Decisions .. Decisions...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrBearOFS

Reaction score
Good Day all !    Please forgive what is likely an impossible question, but I am looking for a little direction here. 
Basically I have considered two options.   1) a box truck   and 2 ) a Cargo trailer    

Here is what my bride says are the requirements for her to be happy : 

Room to stand upright 
Air Conditioning 
A Shower/toilet of some version
A bed that fits length-wise in the body (room for the feet to hang off the end ) 
and finally enough room where she does not feel claustrophobic in bad weather days. 

As for me- since budget will be smaller, I am concerned about construction of the outer frame /wheelbase/shell  etc. 
and solar to provide the power to boondock ( I am pretty well read of these components so I know what I am facing there ) 

The inside I am confident in what needs to be done.. I am mostly looking for recommendations between box truck and cargo trailers sizes etc. 

One final item that is a thought some of us might have is for IF/When either of us might not be able to climb or if we ended up in a wheel chair or walker, etc..   Have you all any suggestions about accessibility issue ? 

OK I know I ask alot..  but thank you all in advance for your kind assistance. 

Peace,

Mark

The answer to your last question is easy. Someone who is handicapped can use the pulldown door as a ramp to get in cargo trailer. There are several videos Of Bob’s showing examples of this.

Running an AC on solar, I’ve never seen it done. Bob did have one video about a man who had a tow behind trailer covered in solar panels who was able to get four or five hours worth of air conditioning. Your battery bank will have to be huge too, and that adds a lot of weight.

There are several examples of people making a very nice home out of a long cargo trailer. Again search through Bob’s video list. But one warning they weren’t done for cheap.

I'm well pleased with my 6x12 cargo trailer. I do have the bard doors on the rear and would not have a ramp, but that's me.

JiminDenver is on this forum and has AC he uses with solar power.

You can run a 500 watt, soft start, window AC with a small, fuel efficient generator. That would be your backup plan for AC on solar power. That is how Jimindenver does it when he does not have enough solar power left towards the end of the afternoon to run the AC for a lot more hours. You do need an alternative power system just in case in hot areas as you need power at night for the fridge. Even rainy days can be hot and the high humidity on those da ys is best removed from the living space with AC.

Box truck versa cargo trailer. The truck is easier to park. The trailer is easier to leave set up in a long stay campsite while you go into town. With a long stay wiyh a trailer you do can leave stuff out for everyday living. Short stays in box truck you almost need a touch of the military disvipline for returning everything to its ready to travel storage spot whenever you use it. So factor in the type of travel you plan to do and your personal discipline style for housekeeping.

Hitching up a trailer in thunderstorm storm is not a lot of fun. So that is another factor as well because there will be rainy days. Having a separate vehicle as a getaway lounge area while someone is using the restroom or just wants some private alone time is another benefit of a trailer setup.

You have lots to think about, there is no clearcut decision because it depends as much on your personalities as the other factors.

maki2 said:
...You have lots to think about, there is no clearcut decision  because it depends as much on your personalities as the other factors.
The reasoning behind my line of questions is that I understand what my bride wants.. and if I plan for this adventure to be a happy one and for an extended period of time , which I do, I should get as close to it as I can.

In addition, I am not generally happy with the construction of the commercially made campers. not to mention I have no where near the budget for one.

I would not go out into a thunderstorm to take down a campsite. I would just wait until it passes.. Since I dont plan on spending time ( or money ) on a commercial campground or at least very rarely.. check outs are pretty much a non-issue.

I had not considered a Step Van because my research indicates that they are not the best option , noisy in driving and there is poor insulation between the engine and cab ? -

I was also aware that running a small AC/Mini-Split could actually be done on solar.. Check out CamperVan Kevin on YouTube.. He has a minisplit and that appears to run well on solar. He has had a set up like that in a Class A and a Class C.. I believe he has 6 of the Battle Born Batteries and about 800 KW of Solar Panels .

Thank you all for your input and suggestions ... !
Mark