Favorite Meal under $2.00

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The $2.00 question. A hotdog and soda at Costco for $1.50. Heck, you even get back .50 cents in change!

caseyc, you don't really consider that a meal do you?

oh! (space = 1 second) my! (space=1 second) god! college food, people pleeeeeze how will you surrrrrvive

Hot spinach salad. One inch thick ribeye grilled medium rare. Baked potato with all the fixins. A Chateau Belair Monange St. Emillion Bordeaux.
Baked alaska with a fine port for dessert.

That's a good deal Owl!
$2.00 Wow.

wagoneer said:
oh! (space = 1 second) my! (space=1 second) god! college food, people pleeeeeze how will you surrrrrvive

LMAO, Adrian! We used to call top ramen "Purina Student Chow" :D

My current fave for fast and cheap is Prego's Savory Bacon Alfredo sauce ($2.50 a jar) over penne pasta (from the Dollar Store) with either grilled chicken strips ($2.50 on sale), or salad shrimp ($2.00). Makes enough for 4 meals, so well under $2 per. Even cheaper if you have leftover chicken to use.
Just don't count the calories! :angel:

Mac J said:
caseyc, you don't really consider that a meal do you?

You'd be surprised what I would consider a meal. :D Actually, I've had what I consider to be real meals at Costco. I REALLY like their Hot Turkey Provalone sandwich, very yummy. Maybe even a combo slice of pizza. Plus a berry smoothie drink. Topped off with their roasted almond hand dipped chocolate ice cream on a stick which I'm addicted to! Sometimes I alternate with their very berry sundae. At this point, you're probably wondering if all this costs $2.00?? Umm, no. It's over $10 at this point. :rolleyes:

I recently went through my cookbook program & put the maximum price I'd pay for every ingredient

over 80% of the recipes I already have are under $2 per serving, & a surprising amount are under $1.50 a serving.

I actually made a blog post about this, but here's the recipe & breakdown of costs:

Pork Chops with Fresh Tomato, Onion, Garlic, and Feta
Serves 4

2 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 pork chops, 1 inch thick
1 dash pepper
1 dash garlic powder
2 tomatoes, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 Tbs dried basil
2 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled

1 Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook until golden brown. Set aside.
2 Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in the skillet. Season pork chops with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and place in the skillet. Cook to desired doneness. Set aside and keep warm.
3 Heat remaining oil in the skillet. Return onions to skillet, and stir in tomatoes, garlic, and basil. Cook and stir about 3 minutes, until tomatoes are tender. Mix in balsamic vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Top chops with the onion and tomato mixture, and sprinkle with feta cheese to serve.

Sounds pretty ritzy, huh? Bet restaurants would charge about $12 for something like this, & serve it with rice & a veggie.

Well, per serving (without the sides), would you believe that it costs $1.61? The shopping trip for all the ingredients would only cost you around $7! (of course, this assumes you have things like the vinegar or the spices on hand)

Don’t believe me? Here’s the breakdown of the costs:

Recipe Cost:

$6.44
Per Serving: $1.61

Cost Per Ingredient

2 Tbs olive oil $0.33
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced $0.18
4 pork chops, 1 inch thick $2.91
1 dash pepper $0.00
1 dash garlic powder $0.00
2 tomatoes, diced $0.54
3 cloves garlic, diced $0.05
1 Tbs dried basil $0.05
2 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar $0.10
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled $2.27

Large burrito size flour tortilla, you can buy 10 for 2.00
Spread spaghetti sauce over it, I buy cheap about 1.50 for a jar.
Shredded mozzarella cheese, 1.99
Sliced pepperoni from, Dollar General or such,1.50

Heat oven to 450, put burrito on pizza pan and watch closely for cheese to melt.

I make a small salad and there is a decent meal. To me anyway. A lot less than 2.00 a serving

Tortilla will harden but not burn, makes a quick meal.

A Box of Beef Rice-a-roni and about a quarter pound of lean ground beef. You can also add your favorite veggies in this. Good, quick, simple, CHEAP. Runs a bit over 2 bucks but it makes enough for a couple of meals.

You can make this in the chicken version too .... with leftover or can chicken

I do a similar quick and cheap meal with 4 cheese Rice a Roni (no milk required) and a bag of frozen meatballs from the dollar store. Also good with chicken and/or hot links instead of the meatballs.

Seems like pretty much all the suggestions here are for home-made meals. That's probably the only way to have the cost under $2.00. Any suggestions for eating out for only $2.00? I guess I have to rule out a McD happy meal since I'm not a kid, haha.

Casey, since you eat out most of the time you prolly know more about it than we do.
You'll be pleased to know that Q-site does have BK, Carls Jr, McD, and a Subway for your dining pleasure.

Oh seriously! Nice!! Might you know approx how far away these burger joints are from where everyone will be camping out? Like a couple/few miles? I'm guessing not walking distance.

Those places are on the west end...about 1 1/2 miles from where 95 crosses over I-10. The RTR camp is a little over 4 miles east of 95.
You might consider sharing cost of meals with someone at camp that likes to cook. I'm sure the grub would be better anyway.

4 miles is not bad at all. Good to know. Plus, if there's a Costco nearby, that would be fantastic! I like their Hot Turkey Pravolone sandwiches.

That's a great idea! Anyone that likes to cook cheeseburgers, steaks, ribs, chicken wings on the BBQ grill, I'm all for sharing the cost plus labor too!

Thanks for that. But I need to know fast food places nearby Quartzsite. :)

During the winter, there are tons of little 'food trucks' that park all over the tent cities that pop up. But the closest would still probably be a few miles away from where RTR usually parks, but if Bob selects a new location again, that might change, but I doubt he will want to get any closer to the ZOO that is Q in the winter.

Cooking isn't THAT scary :p