Lining for fiberglass shell

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telcobilly

Reaction score
I have a fiberglass slide in utility body  on my 2008 Tacoma. It is unfinished fiberglass on the inside. What type of material should I use to line it for insulation and how would it be installed? I see fuzzy lining inside Casita trailers and fiberglass shells. Wondering if that would work and where I get it. Thanks.

There are some very usefull installation videos for that type of material on the Sailrite youtube channel. Also lots of discussions about it in the fiberglass RV forum.

Scamp trailers have something like refletex glued to the fiberglass, and marine headliner glued to that. Some small wiring is run inside the sandwich.

I think Casita's finish is a marine product, too. It looks like commercial carpet though, while Scamp's is sorta fuzzy, like a pet. Scamp owners affectionately call it "rat fur".

It's called Hull Liner. You can glue flexible closed cell foam like EVA or Ensolite down first then the Hull liner(works very well), or you can just use the Hull liner. I have done this many times on many different vehicles. Highdesertranger

It's called both, smartypants! :p

Jk about the smartypants. But serial about the name of the stuff o_o

Thanks for the replies! Now I have some information to research online. The condensation was terrible when I first got the shell and camped in it in Boulder Colorado back in 2012 in the winter.

yeah it won't stop the condensation but it will slow it way down and it holds onto the little that you still get so it doesn't rain on you. Make sure you air it out so it can dry as often as possible. Highdesertranger

When I'm in damp places, I hang one of those DampRid hanger bags meant for closets. It's amazing how much water they can collect.

When its cold enough to have to heat, I use a plastic film window insulation kit, basically making my windows double panes. This cuts down on condensation, too, and also helps keep cold out and warm in.

IDK if any of tgis applies to your shell.

I use a dry heat source every so often I use a ceramic heater and ventilation to dry everything out. A vented heater and cooking outside really helps but my builds are pretty air tight and require lots of ventilation. Sure enjoyed your build out by the way!

Ravella and X said:
Scamp trailers have something like refletex glued to the fiberglass, and marine headliner glued to that. Some small wiring is run inside the sandwich.

I think Casita's finish is a marine product, too. It looks like commercial carpet though, while Scamp's is sorta fuzzy, like a pet. Scamp owners affectionately call it "rat fur".
This reflectex isn't very expensive imo.  I see some on amazon.  It would be good for me to get for my canopy/shell.  Seems like they are called different name ;) but mine is just the fiberglass insides too.  Great info, thank you much! PS So then do you mean they put something over the top of the Reflectex? Pretty sure that's what you are saying. I'm so new to all this, and not skilled in anything to do with insulating a camper shell.

Ravella and X said:
When I'm in damp places, I hang one of those DampRid hanger bags meant for closets. It's amazing how much water they can collect.

When its cold enough to have to heat, I use a plastic film window insulation kit, basically making my windows double panes. This cuts down on condensation, too, and also helps keep cold out and warm in.

IDK if any of tgis applies to your shell.
More good notes to keep, thanks again Ravella and X