Find vandweller for my property

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Reno

Reaction score
looking for suggestions on how to find a vandweller for my property...obviously besides here...I'm in gorgeous Virginia Lake Country on the Virginia/North Carolina border, the 50,000 acre John Kerr Reservoir surrounds my small quaint safe town of Clarksville. Would like someone here on property with me. Wondering what rules/conditions/terms are appropriate. Want to charge a reasonable rent including electric. Access to water but not sewer, access to home depending. Looking for ideas. This is a fishing/boating/kayaking mecca with major fishing tournaments for Bass, Catfish and Crappie. Can walk to downtown with restaurants, shopping, grocery, library, small theatre troupe etc.

Sounds like a great place, shouldn't be too hard to find someone.

You might want to start out with a website like Boondockers Welcome.

You would make your place available for guests, for short stays, maybe one to four nights.

This arrangement means you are not obligated to have someone stay on a long term basis that you don't get along with, so you are not obligated the way you would be if someone actually rented a spot and gained status as a 'tenant'.

I had my place listed as a host location for over a year. I enjoyed meeting all kinds of people. Most of them were very enjoyable, respectful guests, and welcome for repeat visits. A few of them, well...lets just say I would not want them to come back.

So it's a way for you to get a sample of having guests on your property. If you find that you want to continue then you can develop the idea further.

YES I know he's posted his event..........................

Within the last 2 weeks John's been served cease and desist orders.....and the County has a new 10 month moratorium on new applications

He's looking for Legal Aid

^
Yeah, I just added that link to his thread in case M.Reno or others weren't aware of Cobbtown.

Too bad as that sounded like a great thing for anyone located eastward.

looking for suggestions on how to find a vandweller for my property...obviously besides here...I'm in gorgeous Virginia Lake Country on the Virginia/North Carolina border, the 50,000 acre John Kerr Reservoir surrounds my small quaint safe town of Clarksville. Would like someone here on property with me. Wondering what rules/conditions/terms are appropriate. Want to charge a reasonable rent including electric. Access to water but not sewer, access to home depending. Looking for ideas. This is a fishing/boating/kayaking mecca with major fishing tournaments for Bass, Catfish and Crappie. Can walk to downtown with restaurants, shopping, grocery, library, small theatre troupe etc.
Hello Mike, interested in the area you chose to settle. We were looking for land not long ago around Galax which sounds like the same region as you are. Traveling east soon to visit family in Virginia Beach. Presently in Salton Sea area. Would like to stop by for a couple nights and see what you are doing there. Do the local regulations allow RV camping on private land? If you are interested, please pm me at [email protected]. thanks, Scott

YES I know he's posted his event..........................

Within the last 2 weeks John's been served cease and desist orders.....and the County has a new 10 month moratorium on new applications

He's looking for Legal Aid
Guess..."Big brother" stepping in people's toes once again..!!

In Wasbington state people post rentals such as your space on craigslist. It was not unusual to see them, sometimes in the storage rental area, sometimes in short term rentals, occassionaly in the regular rental area. Use good keywords and they will find you.

Hi Mike ... I have a vintage Airstream in good condition (30 amp), but don't currently have a tow vehicle. I'm looking for a spot for it. I'm living at my art studio in Asheville and trying to decide whether or not to renew my lease. I'd love to be in a walking community and to be able to have a small garden. If you're still looking and want to discuss, let me know. Thanks, Karen

^
Yeah, I just added that link to his thread in case M.Reno or others weren't aware of Cobbtown.

Too bad as that sounded like a great thing for anyone located eastward.
Making sure everyone is aware. Cobbtown Acres IS NOT closed. We are open for business and have space for people to do DIY builds. I don't know who Abnorm is or where he got his information... but we won our case in court with necessary changes.

You posted a Video...........Facebook..........I also read it on Reddit.....

I'm a Fan..........I hope more opportunities for Nomads appear............I'm a Full Time Van Dweller

I Apologize for posting misinformation.............Good Luck .............Long Live CobbTownAcres !

Last edited:
Hi. Im seeking a place to live and view life's simple pleasures for awhile. From NH will be staying in a Dodge Ram van. RhondaLee

You might want to start out with a website like Boondockers Welcome.

You would make your place available for guests, for short stays, maybe one to four nights.

This arrangement means you are not obligated to have someone stay on a long term basis that you don't get along with, so you are not obligated the way you would be if someone actually rented a spot and gained status as a 'tenant'.

I had my place listed as a host location for over a year. I enjoyed meeting all kinds of people. Most of them were very enjoyable, respectful guests, and welcome for repeat visits. A few of them, well...lets just say I would not want them to come back.

So it's a way for you to get a sample of having guests on your property. If you find that you want to continue then you can develop the idea further.
Thanks for that information tx2sturgis - I'm a snowbird type and have property in No NM @ elev 8,200 ft and wanted to find nomads/self contained people looking for place to stay as well and will look into that Boondockers sight.