Fire!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be better for us to live movably, on wheels? More fire survivors? Some way to design homes so that part (garden, for instance) was attached to the ground, maybe plumbing and wiring part too, and domicile could be easily driven away? This website encourages us to think constructively in this direction.
Any regulations needing to be changed? Seems to me that we'd need access to ham radios, ability to carry enough water to live on, and lots less STUFF. What else?

Re: Facebook.  1.  I believe that some things are open to all, on Facebook (if it’s set up that way), and the County Scanner would be one of them.  2.  But you can set up a Facebook account just to access information, w/o having to post anything – all it does is open a door for you.  That’s what I do – I don’t give a rip about what people had for breakfast.

“…direction of fire is erratic.  Not moving in predictable direction.  No one has ever seen anything like this before.”

Wildfires create their own wind, and it often doesn’t have anything to do with the wind direction outside of the area.

“I have 2- 2500 gal tanks with official fire dept hydrant, on drive between cottage/barn.  Only good if fire truck here to pump it.”

Does the fire dept know about it?  Several years ago, I saw a photo in many about another wildfire (somewhere), and one showed a tank with a painted sign leaning against it:  “FIRE WATER ↑”.  One would think they would recognize a water source if they saw it.

Re: Ham radios.  You can have a ham radio set to listen, even if you don’t have a ham license, but you would need someone to set it up to the frequencies.  And, unless the law has changed (which I doubt), in a life-threatening emergency, ANYONE can call on a ham radio set.

TrainChaser said:
Re: Ham radios.  You can have a ham radio set to listen, even if you don’t have a ham license, but you would need someone to set it up to the frequencies.  And, unless the law has changed (which I doubt), in a life-threatening emergency, ANYONE can call on a ham radio set.

This is still true as of a couple of years ago when I took my test to become a Ham. I still haven't used my radio and I move too much to do the set-up for each area.

peripatetica: "Would it be better for us to live movably, on wheels? ... Any regulations needing to be changed?"

IMO, it's either prepare a way to leave, or prepare to stay and survive. But the majority of people always want to think that it Won't Happen to Them. They think they're immune to trouble or wishing will make it so or that God will protect them.

Most regulations are created to make money for someone. You will have noticed how well that War on Drugs regulation has worked for the last 40 years. If you're going to regulate something, it has to be worth more than hot air and money.

Years ago, Bill Mollison (Permaculture: A Designer's Manual) came up with the idea of a small, cheap, simple half-underground sandbag dome shelter to protect people on Australia's outback ranches (esp) from fire: Dig a circle about 12' in diameter x 2 or 3' deep. Around the edges (leaving an entrance) stack sandbags (filled with soil from the hole) to form a dome. Cover with one piece of sturdy plastic sheeting. Cover the entire dome with at least a foot of soil.

Most of the land in Oz is relatively low rainfall, so in wetter areas, it would have to be aboveground. No windows. A fireproof door. Two walls protecting the outside of the door. Some kind of air filter would probably be good.

Something like this: http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/images/projects/hermit24.gif

Or this, but CalEarth has moved away from basic shelters to homes, although the basics are sound: http://www.calearth.org/

But that would take common sense.

DuneElliot said:
This is still true as of a couple of years ago when I took my test to become a Ham. I still haven't used my radio and I move too much to do the set-up for each area.

I'm confused, there are several full/most of the 'timers that have and use their radios on the road; ... is there a reason why you couldn't do the same???  (I know there are several different type licenses, is that the reason?)

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
I'm confused, there are several full/most of the 'timers that have and use their radios on the road; ... is there a reason why you couldn't do the same???  (I know there are several different type licenses, is that the reason?)

Oh I could, but I'm only a Technician and limited to use of UHF and VHF bands and a tiny portion of the HF band. I could program my radio, it wouldn't be hard but I'd have to reprogram it for every new area. UHF and VHF are only really good for short-distance. I could get my General license but I really only got it for emergencies and got lazy about studying.

HF radios and all the gear (antennas etc) are also expensive, whereas UHF/VHF radios are about $40 from Amazon

If I may be so bold to add a few things...
During my move plastic tubs, with lockable handles, were indispensable. Stuff didn't fly out. Burning embers and pink fire retardant didn't fall in. I keep a handful on hand. They don't take up much space when stacked. If you don't want them afterwards, others will appreciate them as they rebuild.
You may be able to get animal feed from the rescue places.
The fire department may have different priorities than saving one property. Even if they find your tank and pump it dry that doesn't mean its going to be used on your place.
Be sure and take some photos before you leave. Also take photos of your animals in case they have to be moved and you have to prove they are yours.
With chaos comes opportunity. This is what thieves think. Even at the evacuation centers.
There can never be enough coloring books and crayons at evacuation centers.
If you think people find evacuation centers stressful, it's twice as hard on the pets.
Five miles away where there is no fire danger, life goes on as usual. I thought it so odd that people were shopping for birthday groceries and concrete was being poured into frames.
People will carry their important documents in their trunks for months afterward.

sad.gif
Fire Update Today:  Oct 15

For those with youtube bandwidth, I  *strongly recommend*  a viewing.  Before I found this video, rumors in my county already were circulating.  Residents spoke up & reported these sightings to CalFire.  Note:  This info is not for anyone who prefers to remain in the dark.  Info is chilling.  Folks, SHTF is now reality. 

*Train Chaser* you are one I feel sure will have no trouble absorbing this whopping grim, new piece of intel.
As in Trump announcement "calm before the storm?"  As Trump said, "Wait and see."

The video is produced by a fellow county resident, beautifully produced. completely credible, lovely soundtrack.  Best to watch thru to end.  Most salient info in second half.  

Charlotte

bigsallysmom said:
Five miles away where there is no fire danger, life goes on as usual. 
People will carry their important documents in their trunks for months afterward.

Thanks, good info & useful for many many of us into our futures anywhere with fire. 

BTW, at some point, later on I look forward to time/opportunity to chat with you re New Mexico.  So I will stay "in touch" best I can. 
Cheers,
Charlotte

TrainChaser said:
IMO, it's either prepare a way to leave, or prepare to stay and survive.  But the majority of people always want to think that it Won't Happen to Them.  They think they're immune to trouble or wishing will make it so or that God will protect them.
Morning TC,
I hope one day to meet you, as we seem to be on same page about many things, including permaculture, below ground structures, etc.  If/when I survive this current emergency, & make a successful to relocatipn to NM, brave new world no calls for new approaches. 
Great minds think alike (wink)
rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

Re: the video:
1. The videographer can't figure out why cars contaning gasoline burned so thoroughly.
2. One house burns, another is fine. >>> That's how it goes in wildfires and tornados, both create their own winds and direction.
3. "Where is the glass?" She's looking at the burned out cars and asking where the glass is. Go to YouTube and type in 'burned out cars' and look for glass. What? All the windows are empty? Maybe because the gasket disintegrated due to heat? Even neoprene can only tolerate up to 500F.
4. "It doesn't make any sense how this fired burned... How did it (the fire) cross the street?" IT'S A WILDFIRE, Flying sparks everywhere, landing on and in combustible materials. How did it cross the street? Fires cross multiple-lane freeways! With 80 mph winds, yes, they CAN carry burning debris quite a ways.

Check out this guy's website. Not only is he unable to think coherently, but he can't spell, either. And he thinks the earth is flat. IOW, he's a typical millennial: poorly educated, can't think, can't put facts together to form a reasonable conclusion, etc. But he HAS accumulated more than 80,000 views in 24 hours, which has made him about $240, and THAT is the reason for his video.

Getting back to the real world: when the land is hot and extremely dry, what is the usual source of fires other than lightning strikes? I trust that most of you won't need the allowed three chances.

Charlotte\ said:
sad.gif
Fire Update Today:  Oct 15

For those with youtube bandwidth, I  *strongly recommend*  a viewing.  Before I found this video, rumors in my county already were circulating.  Residents spoke up & reported these sightings to CalFire.  Note:  This info is not for anyone who prefers to remain in the dark.  Info is chilling.  Folks, SHTF is now reality. 

*Train Chaser* you are one I feel sure will have no trouble absorbing this whopping grim, new piece of intel.
As in Trump announcement "calm before the storm?"  As Trump said, "Wait and see."

The video is produced by a fellow county resident, beautifully produced. completely credible, lovely soundtrack.  Best to watch thru to end.  Most salient info in second half.  

Charlotte

Charlotte
My wife and I are Well aware of the grim Revelations that you speak and also the reason why we are heading for the hills. We refuse to be part of this atrocity and hope to find like minded people for support and refuge.
casper

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

I lived in Australian bush land for decades, and fires came through regularly, as the landscape was designed.

Fireballs travel a hundred yards across untouched forest, huge fire-generated hurricane force winds throw burning trees around, just the radiant heat passing by a home's picture windows causes the furniture inside to spontaneously combust.

Yes some of this is because eucalyptus, but there's tons of that all over Cali.

Charlotte\ said:
The Redwood Complex fire has only just gotten rolling.  Higher temps & more big winds expected thru weekend.  My little neck of woods, not far from coast, will likely be last  *shoe*  to drop. 

Stay safe/well everyone.  For many, SHTF is now.
confused.gif

Be good to one another.

Charlotte

Though the winds have died down and fires are being contained on a greater level, I see that the Nun's Fire is turning north and, according to the L.A. Times, previously "safe" areas are now of concern, as I am for you as I'm not aware of your proximity to these named fire areas. All the best to you...

sephson said:
I'm about ten miles south of the Canyon Fire in Orange County. I'm not in any danger and barring a major shift in wind direction, I'm likely to stay out of danger.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/1...day-in-east-anaheim-with-6000-acres-consumed/

Ten years ago a fire came within a half a mile of my place. That was a bit scary, but even then I was in no danger. I just moved back into my mom's place for a week.

Were you able to remain safe and out of harm's way?

casper said:
Charlotte
My wife and I are Well aware of the grim Revelations that you speak and also the reason why we are heading for the hills. We refuse to be part of this atrocity and hope to find like minded people for support and refuge.
casper

Save

Charlotte check this out if you have not already seen it.
casper

TrainChaser said:
Re: the video:
1. The videographer can't figure out why cars contaning gasoline burned so thoroughly.
2. One house burns, another is fine. >>> That's how it goes in wildfires and tornados, both create their own winds and direction.
3. "Where is the glass?"  She's looking at the burned out cars and asking where the glass is.   Go to YouTube and type in 'burned out cars' and look for glass.  What?  All the windows are empty?  Maybe because the gasket disintegrated due to heat?  Even neoprene can only tolerate up to 500F.
4. "It doesn't make any sense how this fired burned...  How did it (the fire) cross the street?"   IT'S A WILDFIRE,  Flying sparks everywhere, landing on and in combustible materials.  How did it cross the street?  Fires cross multiple-lane freeways!  With 80 mph winds, yes, they CAN carry burning debris quite a ways.

Check out this guy's website.  Not only is he unable to think coherently, but he can't spell, either.  And he thinks the earth is flat.  IOW, he's a typical millennial:  poorly educated, can't think, can't put facts together to form a reasonable conclusion, etc.  But he HAS accumulated more than 80,000 views in 24 hours, which has made him about $240, and THAT is the reason for his video.

Getting back to the real world:  when the land is hot and extremely dry, what is the usual source of fires other than lightning strikes?  I trust that most of you won't need the allowed three chances.

TrainChaser
are you sure you want to take stance?
casper.

Conspiracy theory fear mongering cr^p, a huge part of what's wrong with our society today.

Not a native English speaker, likely paid troll.

ok I am closing this thread it's way off the rails. if you want to talk conspiracy theories there are plenty of web sites/forums for that. highdesertranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts