Favorite Meal under $2.00

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm way ahead of you on the garlic - tried the fresh stuff but it was kind of a pain and trash generator, so I'm currently working through a jar of minced.

Bacon flavor spam, onions, garlic, toast ... hhmmmm

New entry in the cheap favorites race- Some Dollar Stores now carry potstickers in the frozen foods section :D
They come in chicken or pork (both are yummy), and 1 package contains about 10, which is a good sized lunch or light dinner. Pretty easy to prepare on any stove (pan fry, then steam), and I have to say that the taste beats the name brand frozen potstickers at the local grocery store, at less than half the price.

Finally got to the end of this thread, (so far). One can of Hormel Beef Tamales, $1.00 plus a slice of good American cheese, heated slowly in a lidded skillet, and topped with lots of finely shredded lettuce. Much less that 2 bucks and very quick and satisfying. Put the cheese slice on toward the end of heating.
One of my recent faves.

I've tried those tamales and they definitely are not my favorite thing. Yet--- I still keep trying them from time to time. Always seems like a good idea at the time of purchase. But.. Better than nothing. :)

Hormel Tamales rule!

If you have cooler space it is nice to pickup a hot cooked rotisserie chicken from Wal-Mart, Sam's, or a grocery store. Let it cool then tear it up to add to many meals. One person could supplement their lunch and supper all week. Save me the skin.

gsfish said:
About ten posts back reference was made to the amount of sodium in a can of Chunky Soup. I was just at the grocery and out of curiosity checked a few cans and found the sodium levels at 17% to 37%. But remember!! If you read carefully you see that is the amount "per serving" and the can is considered two servings so if you eat the whole can (and who doesn't?) you could be getting 74% of suggested daily sodium in one bowl of soup.

Is there any truth to the theory that cold beer neutralizes sodium and that is why they have the free pretzels in bars?

Salty foods make you drink more beer. If you drink enough beer, it will flush the salt out. :-/

(Cows eat grain, so meat is part of that food group!) :D

Costco Caesar Salad $4 can last me 3-4 meals if I added some bread. The chicken seems to be freshly boiled and not frozen nor canned. I supplement some extra veggies so maybe $.50 extra per meal. Still only $1.50-$2 and healthy. No processed foods for me.

1. I can't rest in my soul until I try the Costco's roast beef that Bob talks so highly of. When something is better then their mother's cooking, I MUST find a Costco and try the stuff.
2. I want to go with Willy to the soup/ food kitchen. I think we'd have a "low-keyed", blast.
3. But, Vonbrown, who ever you are, I LOVE saltines. So, a box of saltines and home cooking of chili on the hood sounds yummy.

Alright it took me a while to come up with it:
Celery crackers (saltines) from Mainland China
Over ripe Middle Eastern Figs
Herbal Black Current Tea