Feeding the wild life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
When we go camping, we will often hang a bird feeder to attract song birds.  We love to wake up and hear them singing.  I know the rules vary from location to location and differ between national and state parks.........but what are your thoughts on the matter?  Some people think its wrong to feed the wild birds unless you plan to continue doing so.  We think it enhances our stay and provides the wild life with good eats.

Wildlife doesn’t need good eats. Feeders attract all sorts of animals you really don’t want like rodents and they in turn attract predators that have to be shot because they get used to a human presence that they normally avoid unless the food source is just too tempting. You also can cause the habitat to become corrupt not only in the immediate area but where ever the birds drop seeds. I watched a camper put up a bird feeder in order to attract song birds. Then mice came in and they damaged their RV. Then the camper stepped out on a Bobcat sleeping on their carpeted steps after a meal of mice. When it awoke it scratched her on her leg bad enough she needed first aid. When the injury was reported to authorities they immediately came and shot the Bobcat. Upset about what had occurred they went to start their motor home and it fortunately didn’t start or burn as much of the wiring had been eaten by the mice nesting near a good food source. When we first started camping we also had a bird feeder a few hundred feet from our camper. It not only brought in birds but turkeys, deer and many other animals. Within a day or two there was pretty much a game trail. When we saw a group of half coyote half dog take down a deer we were concerned but when a large black bear came through following the game trail we took down the feeder and left. Just don’t do it please, for everyone’s sake.

I don’t think I have ever seen a prohibition on bird feeders, and lots of traveling people have in particular hummingbird feeders they hang out.

I don’t have a problem with that, and suspect that if these feeders were hazardous to the birds that frequent them there would be rules against them.

That said, feeding scavenging birds or four legged critters of any size or type is not something I would ever do, for all the obvious reasons.

Humming bird feeders usually don’t cause too many problems till larger birds attempt to get a drink as water in the desert attracts many things. Usually the little sugar ants and then larger ants start showing up in your cabinets and outside the lizards get fat and feral dogs chase them around under the RV knocking water and sewer lines breaking or damaging them. Spending several years in an RV in the desert you get to see lots of crazy things. We had a hawk that used a near by bush to ambush the birds using the humming bird feeder as well. Like has been said before it may be illegal in certain areas but anywhere you do it is an open invitation to pests and problems. One other note pets, food and water left outside are very attractive to wild animals so don’t do it even if they are in a pen. A badger can get through about anything and likes fresh meat, just so you know.

If you're in bear country hummingbird feeders will attract them so not a good idea.

I had a problem with a feral cat that would hop the fence, enter the dog door and eat my dogs food!!!

And this was in town.

I few well placed pellets from the BB gun and it decided to wasn't worth it anymore. She started to get a bit gun shy.

highdesertranger said:
never purposely feed any wild animals for any reason.  highdesertranger

Also applies to feral animals.

People have been feeding a feral burro at Bombo Pond, south of Beatty, NV. Instead of being leery of humans, this older, scarred burro approached me. I was wondering if it was going to get aggressive, if I didn't pay a toll. Meanwhile his mare and a young one, were busy munching the naturally available food.

"Pack in, pack out" and "leave no trace" mean exactly that.

I have been told by a old farmer don't turn your livestock into pets, something as big as a cow can really hurt you if it gets to friendly.

Freelander said:
I had a problem with a feral cat..
Feral cats and AZ that is a thing. The policy is TNR which stands for trap neuter and return. So guess what once all is said and done you get the feral cat back.

I wish the birds were protected instead of the feral cats being protected.    -crofter

Actually Birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, well at least some birds, chickens are not included.

Seems to be working well. The protected cats eating the protected birds.  -crofter

It's kinda ironic, a protected Hawk can kill and eat your unprotected Chicken.

The Audubon society and Cornell University has a big bird group also. They advocate putting out food at different times of the year.

I feed. They seem to come and go with the seasons. Spring is the most active time they are coming but as it gets later in the year more things are growing and they eat away from the feeders.

Migrating hummingbirds going south come thru pretty heavily then they are gone.

Don't forget to avoid feeding the scorpions, who eat live prey. If you move frequently you will probably not build up insect food sources around your camp. Tenters will want to zip the fly, and you will want to have screens covering any opening or vent at night. They dislike bright light, so also use a light at night to avoid stepping on them and in the outhouse if you use one. Scorpions will also be attracted to heat sources in winter.  ~crofter

Link to article 
https://petponder.com/what-do-scorpions-eat

nope. help something in peril maybe, like a duck with a 6 pack beer/soda plastic wrapper around its neck if ya can kinda thing, but don't feed. They don't need it, and it is only suiting you......you are getting the benefits, not truly the wildlife cause once ya leave, their dependent lifestyle on you is cut. Those critters that are to be culled or cut thru nature, well ya kinda ain't doing them a favor in truth.

Watch real nature. Not one from a feeder of any kind is what we do. but of course to each their own on this one LOL

Have not seen any wild life other than a mouse, a few flie, two small spiders and one humming bird in the two weeks I have been at La Posa South near Quartzite AZ. No sign of scorpions, maybe the nights are too cold or maybe there have been enough people around to wipe out any significant populations of them. I have not talked to a ny of the volunteers or rangers about the local wildlife situation.  But as water is scarce I thinnk that has certainly kept the bird population to next to none other than some in town.

Scorpions dig oval shaped holes in the soft ground. They come out at night. They glow green under a black light. They are there either in their hole, under a rock or in your boot waiting for you to put your hand somewhere without looking. Like most things don’t bother them they won’t bother you or they let you know they are irritated.

Last year (January) at LaPosa south I heard coyotes every night and did see one in the wash as I was pulling in. I also heard birdsong but no sightings (remember the desert native bird song may be clicks and screeches rather than melodius). I also fell into a hole of some sort, walking in sand the ground gave way underfoot and I was in up to my calves. Crawled out immediately without investigating further, but I suspect that was some sort of burrow that caved in under my weight. Also sighted some ants and other crawlies, one big bird way up there (not that Big Bird), and a rabbit.

Here in the civilized part of the Sonoran Desert, I have seen more birds and predatory birds, rabbits, feral cats, lizards, ants, and a few darker colored larger scorpions. There is a water leak in the RV park system nearby, so I have more critter visitors here than if it was the natural dry desert landscape.  -crofter