First Aid Re: Hydrogen Peroxide

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The antiseptic properties of H202 are not old wives tales. While it may not be the ideal choice, it does kill bacteria and, when there is nothing else [like betadine] available, it works. Yes, it can irritate the tissue but it DOES KILL GERMS!

Why would there be nothing else. You aren't producing hydrogen peroxide at home you are buying it ... At places that like Walmart where you can buy Betadine ...

Soapy water also kills germs. It also has the added benefit of suspending particles in the soapy water solution- washing away the germs it doesn't kill.

Soap does not kill germs it is only a surfactant. Also, antimicrobial and antibacterial soaps show no efficacy than regular soaps. Lots of studies on the topic.

Just a handy hint eh off topic sorta but when I was working as a nurse back in the day when white was the uniform color any time blood got on your uniform a quick dousing with good old hydrogen peroxide would remove the blood quickly and save a expensive uniform. :)

H2O2 is indeed really good for blood stains. Oxyclean and H2O2 was all that worked on our ACUs and boots.

Often someone believes in the use of a certain thing more due to it not doing anything bad, rather than it doing anything good.  But people are creatures of habit.
Myself I have used Povidone Iodine with good results.  An Aunt used to really believe in Mercurachrome.

The soap thing was a silly example. Does it kill germs? For sure. Germs don't grow on a bar of soap because it provides a hostile environment that kills them. But is it in any reasonable way considered antiseptic? No. Any antiseptic qualities soap has is so insignificant as to be ridiculous.

I could have went the other way and said HCl or chlorine bleach kills germs, but it is hard on the skin.

Bacteria dies on contact with certain metals (most notably silver and bronze). That doesn't mean that ingesting collodial silver is a good idea or that it should be used for treating wounds.

Back on point, H2O2 increases scarring and is inferior to other readily available options. Doesn't make it bad ... Just makes it less good.

I've also been long concerned with anything that damages the Horny Layer. The Horny Layer is the covering of dead skin cells and beneficial bacteria in your body. When your skin is damaged the beneficial bacteria keep the bad bacteria in check. Kill off the good bacteria and you open the door for the bad bacteria to flourish.

"Hydrogen peroxide can be used for the sterilization of various surfaces,[39] including surgical tools[40] and may be deployed as a vapour (VHP) for room sterilization.[41] H2O2 demonstrates broad-spectrum efficacy against viruses, bacteria, yeasts, and bacterial spores.[42] In general, greater activity is seen against gram-positive than gram-negative bacteria; however, the presence of catalase or other peroxidases in these organisms can increase tolerance in the presence of lower concentrations.[43] Higher concentrations of H2O2 (10 to 30%) and longer contact times are required for sporicidal activity.[44]
Hydrogen peroxide is seen as an environmentally safe alternative to chlorine-based bleaches, as it degrades to form oxygen and water and it is generally recognized as safe as an antimicrobial agent by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).[45]
Historically hydrogen peroxide was used for disinfecting wounds, partly because of its low cost and prompt availability compared to other antiseptics. It is now thought to slow healing and lead to scarring because it destroys newly formed skin cells.[46] Only a very low concentration of H2O2 can induce healing, and only if not repeatedly applied.[47] Surgical use can lead to gas embolism formation.[48] Despite this it is still used for wound treatment in many developing countries"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

I've heard hydrogen peroxide works good as mouthwash.
I also use it for cleaning the green algae stains out of my 3-gal plastic water bottles.

For mouthwash it is only OK for short periods. It will eventually soften enamel if you use it often.