Fiberglass Egg Trailers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dust of the Sun

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding an egg trailer to my property...you know, the fiberglass little bitsy ones like the Burro or Boler or Casita...well, not the 13 footer, more like the 16 footers.&nbsp; Please forgive me if this topic is covered elsewhere as I didn't see it. Wondering how many readers on this forum have these?? What are your experiences, good or bad....would love to see some photos...yes, I have seen a couple hereabouts somewhere but maybe due to their popularity they deserve a thread of their own????? Oh and I haven't looked into it yet but also wondering if my 6 cylinder Dodge caravan would tow it at say 1800 pounds?? One thing I've noticed, when I DO see one for sale, it AIN'T for sale long. They would seem to be popular by the speed at which I see the advertisements withdrawn...would I be right?? If you had one did you love it or hate it?? Looking for any and all input. Thanks for reading this, as always. Dust<br>

<P>I do believe both suanne and blkjk have casitas. I have a friend with one who lives in TX and is delighted with his.</P>

Hi Dust,<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; We have a 1974 ECO, an American made clone of the Canadian Boler.&nbsp; We are in the process of rehab'ing it.&nbsp; It's a 13'er.&nbsp; No plans to full-time in it.<BR><BR>&nbsp; One of my goals with it is to make it as light as possible to tow it with our 6-cylinder Camry Solara.&nbsp; The frame plate says it weighs 850 lbs.&nbsp; I want to keep it under 1000 lbs loaded.<BR><BR>&nbsp; Some weight-saving&nbsp;tactics include removing the press-wood doors and&nbsp;replacing them with netting and curtains, removing the large (heavy) wooden table and replacing with a smaller aluminum table, removing the 2 propane tanks and replacing with 1 composite/fiberglass tank.<BR><BR>&nbsp; Also, the <A href="http://fiberglassrv.com" target=_blank>http://fiberglassrv.com</A> site is a good resource.<BR><BR>Suanne ... getting ready to re-wire the ECO's&nbsp;lights

<P><FONT size=3>I'd get me one of those eggs in a heartbeat!&nbsp; On top of everything else, they hold their resale value pretty well.</FONT></P>

I have a 14' wide bodied Burro and love it although sometimes I think it's too much for just one person, especially when I want to go on back roads, and it's difficult with a trailer, but it's nice to be able to unhook and have a vehicle to explore with, and I admit I like lots of storage, a place for everything. So I have decided that every style of rig has its advantages; the idea of a single vehicle such as a van or class C RV appeals to me greatly as opposed to a trailer. <br><br>A 6 cylinder Dodge should be no problem. Check the towing capacities for your vehicle. Most are able to tow 3,000lbs, and a lightweight fiberglass, 12, 14 ft is less than 2,000 lbs.<br>

hi....i am new here, joined today.&nbsp;&nbsp; i am also a fiberglassrv.com senior member and yes, i own an egg.&nbsp;&nbsp; it's 13' and i love it!&nbsp;&nbsp; no bathroom.&nbsp; my choice.&nbsp;&nbsp; portapotty instead.&nbsp;&nbsp; 2-seater dinette up front and the "big" dinette table stays down as a permanent bed.&nbsp;&nbsp; 2 burner propane stove.&nbsp; fridge.&nbsp; sink.&nbsp; furnace.&nbsp; fantastic fan.&nbsp; small closet.&nbsp; overhead cupboards.&nbsp; awning.&nbsp; and i absolutely love it.&nbsp;&nbsp; used to have a VW vanagon.&nbsp;&nbsp; found that unhooking the connections each time i wanted or needed to go anywhere became a huge chore to me.&nbsp;&nbsp; fiberglassrv is an excellent reference site. and you are correct---these trailers do not stay for sale very long, with excellent resale value.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br>

Well DANG!! A 16 foot Casita came on the market just 30 minutes from me...a real unusual event...of course I missed the first day it was advertised...and only three grand...I called the guy and he wouldn't let me come see cuz someone was coming from an hour away and IF they didn't buy it, THEN I could come see it. I waited. Got an email 2 hours later...it was sold. Priced low even tho it was 19 years old but in nice shape...<br><br>My point is: These durned things FLY off the shelves...out the door. Talk about an investment!!!! Never seen some certain thing sell as FAST as Casitas or Scamps or Bolers...The only other really good investment I know of is FOREVER STAMPS from the Post Office...haha<br>Dust<br><br>

<P>I have missed out on 2, a Casita and a Scamp.&nbsp; The fifth wheel Scamps last for a wile longer because you can't tow them with a big truck or van or suv. I would have had a very nice one if I had a smaller truck. I drove 3 hours away this summer to look at it and was shocked it took something smaller. If I had my Dad's Tacoma that would have been perfect. </P>

<p>My wife and I have lived in our 17 ft Casita travel trailer for 4 years now and love it.&nbsp; They are made in Rice Texas by really nice people.&nbsp; The newer ones have bigger and better tires and wheels.&nbsp; The older models had small tires and wheels from Goodyear that were no good.&nbsp; I had two blowouts with them so you need to change up to taller tires with more plys and bigger wheels if you buy an older model.&nbsp; We have the Spirit Delux and love it.&nbsp; You can pull this trailer with a V/6 but going up hills in the west I recommend a V/8.&nbsp; They are easy on up keep, just polish the outside with a good wax.&nbsp; Get all the bells and whistles except the microwave.&nbsp; You can get a smaller one to fit in the cabinet so you have more room for other things.&nbsp; Or just do without.&nbsp; We don't have or want one.&nbsp; Also you don't need the furnace.&nbsp; Use&nbsp;the Big Heat electric heater it warms the little egg up fast.&nbsp; Ours weighs around 2400 lbs or so.&nbsp; It is a dream to tow, you hardly know it is back there.&nbsp; They are hard to find and keep their value very well.&nbsp; Get the high lift axel model too if you plan on Boondocking.&nbsp; You can't hardly go wrong and if by chance you don't like it you can sale it fast.&nbsp; </p>