Fire extinguishers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just one of those trained, tried and tested folks. Currently I don't have anything more valuable than me that I carry and need to save. I'll empty one or possibly two powder ABC extinguishers then I'll get back and watch it burn.

Just a thought, I wonder how many have actually used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire, either test or real property damage?

I chilled a 6 pack with a CO 2 extinguisher once.....does that count? :rolleyes:

johnny b said:
I chilled a 6 pack with a CO 2 extinguisher once.....does that count? :rolleyes:

No, but it's nice to see that you're keeping your priorities straight! :D

Regards
John

Matlock said:
Just a  thought, I wonder how many have actually used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire, either test or real property damage?

Yep. Two times, but the one fire was small and the other was a practice one. Having hands on experience with a fire extinguisher is vital. If you have a fire and need to put it out RIGHT NOW, you will fumble and fuss and probably not spray it like you should. Seconds count and having that hands on knowledge will give you tons of confidence and real world ability to put it out quickly.

You may be able to contact a fire extinguisher refill place and ask if they have one that is not fully charged, but still has enough of a charge to be able to practice with. I don't know if that is a good idea, but if it is, it will save you some money and you can get educated from the people in-the-know.

Matlock said:
Just a  thought, I wonder how many have actually used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire, either test or real property damage?

Had to put out one fire due to a bone-head move by me.  They make a mess and it is hard to clean up!

When I was working, I had to go through fire extinguisher training once a year.  A propane fueled 'campfire' was set up in a parking lot and everyone got to use an extinguisher to put it out.  So I had about 20 years of practice when I had to use one for real.

Canine said:
You may be able to contact a fire extinguisher refill place and ask if they have one that is not fully charged, but still has enough of a charge to be able to practice with. I don't know if that is a good idea, but if it is, it will save you some money and you can get educated from the people in-the-know.

You also could use an 'old' fire extinguisher (the disposable ones last from 5 to 15 years) for practice.  There is a right way to use them.

-- Spiff

People in the know include your neighborhood fire station. Stop in and ask some questions. They always want to educate about fire safety and prevention.

(Yep, I have some background in this stuff)

I had an oil fire in a large pot on my parents' patio. Tried using two powder extinguishers. Big fail. I finally doused that oil fire with a constant fine water spray. I had trained at work using a similator using water. With care it works well. Keep it fine and over the oil surface to reduce temperature and reduce oxygen. Do NOT blast into the oil as it will just spread the fire. Real world experience.

LeeRevell said:
I had an oil fire in a large pot on my parents'  patio.  Tried using two powder extinguishers.  Big fail.  I finally doused that oil fire with a constant fine water spray.  I had trained at work using a similator using water.  With care it works well.  Keep it fine and over the oil surface to reduce temperature and reduce oxygen.  Do NOT blast into the oil as it will just spread the fire.  Real world experience.

My mom taught me basic kitchen safety includes whenever there's oil heating on the stove you keep a damp (wet, but wrung out) towel on hand large enough to cover the pot. If a fire begins, turn off the heat and place the damp towel over the pot. I observed this in action once as a kid while watching my mom make dinner, she was merely annoyed at the interruption, not phased at all. Here's a youtube video I found demonstrating this method in action.

Easy, no messy cleanup, no special skills or practice required.

Had Dad been smart he would have had the pot's lid close by to smother the fire, but it was not handy. Had to think "outside the pot" to knock that fire down, as it was already licking the wood rafters of the patio roof. We were inside, and Dad had accidentally not turned the gas off to the stove. Lucky I saw the flickering outside the window when I did!
I used what was available and I knew would work. Of course, this would NOT work in a van or car fire. You'd never have enough water, and then you'd have water damage to consider IF you did have enough......
Another thing I avoid is the cheapo extinguishers they sell for car use, that have the little green button to indicate if it is functional. These type fail, and it isn't evident til you try to use it and it has no pressure. I get only those with pressure gauges.

keep the lid handy if you are frying in oil. something I rarely do, I mean frying in oil. highdesertranger