First Police Encounter...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IGBT said:
Next time you are at IKEA, just spread out some complicated instructions on assembling trendy wooden furniture on the hood of your van and people will just think you are trying to put together something you just bought. :D

And if the Rent-a-Cop gets nosy, show him the instructions and ask if HE can understand them? Poorly translated from Japanese instructions are the best! :D

One Awesome Inch said:
Good point. However, its never a fun thing to be woken up in the middle of the night... especially by cops. So its best to just not use it at all for sleeping.

One thing unique to my situation is that in my job they do a criminal record search every 3 years due to the nature of my employment. If I got arrested, though unlikely, my career would be over.

On the other hand, by having that credential you can show the cop that you aren't a criminal, but a law abiding citizen.
I never had any problem with the police myself, not until my beloved wife begun picking on me, to put it mildly.
A couple weeks ago I was parked at the house, watching tv in the van when I heard knocking. When I looked outside two cops where were knocking at the front door of the house. I came out and they if I was such and such. Obviously they knew who I was. I said yes. They wanted to know what I was doing in the van. Across from the house, in a private community some white van had been lurking around the previous day, of course, mine is also white. After talking for a few minutes they left, and never heard from them again.
If they come back again for the same reason I'm going to have to tell them to please leave as they are trespassing on private property, and unless the have a warranty not to come back. My conscience is clear but if someone thinks I did something then they better bring a warrant, this way I'll know who to sue.

Send your wife a legal "Cease & Desist Order"........ Get HER in the hot seat for a change.
Sorry, but when someone goes after me, I tend to get very vindictive and want some payback......

Luisafernandes said:
On the other hand, by having that credential you can show the cop that you aren't a criminal, but a law abiding citizen.
I never had any problem with the police myself, not until my beloved wife begun picking on me, to put it mildly.
A couple weeks ago I was parked at the house, watching tv in the van when I heard knocking. When I looked outside two cops where were knocking at the front door of the house. I came out and they if I was such and such. Obviously they knew who I was. I said yes. They wanted to know what I was doing in the van. Across from the house, in a private community some white van had been lurking around the previous day, of course, mine is also white. After talking for a few minutes they left, and never heard from them again.
If they come back again for the same reason I'm going to have to tell them to please leave as they are trespassing on private property, and unless the have a warranty not to come back. My conscience is clear but if someone thinks I did something then they better bring a warrant, this way I'll know who to sue.

That's rough bro. I'm really hoping to part with my wife on friendly terms... especially since we have two young kids I want to see as much as possible.

One Awesome Inch said:
That's rough bro. I'm really hoping to part with my wife on friendly terms... especially since we have two young kids I want to see as much as possible.

My apologies for all the misspelling, wrong and lack of proper words [emoji3]. I was trying to type as fast as possible, and... there's the end result. [emoji3][emoji56]

What I am going to type applies more to the traveler as opposed to the dweller. Plus..what I am saying applies to me..it won't work for everyone. I am male, and a big one at that. Now that I am also an older male, I am not seen as much of a threat anymore.

I have boondocked and stealth camped all my adult life. Never had the money to both travel and pay for camping, soooo. As time went by, developed strategies for the stealth part..and I was never very stealthy in my choice of vehicle. VW Westies (pop-top), usually, until I got all grown up and bought a for real RV..a C. Man..having a toilet and hot water made my life so much better. Anyway...back to strategy...I used to read an on-line journal of dude..Vagabond George and his method worked well. He had his Day camp and his Night camp. So..I follow the principle of that. I'll find myself a great Day spot..beach, park, whatever..and spend the day, as planned. Then, come night..move off to a pre-scouted location for sleeping. Night places can be streets close to churches or schools or a park. If it's a school I will make sure I am gone by 7am.

I move a lot..seldom am I in one place longer than a day. If I am going to be in small town/city I will seek out the City Park. Very few are signed off-limits. I will leave my house door open..sort of inviting someone to look inside. I'll be sitting there..reading or on a computer and am looking for that face. I used to have a cat on a leash..that was sure a fire friend  finder, now it's a little dog..same/same tho. I'll say hi..and engage in convo...anything to get that person to look at me and say hello. I will go outside..offer a coffee. Have them pet the dog..I pet theirs..we become pals. I ask them questions...what do they do? where is a good ...something..anything...bakery? coffee place? It takes the mystery out of it, for them. Now..they aren't scared of me. I am from away...we talk about where I live and when I tell them I live close to Alaska..well now..and somewhere in there, I have asked...'do you think it would be okay if I spent the night here?'...I am not asking their permission, right? I am making them part of the answer. I will try and find a cop..now, I worked all my life with the public and have been around cops lots...they LOVE to be involved in THE answer. LOVE IT. True...when/if they run my plate they get no flags. But..I ask them...'are you okay if I park here for the night? I'll be gone early'...again, I am not asking their permission, but they hear it that way, for sure..and I have never been told no. The police are nosy..so, often they are poking around my RV. I always have the door open...'go on in'..they never have. I don't wander about with a beer in my hand or a bottle in sight in the RV. That, is just a bad idea, right there. I might have something in a mug...but I don't flaunt it. It's kind of reverse stealth, maybe.

Another thing...whether or not you have an alarm system..but having one is best, get a flashing LED light, a blue one. I have one in the dash...shows even during daylight and a red one does not. Have it on at night. I drop a blanket between front and house, to block that flashing, but I like to be able to sort of see what's going on in front and I don't close all the blinds, either.

I don't use an iPhone or such, but am always looking for a wifi signal. I have a dish on the top of my RV that many identify as a sat dish. It's not, but I just nod. I might be grabbing a signal from who knows where, so don't want anyone to suspect I am on their network. Parking on a street next to a public library will usually have me on-line, although on occasion I have had to go in...computer in hand...get the password, get on-line, then leave and come back later, on the street. I use a USB antenna to reach out and find a signal. I never ever hack an encrypted network..that would have me in deep ka ka. There are lots of open networks that I can utilize.

Gary Haupt

Very good post Gary! Nothing wrong with telling the world, "I may be different, but I'm not a problem. But I am friendly"

Most people like that and respond well! And of they don't, that's valuable information too.
Bob

Gary, that was cool! Kind of like hiding in plain site? Sort of. Kinda. Meh. Anyway, I occasionally find myself doing something that looks bad, but isn't. I've had to go to a friend's car and go inside to take out a package she left for me. I look around for neighbors and pointedly smile and give a polite wave. I also have my dog off leash healing next to me. She also has a highly reflective collar on or she will have her vest on. A well behaved dog is quite helpful. While I have much, much less experience than you, this has worked very well for me so far.

I suspect if I get all uppity and say, "Hey! I have a right to be here and what I do is none of your darn business, so get your nose out of it!" I would get much different reactions. I would be right, but I would lose.

Still have not ran into a cop in either of my most recent vans.

I did run into one when living in a Honda Civic though, he literally just asked if I was sleeping in my car and left.

Greetings Gary!

I don't always do as much moving as you do, sometimes I will be in an area for a month or more, but like you I never try to hide the fact that I am living in my van.

I currently have no pets, but keep doggie treats for visitors, and showing affection for the neighbors dogs is a great ice breaker. I have always felt like making friends with the neighbors has been one of the keys to my success. If they know who you are and what you're all about, then they're not afraid of you and calling the police. Not that the police don't know exactly what I'm doing anyway...

I have always found that if you're open and honest with people, rather than trying to hide, you'll have much better success. Neighbors are always pleased to learn that my camper van is fully self contained with my own bathroom, and that I believe in the leave no trace philosophy and actually try to help keep any neighborhood I'm staying in clean.

Just because our homes are on wheels doesn't mean we can't be good neighbors. I've been known to help my neighbors with yard work, fixing their cars, and other things that any good neighbor in a regular house might do.

It is not uncommon for me to be cheerfully welcomed back into neighborhoods I have dwelled in previously.

Welcome to the forum!

I think I recognize your name... Possibly from the Warriors Forum?

I personally find talking to the local LEO quite fun. They appreciate someone telling them "thank you for doing what you do" and will usually give me tips about the locality after seeing I am friendly. (They usually run my ID also.)

Nothing like a personal guard while staying in a location.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Greetings Gary!

I don't always do as much moving as you do, sometimes I will be in an area for a month or more, but like you I never try to hide the fact that I am living in my van.

I currently have no pets, but keep doggie treats for visitors, and showing affection for the neighbors dogs is a great ice breaker.  I have always felt like making friends with the neighbors has been one of the keys to my success.  If they know who you are and what you're all about, then they're not afraid of you and calling the police.  Not that the police don't know exactly what I'm doing anyway...

I have always found that if you're open and honest with people, rather than trying to hide, you'll have much better success.  Neighbors are always pleased to learn that my camper van is fully self contained with my own bathroom, and that I believe in the leave no trace philosophy and actually try to help keep any neighborhood I'm staying in clean.

Just because our homes are on wheels doesn't mean we can't be good neighbors.  I've been known to help my neighbors with yard work, fixing their cars, and other things that any good neighbor in a regular house might do.

It is not uncommon for me to be cheerfully welcomed back into neighborhoods I have dwelled in previously.

Welcome to the forum!

I think I recognize your name... Possibly from the Warriors Forum?

I don't think most people are that accepting of the "weirdo who lives in his van". It only takes one person to make your life miserable. Personally, I much prefer my privacy but it is nice to be neighbourly from time to time.

One Awesome Inch said:
I don't think most people are that accepting of the "weirdo who lives in his van". It only takes one person to make your life miserable. Personally, I much prefer my privacy but it is nice to be neighbourly from time to time.

The whole key to not being that "weirdo" is by not trying to hide.

I hear a lot of other people's experiences on the road, and the general thing I always hear is that the more you try to hide, the more trouble you'll have.  My experience has been the same.

I don't think anybody is fooling anybody but themselves, and most people are much more apprehensive of the unknown than they are of the obvious.

Somebody who parks and is never seen might be considered a potential threat.  An obvious camper minding his/her own business isn't as likely to bring on the same emotions and fears.

I spend a lot of time in cities, I attend a lot of rallies, and visit friends across the country.  I am rarely in a particular area for longer than a month or so.  When I return to an area, I usually return to the same neighborhoods where I have stayed previously. 

Last night the local LEO rolled by and I waved at him like I normally do.  He pulled over and paid me a visit, anxious to hear of my travels over the last year since he had last seen me.  Life is good and all is well.

Living in a vehicle we're all at a disadvantage to start with.  Some people will think less of us for our choice to live this way.  The more "NORMAL" that we can appear to others, the easier they will make our lives for us.

In most people's interpretations, "NORMAL" people don't live in cargo vans or try to hide.  Most  "NORMAL" people don't live in camper vans either, but it is less of a stretch for them to understand.  This is where a little personal interaction with your neighbors can go a long way.

I met a guy earlier today, homeless, and living in a cargo van.  He eats at soup kitchens and panhandles for gas money.  He looked at me and my rig and said "Boy! If I had a van like that I could be somebody again!" All he had was a dirty old mattress and a bedspread.  His story choked me up.  He had a hard and fast fall several years back when he lost his job as an IT tech, and couldn't find another.  He has lost all hope and expressed that he wished he could just die.  He told me of being a reject, how nobody would look him in the eye, and didn't want him in their neighborhoods and blamed him for any nearby crimes even though he had nothing to do with them.  He also told me of being treated with hostility by the cops, and drilled about crimes in the area, and constantly being told to move.  He said everybody was afraid of him.  He does look scraggly, and doesn't act very approachable.  I believe he is ashamed of his life and what it has become.

I took him out to dinner tonight, and starting tomorrow, I'm going to try and start giving him a hand up, which everyone deserves.  I think I can teach him what he needs to get his life back on track.

The only reason I brought this guy's story up, is because I hear it all the time from people trying to live in cargo vans in the city whether they're homeless or jobless or not.  If we want to be accepted, even marginally, we have to abide by the rules and expectations that the society surrounding us is willing to accept.  Living in the wilderness is a lot easier.

My experience has been hit and miss. There is alwYs somebody who gets intense satisfaction out of seeing others suffer (schadenfreude I think they call it). They are everywhere. They call the cops on you and sit back and watch the fireworks. The east coast is especially prone to these people. Use whatever cliche' you want. 'Misery loves company', 'never hit a man when he is down, it's always easier to kick him'. It's all the same. Being nice and aesthetically pleasing helps a lot but doesn't always work. I am always nice and respectful to Johnny Law the the fact is there are many who enjoy the part of the job that allows them to dick people over. Unfortunate but a fact of life. It is sad but someone who gets continuously beat down eventually expects it, which in turn makes them a target to get beat down. Staying positive and friendly does help a lot but it Dora's not always work and the LEO who has an abusive baby mama and a raging case of the clap is going to share his misery with everyone he meets. The same goes for the lady looking out her window at the strange man in the van acrossed the street. She has nothing but contempt in her heart. After calling the cops to harass this poor guy she will go back to watching 'Cops' on TV because she loves to watch people suffer that much. Watching people enjoy life and get along with everybody else in joy and harmony is, to her, boring as hell...

But enough with the doom and gloom :) it is nice to know that this is not the norm and most are not this way :)

Off Grid 24/7 said:
The whole key to not being that "weirdo" is by not trying to hide.

I hear a lot of other people's experiences on the road, and the general thing I always hear is that the more you try to hide, the more trouble you'll have.  My experience has been the same.

I don't think anybody is fooling anybody but themselves, and most people are much more apprehensive of the unknown than they are of the obvious.

Somebody who parks and is never seen might be considered a potential threat.  An obvious camper minding his/her own business isn't as likely to bring on the same emotions and fears.

100% Agree with you!!

This is why I don't even like this whole 'stealth' attitude about van dwelling. To me, the harder you try to be 'stealthy'...the more obvious it looks!!
It's kinda like being a bad liar. The worse you are at it, the more obvious it is that you're lying!

I'm not always a warm, fuzzy, people person...but if someone approaches, I will say "hi" & Good Morning"...and smile.
If I REALLY don't wanna be bothered, then I simply go back to whatever it was that I was doing...no need to be rude, as this is what sets people off and sends out negative signals and vibes.
Mumbling to yourself is definitely out!
If you don't want to bring on the negative reaction from folks, then you can't give off bad vibes. It's simple math! :)

Off Grid, thank you for offering hope and a helping hand to a fellow man.

Patrick46 said:

Uh oh...I'm doomed. I guess I'll have to started mumbling louder so they hear I'm just trying to find my keys, or my pen, or my sunglasses, or whatever was just in my hands a second ago that I can no longer find; not a machete or anything.[emoji6]

Patrick46 said:
100% Agree with you!!

This is why I don't even like this whole 'stealth' attitude about van dwelling. To me, the harder you try to be 'stealthy'...the more obvious it looks!!
It's kinda like being a bad liar. The worse you are at it, the more obvious it is that you're lying!

I'm not always a warm, fuzzy, people person...but if someone approaches, I will say "hi" & Good Morning"...and smile.
If I REALLY don't wanna be bothered, then I simply go back to whatever it was that I was doing...no need to be rude, as this is what sets people off and sends out negative signals and vibes.
If you don't want to bring on the negative reaction from folks, then you can't give off bad vibes. It's simple math! :)

Exactly!  A friendly smile and upbeat attitude will usually get the same in return.

If I am new to a neighborhood, I usually try to work into the conversation that it looks like a friendly neighborhood, and do they think it would be a safe place for me to stay while I'm in town. 

This also allows for an answer that it isn't a very safe neighborhood, so I can make an educated choice on whether to stay or keep looking too.

Last week I pulled up to a spot that I've stayed at many times before, and there was evidence of many car windows having been broken out by all of the glass on the ground.  I decided to try a new neigbborhood that night, and all went well.

msbarth said:
Off Grid, thank you for offering hope and a helping hand to a fellow man.

It just rips my heart out when I run into good people who have fallen on hard times, and nobody has offered them a chance to regain a normal life.

Not all homeless people are deadbeats, many just need a little help but don't know where or how to find it.  They become trapped, and the powers that be would rather sweep them under the rug than help solve the problem.

Many of us can relate better to this than the politicians, because in many people's eyes we're homeless too, even though we lead happy and productive lives.  We're also in a unique position where some of these people are more likely to open up to us and trust us.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to offer my new friend some help, and that also gives me a purpose in life, so all is well.

Cheers!

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I'm fortunate enough to be able to offer my new friend some help, and that also gives me a purpose in life, so all is well.

The Karma is strong with this one.