Finding toilet paper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
………..Before we left Florida...……(My home state but bat-shit crazy right now)

The local Rockledge PUBLIX store had Two Police Officers stationed on the toilet paper aisle...……...

Just stop eating. Go on a liquid diet.

After a few days, men won't need any TP at all. 

Women....well....women still will.

(if a mod deletes this, well, that's because it was 'disposable')

:p

So true! Occasionally I'll do a several day fast, for health and weight loss. Usually I go to the desert when doing these. It's nice to not deal with #2, while out there with no bathrooms around. The longest fast I've completed was 10 days. About time to do another, but staying in the city this time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Go on an all cheese and meat diet. That should do it and you won't feel empty inside except for your wallet.

owl said:
The media frenzy will soon be over and the scare buying will slow. Stores will be fully stocked in no time.
Still waiting for that frenzy to be over. Stores are still not stocked "in no time".  It has been more than a month now in Seattle since the frenzy started and the stocks in the stores got depleted.  They are still depleted when I have gone into the stores. But of course as an at risk senior I can't go in there in the mornings as it is too crowded even during senior hours. Today I tried online ordering for flour, sugar, rice but everything I choose at the local Fred Meyer is shown as being out of stock.

Still waiting...still waiting... Nothing is likely to change until some time later in the summer. It of course will be even worse in California and New York as they have larger cities than Seattle.

jim solo said:
I got lucky before all this hit the fan. T paper was on sell in early Feb. and I always stock up when things are on sale. T-paper and Coffee, two most important things to have.

I stocked up on coffee a little, too.  I drink instant, only got two extra jars ... but I did think about how miserable I would be without my morning cups.

maki2 said:
Go on an all cheese and meat diet.  That should do it and you won't feel empty inside except for your wallet.

Chicken is about the cheapest thing I can eat these days besides maybe rice, potatoes, and sometimes onions.  Especially for nutritional value.  Winco sells a ten-pound pack of connected thighs and drums for anywhere from 36 to 55 cents a pound, and a couple days ago I got a whole chicken for 68 cents a pound.  Where I live anyway, even carrots and cabbage cost more than that.

Luckily, I love chicken, so I don't feel like eating a lot of it is dreary or whatever.

Sofisintown - glad you are loaded (WITH CHOCOLATE) I too could use some kisses. (both chocolate and the others). In this time of stress and turmoil I am finding solace and support by having a hot love affair with "Little Debbie" I find her on the isle next to the TP. (Since this thread is about TP I had to work it in somewhere).:);):)

I would offer to send you desperate creatures some TP in the mail but I suspect it is now illegal to transport it across state lines ;)

Of course TP has now entered the "controlled substance" category with limits on how much of it you can purchase at the stores and online should you even find any of it. Next will be limits on how much of it you can have in your possession without having it confiscated. ;)

But so far no police dogs are being trained to sniff out unused paper supplies and manufacturers are not being required to include a special scent in the product. So I think we are OK for the next few months to hoard some extra rolls.

maki2 said:
Still waiting for that frenzy to be over. Stores are still not stocked "in no time".  It has been more than a month now in Seattle since the frenzy started and the stocks in the stores got depleted....
It does no good to stockpile TP in Seattle, where cars grow moss it is so wet. Stockpiled TP turns pink and then black with molds, then mushes down into a useless lump.  -crofter

I would never be one to gouge and rip off people, however, I do see a business opportunity to make an honest living and be in service to others. With all of the unemployment today I think it would be patriotic of me to provide work for many. I am starting a TP recycling business. I will be working the operations in the office and need others to do the actual hands on work for me. Any applicants here in the forum? I heard that it was tried before and that the company touched a new bottom and that thousands of investors were wiped clean.

Dingfelder said:
Today I went to another grocery store and it was my first instance of seeing customers yelling at each other.  A very downscale looking woman was screaming at someone in another aisle I couldn't see around the bend of, about how she shouldn't get so close.  My cart was parked, say, 10 feet inside a nearer aisle that the woman's friend got into and blocked, hovering.  I couldn't get by, which made me think I might get yelled at too.  Anyway the yeller saw me pass tightly by and complained to her friend that nobody should be getting close in a pandemic and that the lady she yelled at shouldn't have called her trash because she was in the right.

Everybody was close to everybody, all through the supermarket, as of course you are in narrow supermarket aisles.

I was happy to start and remain no part of that. 

But I think more of it is coming. 

I have for the first time seen people coming into our store with guns on their hips.  I hope they are not the yelling type.

Better the yelling type than the shooting type!

crofter said:
It does no good to stockpile TP in Seattle, where cars grow moss it is so wet. Stockpiled TP turns pink and then black with molds, then mushes down into a useless lump.  -crofter
checked that rumor out on s.nopes....turn out people in Seattle live under rolling stones that gather no moss and they are using the TP for cushioning.

maki2 said:
I would offer to send you desperate creatures some TP in the mail but I suspect it is now illegal to transport it across state lines ;)
Write something on it and send it as a letter.
Or send it as packing material in parcel.

I finally was able to get TP and paper towels at Winn DIxie after nearly a month of empty shelves there. I asked the manager when their shipments came in and then made sure I was there that afternoon. I had to buy a large package of each as the smaller sizes were snapped up immediately, but I am grateful not to need to replenish my supply until lockdown ends.

GypsyJan said:
I finally was able to get TP and paper towels at Winn DIxie after nearly a month of empty shelves there....
Were they 4 times more expensive? That is what Walmart is doing, jacking the price as if consumers would not notice paying four times more for basics. 

Rationing something makes you feel the need to pay their higher price. Perple need to save their receipts and request a collective refund for the price gouging.  -crofter

crofter said:
Were they 4 times more expensive? That is what Walmart is doing, jacking the price as if consumers would not notice paying four times more for basics. 

Rationing something makes you feel the need to pay their higher price. Perple need to save their receipts and request a collective refund for the price gouging.  -crofter

Maybe W*Mart is indulging in price gouging.

Maybe they're not. If they have added cleaning teams that do nothing but clean surfaces and cart handlebars, as some retailers are doing, their labor costs are going up.

Maybe it's the producers that have raised their prices, or the distributors. I can think of any number of reasons why any company might find it genuinely necessary to rise their prices during a pandemic.

I'm no fan of W*Mart, or big business in general, but I think going right to the "worst" explanation with no evidence is not warranted, and I also think there is more than enough wild rumor-mongering happening these days.

^
Arizona doesn't have laws against price gouging. I remember quite some time ago watching a Tucson TV station's piece about that.

One view was that higher prices would prevent hoarding.