Van Newbie looking for your input on a 2000 Dodge Roadtrek 190, please!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwanderin

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Hope some of you may be able to help me out by sharing your experience and knowledge with me. I've been very interested in getting a Class B van to take some travels around the country as a solo female - probably 2-3 months at a time to start - and would love your input on a particular van I am considering. 

I have a nearby trusted friend offering me an opportunity to buy her 2000 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular with 127K miles for $14K (negotiable). The "negotiable" is yet to be determined as it will be based on results from mechanic and RV/House inspections which I would plan on having done.

My Questions:
1.  Does anyone think the price is too high for this van which is in generally good condition with 127K miles, and if so - by how much?
2.  Does anyone have any "things to watch out for" on this year model 190 with the Dodge 3500 chassis?

Any other recommendations or comments would be welcome!  I plan on attending RTR. I'll be there whether it's in my current TT & Truck or in a new-to-me van, so I am looking forward to meeting many of you.  

Thank you for taking the time to offer any of your thoughts or opinions!! 

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]I should mention that this van is in my town, and that I am in a pretty rural area. For me to look at anything whether from a dealer or private seller would be at least 2 hours away, and although doable, not nearly as convenient and would probably add to my acquisition costs due to the distance. I wanted to run this one in particular by all of you to see if maybe I'm missing something because I'm just so thrilled to find one that is a floorplan/manufacturer that I want, at a price I can handle, and is fortunately right in my own town.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]With regard to this particular 2000 Dodge Roadtrek 190:  [/font][/font][/size][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]All appears in good condition from my[/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif] first[/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif] and second observations. [/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Some cosmetic damage/missing or broken pieces exist on two of the skirted trim sections around the bottom of the van on the outside, but those two blemishes make up the only visible issues I've seen. I could easily not fix them and there would be no problem other than appearance.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Current owner (2nd owner) has ALL maintenance and repair records back through the first and original owner. It has the original generator, updated flat panel TV, current owner replaced A/C 2 years ago, has the original fridge, microwave - pretty much everything original but appears well cared for. No big issues of wear and tear -  in fact all the upholstery, cushions, cabinets, knobs, clips, doors, hinges, buttons, window seals, curtains, finishes, appliances, outside paint, body etc. all seem to be in good shape - especially for 18 years old!  Also engine starts easily and sounds healthy.[/font][/font][/size]

If it helps you start a life you are looking for go get it don't wait you could be on the fence another couple years.

GettinHitchy said:
Hi everyone!

Hope some of you may be able to help me out by sharing your experience and knowledge with me. I've been very interested in getting a Class B van to take some travels around the country as a solo female - probably 2-3 months at a time to start - and would love your input on a particular van I am considering. 

I have a nearby trusted friend offering me an opportunity to buy her 2000 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular with 127K miles for $14K (negotiable). The "negotiable" is yet to be determined as it will be based on results from mechanic and RV/House inspections which I would plan on

nadaguides.com/RVs/2000/Roadtrek/Popular-190-Dodge/3027030/Values
has the average retail at $14,400. I say go for it if it checks out.

Thank you wagoneer and gallica, those are the thoughts I was having and the info I was using to support my plan to go for it, but I wanted to test them out loud here amongst those more knowledgeable than I am to get some feedback. I truly appreciate your input, your time and your consideration. Happy Trails!

GettinHitchy said:
Thank you wagoneer and gallica, those are the thoughts I was having and the info I was using to support my plan to go for it, but I wanted to test them out loud here amongst those more knowledgeable than I am to get some feedback. I truly appreciate your input, your time and your consideration.  Happy Trails!

We tow an older trailer, because we already had the truck. I have always loved the vans that I have owned and a roadtrek would be a dream vehicle if it was just me :). three canines and a husband means too crowded!

Exactly my thoughts, gallica. My husband and I have an older 29' trailer that is actually perfect and my truck is also my daily driver, so that set up makes perfect sense to me as well. I love the space we have to share with friends and our doggie in the trailer and I drive it fine, but my dream is getting a van for just me to quickly and easily get around for short or long solo trips. Don't have to store it somewhere else like we do our trailer and it would be easy to just jump into and take off! Of course this could be considered quite selfish:) And although hubby supports me, he doesn't share my dream. I am very excited about the freedom and safety the Roadtrek represents to me out there on my own. And I love that you get it, too!!
Hope to meet you at RTR if you are going. Otherwise I'll see you around here - thanks so much for your thoughts!

If a trusted mechanic thinks it's in good condition and it is not rusted underneath badly go for it.

Make sure to drive it on freeway and see if you are comfortable with any steering wander (this chassi is notorious for). If not, it could be a white-knuckled driving, which takes out any fun in travelling.

GettinHitchy said:
2000 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular with 127K miles for $14K (negotiable).

Does anyone think the price is too high for this van which is in generally good condition with 127K miles, and if so - by how much?

You must not be in California.  Around here 2004 Roadtrek 190's with 100K+ miles on them sell for $36,000+   :s

If it looks clean, drives right and, if you have the option, a mechanic says it's OK, I'd jump on it.

kaveman said:
Make sure to drive it on freeway and see if you are comfortable with any steering wander (this chassi is notorious for). If not, it could be a white-knuckled driving, which takes out any fun in travelling.

Thank you, great suggestion about checking out the steering wander.  I sure wish I could do that, but no freeways nearby for a test drive. There is a straight stretch of road where I could get up to about 60mph or so for about 1 -2 miles!  Hopefully that would be enough to test that out.  I really appreciate your helpful response.

BigT - I actually am in So. California! That is why I wanted to ask around as the price seems exceptionally good compared to everything else I've seen.  Definitely an opportunity I shouldn't pass up if it all checks out. Thanks so much for validating that it is a good deal:)