Finally bought a used van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsallysmom

Reaction score
After months and months of searching, researching, talking to sellers, and inspecting vans I have brought home a 1997 dodge ram 3500 class b. Porta potty, fridge, microwave, sink, sofa bed, three captains chairs (two swivel). I can stand fully. 109000 mi. 17 ft.  For week long trips I think it will be awesome. Drives great.
It's in good shape but needs tires, windshield, fluids, belt, and hoses.  And of course cleaning from top to bottom. Found two spots on fiberglass that needs work. Solar will come in the spring.
Only blip on the way home was drivers mirror kept folding up in the flow.
I can't put into words how excited I am.

Attachments

• my van .jpg
    my van .jpg
    1.1 MB
Congratulations! I start working on my Dodge van next month.

Congrats. Can't wait to hear about your adventures.
We looked at a van like that in Georgia last Saturday, but, online it looked great... up close I was afraid it wouldn't make it to the salvage yard.
Our search continues...

Sounds like a really good start! Glad you found one to get excited about. :)

Great find. That’s the last year before the redesign so the turning radius is better and the used parts availability for front sheet metal is better too.  And you have OBD2 which will help with maintenance codes. Good unit, enjoy it! :)

Cool van, congrats!
Are you going to get rid of any of the usual conversion van "bloat" for your build?
Things like running boards, fender flares, wooden panels, interior trim, extra swivel chairs, etc. 

They add weight and for many they serve no useful purpose.

Awesome find! I had a '94 version for a while. Best vehicle I ever owned. I regret ever selling it.

Thanks everyone. Van work has been temporarily postponed as I do things that must be done before fun.
BinDer... I'm not sure what I'm going to take out. I'll definitely take out the third captains chair. it has a swivel so i expect it to sell in a flash. The sofa bed is over the back wheel well and ac/heater, wastes a lot of space and is the devil to get into. I'm contemplating removing the back heater/ac and replacing the sofa bed with something easier to get into. The running boards may have to stay since my dog and I are getting older and appreciating an extra step.
It all depends upon understanding what electricals I am digging into.
gallica... I feel the same about selling my 1998 jeep cherokee xj.
This world... glad to hear that about the turning radius. I'll be taking it into the mountains and sometimes the road slowly disappears and requires a turn around in less than reasonable distances.
Neal... anything I can learn about Dodges will help me I'm sure.