Fire extinguishers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anm

Reaction score
I agree with the need to carry a fire extinguisher but I don't want to have to use something that is going to leave my van uninhabitable which many may. Does anyone here use CO2 or Halon? Any recommendations?

I agree.  I also worry about the clean up problems regular powder extinguisher would cause in an engine compartment following a fire there.

I bought some of the new foam extinguishers from Mac the Fire Guy after studying all of the material on his web site.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I agree.  I also worry about the clean up problems regular powder extinguisher would cause in an engine compartment following a fire there.

I bought some of the new foam extinguishers from Mac the Fire Guy after studying all of the material on his web site.

Regards
John
I've looked at the foam extinguishers. I still wouldn't feel too good about spraying foam inside my van, maybe in the engine compartment...

something to extinguish a gasoline fire other wise don't worry about clean up.

anm said:
I've looked at the foam extinguishers. I still wouldn't feel too good about spraying foam inside my van, maybe in the engine compartment...

I'd feel better about spraying and putting out the fire than losing the van to fire because I didn't want to have foam all over the place.

Almost There said:
I'd feel better about spraying and putting out the fire than losing the van to fire because I didn't want to have foam all over the place.

Yes but it would be better to save the van AND not make a mess. Halon seems like the way to go...

From Mac the Fire Guy:

"Halon extinguishers are more expensive and harder to find or refill for the general public. Halon is very hazardous when used on a fire because of the chemical change it goes through. During the heat phase of the fire, Halon changes to hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen chloride and hydrogen sulfide. During the cool down phase, it changes one more time into phosgene gas. Halon is not a good outdoor fire extinguisher because it is easily dispersed by the wind. When Halon first came out, it was thought that it absorbed oxygen. It doesn’t, it displaces oxygen in the area of the fire. Halon’s danger comes from the chemical changes it goes through."

Let's note that PHOSGENE was one of the poison gases used during World War 1.

Regards
John

Mike

This thing looks dangerous to me.  At least in a confined living space like a van.  What happens if it leaks while you are asleep?  It's an oxygen displacing gas.  Will it set off a CO or LP gas alarm and wake you?  Or will you just not wake up?

Come to think of it, I guess the same questions could be asked of Halon and CO2 extinguishers.

Regards
John

I also bought foam extinguishers from Mac the Fire Guy. I'm looking at one on my front wall right now.
Bob

I am a hospital maintenance manager and for what it's worth, if you have a fire, the clean up from a powder ABC extinguisher will be the least of your worries. As the old saying goes, plan for the worst and hope for the best....

Optimistic Paranoid said:
From Mac the Fire Guy:

"Halon extinguishers are more expensive and harder to find or refill for the general public. Halon is very hazardous when used on a fire because of the chemical change it goes through. During the heat phase of the fire, Halon changes to hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen chloride and hydrogen sulfide. During the cool down phase, it changes one more time into phosgene gas. Halon is not a good outdoor fire extinguisher because it is easily dispersed by the wind. When Halon first came out, it was thought that it absorbed oxygen. It doesn’t, it displaces oxygen in the area of the fire. Halon’s danger comes from the chemical changes it goes through."

Let's note that PHOSGENE was one of the poison gases used during World War 1.

Regards
John
From what I've read Halon requires a 'very hot flame' (temperature not given) or contact with red-hot metal to decompose into toxic by products. Halon is also very effective suppressing fires, even with a concentration as low as 2.9%. They are very effective on Class A (organic solids), B (flammable liquids and gases) and C (electrical) fires, but not good on class D (metal fires) due to its decomposing. Many computer installations use a halon fire suppression system, it does the job without destroying the facility.

Halon extinguishers are expensive tho...

They just had a blurb on TV news the other day about a new technology of extinguishing fires with sound waves... Maybe in the near future....

Halon is not very good for vehicle fires. The air movements will disperse the halon and allow the fire to resume. Have a foam extinguisher just in case you have a engine gasoline fire. The foam is not that hard to clean-up.

Halon is a CFC and production of 'new' Halon ceased in 1994. All Halon on the market today is recycled/existing stock....therefore the price is high and won't be going down. It is still the best for airline use and the FAA still recommends it for now.
Works best in 'closed' environments such as airplane cabins and computer rooms. Open windows or under your hood would allow too much dispersal in the air to be really effective.

http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm#q3

'Halotron' is an approved alternative to Halon but is also very expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-466727-Halotron-Extinguisher-2-Pound/dp/B001ECQ5NE

A couple of these in the van would be quite handy and affordable:

http://shop.rdrtechnologies.com/Cold-Fire-Extinguishing-Spray-p/cfrc12.htm

I have two, one on either side of the living space within the van, both within reach from my hammock, mid-ship, so no matter where I turn, one is within easy reach. I believe they are the powder type and I would be very much more concerned with the fire and cleanup from smoke damage than the possible effects of powder extinguisher...

I agree with mconlonx. get the fire out first, then worry about the clean up. btw any fire extinguisher with a plastic body or head is nonrefillable, so if you are the throw away type disregard my tip. remember fire extinguishers have a life span weather you use it or not, the refillable ones you can get recertified. highdesertranger

The easy clean up ones are sure pricey, I will use the regular kind and god forbid put the saved money to fixing the mess or different vehicle.