Fast Food

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have certainly noticed lately that fast food makes me feel kind of gross after eating it, especially fries. I think now that I'm in my 40s my body doesn't handle the grease as well. But it tastes so dang good going down. When I do eat fast food I try to stick to Wendy's and Arby's if I have the choice. Arby's market fresh sandwiches are pretty good and not nearly as bad for you as a burger. They're so much more expensive than McDonalds though.

My downfall is Chinese buffets.

Matt71 said:
I have certainly noticed lately that fast food makes me feel kind of gross after eating it, especially fries. I think now that I'm in my 40s my body doesn't handle the grease as well. But it tastes so dang good going down. When I do eat fast food I try to stick to Wendy's and Arby's if I have the choice. Arby's market fresh sandwiches are pretty good and not nearly as bad for you as a burger. They're so much more expensive than McDonalds though.

My downfall is Chinese buffets.

Matt71,
Have you ever been checked for diabetes?  French fries (potatos) are all fast digesting carbs (except for the fat).  Potatos and white rice will blow my blood sugar faster and higher than ice cream!

I'm not diabetic, but I do take medication for my blood sugar.
I don't have the same issue with regular potatoes or rice.

Nor am I matt... I can eat anything! And with being a prepper, I can eat bugs, without them tasting nasty! Crickets have a very sweet yet salty taste to them! :p

McDonalds has a great $1 salad at most locations if you're feeling like you want something light and quick it can be great...if you're really hungry get a small fries and pour it on the top...mmm.

When Madison Avenue photographers use small small plates forks and knives and people with small hands the food looks a lot bigger.

Also there is some chemical that some restaurants use to bring back wilted lettuce. Dunno what it is though it has a chemical salt flavor to it.

That chemical is no longer used....."There were several products in the 1980s that were marketed to keep lettuce from turning brown. Basically, they were MSG based. They were taken off the market about the same time that MSG was linked to increased incidence of asthma in children consuming the product." NO LONGER USED! Once lettuce is wilted....it is wilted!

That is good to know. I always wondered why those bags of premix salads at the store stay fresh so long in the bag. Whenever I make a fresh salad it looks inedible after 2 days but those bags keep for weeks.

I get a odd taste in some bagged greens and in some store restaurant salads.Can't describe it but it is present in some not others. It definitely is some additive!

I am in Seattle right now...and that means no good fast food. Well not the cheap stuff were all thinking of. . There are dozens of local places that rock n' roll but even though they are fast they aren't what we usually consider "fast food". We have a few of the brands I know, but they are more expensive than anywhere I have ever been besides S.F. and D.C., i.e. $6 nuggets at McDonalds instead of the national $5, same goes for all their deals, a double cheeseburger is $2 here and $1.20 elsewhere.

All in all this is a good thing, I am a fatso so it is good that I now eat mostly veggies and free range meats...but MAN do I miss In n' Out...3x3 cheeseburger with Animal Style fries and a Coke...Droool! The So Cal native in me is dying....slowly.

HarmonicaBruce said:
Here's a good article that explains Why does lettuce in a bag stay fresh longer than a head of lettuce?

Basically, they remove the oxygen so bacteria can't grow.  According the article, "There are no chemicals involved!".  

I have found it depends on the environment that you store your food. In the absence of refrigeration and in a warm, humid place I head of lettuce must be removed from the bag ASAP so it wont "sweat" and turn nasty from the warm rotting moisture. In a scenario where the lettuce is being refrigerated then yes the bag helps instead of doing harm. In the summer it will still go bad fast, but the bag removal will give it an extra 24-48 hrs. I learned this the hard way when not having room for lettuce in warmer weather. Goes for heads of Cauliflower and any other bagged salad or veggies too. Best bet, use a cooler or fridge.

I happen to need a lot of sodium. As in, physically require it. A friend of mine with the same medical condition has to take salt pills prescribed by her doctor because she can't bring herself to dietarily consume the amount of sodium her body needs.

Me? I was raised to consume salt to taste - if it tastes good you need it, if it tastes bad you don't. So I can happily consume well over twice the maximum recommended sodium without flinching, which is exactly what my condition requires at times.

The problem with fast food isn't that it tends to contain a lot of sodium, but that it's high sodium without tasting salty. This throws off the natural taste sensor alert that would otherwise inform you when you shouldn't take another bite of that sodium-laden stuff. As a result you need to either monitor it consciously or everything's going to go out of balance if you eat a lot of it. This is the reason I avoid any flavored electrolyte drinks - if you're sweating badly enough to need electrolytes then unflavored stuff - even just a plain water-sugar-salt solution - is going to taste fantastic to you until it begins to taste gross, and that's when you know you've had enough and should switch back to regular water or dilute it further. Your body typically knows what it needs if you just let it to its thing already. Processed food often has the goal of being really shelf stable without tasting salty, so they've finagled their way around that and that's where the danger lies.

As for me? Get be fries drowning in salt and oil, please. My body will love you for it. I can't eat most restaurant food but fries are often the exception.

I'm so severely underweight people assume I have an eating disorder. I don't. Fat, protein, and carbs are my friends whom I simply wish I could convince to stay with me a little longer...