part.  May do some wwoof'ing if I feel up for it. Will see!

IDK if it is still allowed but at the early RTR's there was a lady that gave haircuts for a donation. No sales.

It'll be my first one. Have no plan except to point in that direction when the time comes unless something else to calling me more intensely.
I'll be in truck/camper that will look like this only with the camper pushed forward a foot and half and toolboxes in the spaces on sides:

cHUd0i4.jpg

a word about offering services at RTR. you MUST have the proper paper work in order to offer services or items for sale. BLM does not allow selling. the city of Quartzsite and the State of Arizona have skin in the game to uncover illegal sales. the city wants you in with all the other vendors. paying for your space and paying taxes, the state wants their cut. I am not sure about how they view donations but most locals have limits on donations or they out right call it income. I have nothing against someone making a couple of bucks, but as a CRVL staff member I must make my official stance against people selling anything and I am pretty sure the other staff members feel the same. so be very careful about this. we at CRVL don't want to get in trouble for letting illegal sales going on.

what I am trying to say in short is NO SALES.

highdesertranger

waverider1987 said:
Yes good point. Will just follow the weather, keep to where it's warm.  Maybe venture more southeast...no idea, no plans...that's the best part.  May do some wwoof'ing if I feel up for it. Will see!
I was all over SoCal, AZ, and NM for 6-weeks last Feb 1 to mid-March, and it was very cold in central AZ and NM. I thought it would be warm then, but many nights were in the 20s. However, if you get to Quartzsite, then it's just a few miles to the area around the Salton Sea, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree Park, and down by Yuma, which will likely be much warmer. So you can always go there if things are on the too cool side. Even Quartzsite is at 900', so cooler.

MaTaLa said:
I'll be in truck/camper that will look like this only with the camper pushed forward a foot and half and toolboxes in the spaces on sides:
That's an interesting rig. You have lots and lots and lots of space under the side eaves of the camper to put all that "stuff" you were so dearly wanting to bring along from the other thread, LOL. Don't need to tow no cargo trailer.

My first time as well. Not sure what to add. expecting a unique experience. Wonder if there will be any Taco Vendors there?

HDR keeps saying no, no, no, so you'll have to give them away for smiles. (or else plan to meet later in town for the money exchange!). HDR seems to indicate there will be gommint spies walking around looking for reprobates. Don't be one.

QinReno said:
That's an interesting rig. You have lots and lots and lots of space under the side eaves of the camper to put all that "stuff" you were so dearly wanting to bring along from the other thread, LOL. Don't need to tow no cargo trailer.

Haha, the only stuff they'd have to pry my fingers off of are boondocking specific equipment. Having done more than my fair share of working as a handyman that "be prepared" thing is hard for me to break so tools are harder for me to let go of. Heck, I'm gonna have a set post hole diggers. 

Hopefully I'll have the camper properly set and toolboxes in place this week. The black tank hook up was a drop down under the back driver corner so I took it out. Now camper will slide forward. Just got that done this AM. Tank was cracked as it turned out but I had planned on its removal from the get go.

QinReno said:
HDR keeps saying no, no, no, so you'll have to give them away for smiles. (or else plan to meet later in town for the money exchange!). HDR seems to indicate there will be gommint spies walking around looking for reprobates. Don't be one.
I hope I get the last Taco before the vendor is dragged off to the desert.