Feedback please on this Class C

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pen Wize

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am new here, so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place. Just redirect me! My house (well my brother-in-law and sister's house, I currently live in it. A story for another time) is going on the market and I am looking at RV's s as that is what I am going to move into for my new home. '

I found the following and went and took a look at it. My questions are, is the price fair and would you buy it? 

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/rvs/6068041174.html

When I looked at it, I noticed it had that the back right seam had been repaired (about 4 or 5 inches worth. It looked a bit clumsy and also looked liked it had been a repair due to backing into something. There was also a good dent in the upper left rear of the RV. Other than that it everything looked good, not soft spots anywhere but the rubber is separating from a couple of the windows on the outside. I  was not able to get up on the roof. The engine started right up and sounded good but did not take for a drive as I am not quite ready to buy. Tires were in great shape too. 

I rather liked this rig. They have had it on the market since early April and possibly before that. What do you think? It has what I consider fairly low miles 37425

Without some really good pics of the outside there's nothing to pass judgement on.

The inside looks neat and clean but that doesn't begin to tell the story.

Things like the 'tires were in great shape' means nothing either...tires that have only got 37G miles on them 'should' be in great shape but chances are that they are the original tires which means that they are 10 years old - 5 years past their life expectancy. 'Looks god 'counts for squat.

I'd be concerned about the damage to the rear, particularly at the top because any water getting inside has already started the mold and rot problems.

Without checking the roof very, very carefully you can't begin to assess the viability of the RV.

Cracked molding around the windows is also indicative of either existing problems or future problems.

As to whether or not it's a good deal...you'll need to run it through rv price guides with all the information input - http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

Since you're just beginning the search for an RV or other mobile living space, it would be a really good idea IMO that you start studying up on how to assess an RV so that when you're really ready to buy, you know how, what and why to look for.

Thank you! Ok, now I know, and should have known (aarrgh) that "looks good" means nothing. You have been of valuable help. Thank you!

I agree with AT, totally

One thing about RV's is that each type excels at a specific type of use. If you can tell us how you are going to use it, we may give you better options.
If this is your first unit, I would recommend spending a lot less. You may find that a different type of RV suits you better.

I don't think I would spend my $29K on a rig that has "possible" water damage, or any damages at all when I can get one WITHOUT for the same price or less.

theres EBay,RVT, RVTrader, and road trek int, are good resources for research,,,i was thinking class C also, but i talked with a friend who had one,,,he really liked it but said it was a lot of maint. so i started to look at vans,,definitely the (to me) easiest way to go,,its like he said its a lot easier to sell a van and move to something bigger then the other way around.

Four Winds is a good coach in general. If I really liked it, I would have a mobile RV tech, one that has experience repairing rvs, not just looking them over, do an inspection. The A/C and the refrigerator in particular as they can be cooling but inadequately which means they are dying, and they are expensive to replace. Also, I would have the "truck" parts checked over if I couldn't do it myself.

If I were confident that the damage had been taken care of before water had gotten in, and the price became favorable versus other similar units, I would probably seriously consider it. Check the dates on the tires as mentioned as they VERY expensive to replace and older tires have a higher chance of blowout. The windows can easily enough be removed and resealed.

I would ask about maintenance records, anyone taking good care of their unit usually keeps records. Also, is this the original owner, that is important to me and a "value-added".

It would be good to have photos of the damaged areas. I have seen a lot of RVs, and we are on #9.

Looking at NADA, and I never take "Options" to mean anything in an older unit, average retail is $37,352 and low retail at $31,030. But, you have the damage and that would reduce its value by more than a couple thousand. With an inspection, you could ask what the cost would be to have the "fix" redone correctly and subtract that amount for an offer.

So, if you like it, have it inspected by someone reputable and they would know the cost for any fixes and have more of an idea of what it is worth. I probably wouldn't consider it unless this is the original owner, just a personal preference.

DannyB1954 said:
One thing about RV's is that each type excels at a specific type of use.  If you can tell us how you are going to use it, we may give you better options.
If this is your first unit, I would recommend spending a lot less. You may find that a different type of RV suits you better.

Yes, it will be my first RV. I will be living in it with my dog, Akira (Pitt and German Shepard mix), and two cats.

There's a lot of give and take on the topic of buying an ex-rental class C over on the two main RV forums.  Look it up, you will find high mileage units (over 125,000) within 4-5 years old however the units are specced for the rental market so you have a purpose built vehicle that can give you access to the newer styles and equipment for a lot less.  http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26035008.cfm

Now some will fall over in a dead faint over buying an ex-rental.  I've had 2 cars that were ex-rentals, both were just fine, you'd not have known that's where they came from.  At least the required maintenance was performed.  And no, not all rental rv's have had twenty 300# people partying on the roof at NASCAR events, nor do they drag race down the interstates. Usually I see them at or on the way to scenic attractions like National Parks, with a typical family of 4 or more inside. I haven't seen them being used (inside) as fire pits or swimming pools. 

Anyway, it's a possibility.

Thank you, everyone! You are all so helpful. I gave up on that one. I am now looking at one that is Itasca 22ft 1987 with 34,000 original miles on it. When not in use it was kept in a barn. It is looking like it might be a good choice for me. I do have to be sure it will not be too small. It was a trade in, one owner. He passed and now the son has decided to trade it in for a toy trailer. It fits my budget. I was the first one to see it and there were people right behind me too and it has not been posted on online yet. I will keep you updated and take some photos of it if I can tomorrow.

At that age you will probably have to put some $ into it but hard to tell what the previous owner may have done.
Rust and rubber products leading the list.

Try to get any maintenance/repair records they might have.

Post pics and ask any questions you have.
Lots of us are in RVs and class C rigs are vans underneath it all....

Even kept in a barn...in that climate you need to watch for lots of rust.
I bought an old RV 1988. The undercarriage had a lot of rust, but nothing getting serious. Scrape it off and be sure it doesn't go deep.