Feathers got a gypsy wagon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qxxx

Reaction score
Thought this was kind of a cool alternative to a teardrop. Tall enough inside you can sit up with your feet on the floor. Enough room behind the bed to customize things. Lots of storage under the bed.

I had been following Feathers (trailname) doing the PCT. She finished a week ago, just in time before winter falls.

That's cute! Look forward to watching the whole thing to see what she does.

I sure hope she not planning on taking that off pavement. residential windows, cheap bolt together trailer frame, tiny little cheap tires, trailer is a dump bed. one of those cheap dump bed trailers broke in half at last years RTR. it's very hard to keep those cheap trailer frames straight and the axle going down the road straight. highdesertranger

Just curious what she paid for that, with the intention of changing nearly everything. It does appear to be a HF discount trailer, with curious placement of storage (up front where all vehicle debris/water spray will hit). It doesn't appear to have any insulation, and no provisions for electric/water of any kind...rather like a she shed on wheels !

No doubt, it is cute, and would be a nice conversation piece in fair weather.

The inside layout is interesting for a small rig. If I had it, I'd make the bed convertible to a couch, with the bottom sliding forwards to give more floor space. Then have a fold down table for a workspace.

Then I'd add a counter each side of the door. One side would have a wash basin, but not a built in sink. The other would have a Coleman stove under a slide out shelf, and a fan above mounted on the side wall.

Then, for fun, I'd drive the whole rig inside HDR's whopper trailer for transporting. JK.

ckelly78z said:
Just curious what she paid for that, with the intention of changing nearly everything. It does appear to be a HF discount trailer, with curious placement of storage (up front where all vehicle debris/water spray will hit). It doesn't appear to have any insulation, and no provisions for electric/water of any kind...rather like a she shed on wheels !

No doubt, it is cute, and would be a nice conversation piece in fair weather.
This is a gal who's just lived for 4 months in a tent, and hiked 2600 miles in all kinds of weather. She's tough. They don't call her Feathers for nothing, :).

hahahaha,

"Then, for fun, I'd drive the whole rig inside HDR's whopper trailer for transporting. JK."

you might be kidding but it might fit. LOL

highdesertranger

A small bolt together utility trailer is seldom built strong enough and the custom built off road trailers are usually to heavy for smaller 4x4 vehicles so it is almost certainly a compromise situation. The trailer frames for manufactured campers seem to be pretty much in the middle as far as durability. Jimindenver has been able to go where he needed and proved it can be done but many others have destroyed theirs trying. We have had a couple members have frames rust and break with the high dollar small fiberglass campers as well. As boondocking is a big part of what goes on here and many members have never pulled a trailer and probably never dreamed of taking one off pavement, it is probably good that the ones that have the skills build out a cargo trailer as they tend to have heavier frames and springs with heavier axles than newer RVs so when they misjudge and twist or drag the frame it doesn't do as much damage. Also something to consider is most fulltimers carry more weight than weekend RVers. Trailer buyers would be well advised to look under the trailer first at the frame, suspension, axles and tires before falling in love with the pretty camper built on top. Almost any trailer can be modified but it requires knowledge, skills and money. Finding the correct trailer is based upon what and how the owner will use it and many times it is a learning process for them as I'm sure Feathers will find out. Following her as she learns what is best for her should give many insights to the process.

Feather's rig is about the same size as a 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer. So if I got one to have something more robust to pull into BLM land, I might build it up exactly as detailed above.

HDR how are you gonna keep the frame members from dragging or hanging, maybe a full coverage bottom skid plate? I bet you can find some old narrow gauge track to make expendable skids for the rear, no wait maybe a dozer blade for the front to smooth and level out the road as you go and that big diesel motor better get in that truck soon! LOL!!!

I will add skid plates as needed. for the most part as it sits at the moment it really doesn't need anything, scraping the frame won't hurt a thing. highdesertranger

It would make a terrific backyard playhouse or something to put next to a cabin at the lake for extra guest.

Or maybe for use in town where you take it out on paved roads as portable vendor pop-up store or to local craft shows. It would last for a while for that kind of use.

But as others have stated it is not suitable for long trips on rougher roads.

highdesertranger said:
I sure hope she not planning on taking that off pavement.  residential windows,  cheap bolt together trailer frame,  tiny little cheap tires,  trailer is a dump bed.  one of those cheap dump bed trailers broke in half at last years RTR.  it's very hard to keep those cheap trailer frames straight and the axle going down the road straight.  highdesertranger
I knew of someone who was a camp host out in Saline Vlly before NPS took it over. He used a Harbor Freight trailer to haul two 50 gallon barrels of water on the northern road from Big Pine. He pulled it with an old Toyota Corolla! One time I drove the Corolla with trailer out for him so that he could bring his school bus towing a truck loaded with welding equipment. Far as I know he never dropped an axle, but he kept an eye on things and had the knowledge and means to fix them.

A Classic case of "form over function."

High Desert Ranger nailed it. I feel sorry for that ignorant lady.