Finding a new home for pets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivebyandy

Reaction score
With the idea of living in a van or RV or what-have-you the reality is some of us simply decide we can't bring our pets with us. I've lived with my cats in small spaces and a small travel trailer before so I know it's possible and I know they adjusted fairly easily.<br><br>My cats are a result of formerly owning a house, as I think a lot of pets in this situation are. People that used to have houses and have been required for whatever reason to downsize considerably. In a house with a good amount of square footage I feel like issues such as HAIR and NATURAL SMELLS aren't that big of a deal, but in small spaces I'm finally (after&nbsp;2.5 years) reaching the point where I think it'd be nice to not have so much hair and stink around. That and I want to keep any job / adventure options open.&nbsp;I love my cats greatly, and too be honest after months of thought I'm still going back and forth. Lately I can't help but feel my cats are what's keeping me from just throwing everything into the van and making do. <br><br>That being said, what is everyone's opinion on the best way to find a new home for pets if you decide you can't bring them with you? I don't trust craigslist for finding a good home. The main option seems to be taking them back to the shelter where I got them but now that they're older (about 5 years) I get hung up on the idea that they won't be adopted and they'll just sit in cages and meow all day.

That's a tough one, Andy. Going through a rescue would mean your cats wouldn't be euthanized. However, the rescues are overflowing and many are not accepting pets with homes. You may find one with a waiting list. That said, due diligence is required. Many rescues, with the horrible economical situation have turned into hoarding situations. There are a number of red<br>&nbsp;flags you can watch for. PM me for more info if you're interested.<br><br>A trusted friend or family member might work. <br><br>Either way, understand that once your pets are out of your hands anything can happen.<br><br>Older cats at a shelter won't be there long. they'll be euthanized.

Cyndi is right. Unless you can find a trusted friend/ relative to take them, it's a crap shoot. <br>You can try to get a rescue to host them for adoption days, but you will likely have to keep them and bring them in on weekends in order for them to have a shot at a new home. At their age, there is even less chance. As for them sitting in cages and meowing all day, let's just say that is a best case scenario.<br><br><br id="tinymce" class="mceContentBody ">

The house or van or camper shouldn't stink because you have cats. If it stinks, you are not scooping the litter often enough or scrubbing the litterpans every few weeks.&nbsp; Buy clumping litter. This removes all the urine in a clump. <br><br>Finding a home for older cats is close to impossible. It can indeed take years while they die of boredom and loneliness in the cages.&nbsp; Look for a shelter that has cat "rooms" where they wander freely.<br><br>We have four cats. There is no odor in our RV (28' X 8') or home (1800 sq ft). I sweep every few days and that keeps the cat hair under control. At home I use the vacuum. <br><br>We're in FL for the winter and the cats are here with us.