Extra camera cabling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
I have a backup camera and side camera installed.   I love this!   I can drive AND see all around me!

But, they came with 50 feet of cabling!   It is just far too much.  I have nowhere to tuck that much bulk!  I coiled it up and taped it to a spot...get it off the floor...but, I must get rid of it

Can anyone tell me...can it be cut and the two ends spliced?   How hard it is to do this?
Any examples of DIY work like this?   

Any ideas on how to eliminate this bulk of cables?

IMG_0556.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Backup cameras usually use coax for the camera and a couple of wires for power. Sometimes they include extra wires for a mic, for security camera work. Yes, they can be spliced, assuming you know how to splice coax.

I had the guys at a car audio place install the rear view camera I bought online. It had a lot of extra cable, too. They shortened it somehow, so, yes, it can be done.

Not a mention of what this cable is anywhere.

I plan to take this whole thing (RV and all) back over to them and insist they deal with these yards and yards of extra cable.

That is going to be a while however. Roof is torn off...and it looks like this week will finally be warm enough and dry enough to pull the tarp off and get that done! Yea!

VanKitten said:
I have a backup camera and side camera installed.   I love this!   I can drive AND see all around me!
But, they came with 50 feet of cabling!   It is just far too much.
(...)

Hey VanKitten,
Which backup/side camera did you get? Mind sharing a link?
I want to get at least a backup camera, too and am just overwhelmed with the plethora of options and brands...

This is the one I got

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...mera-systems/wired-backup-camera-systems.html

I really like it. I have added an extra camera down the passenger side. The monitor is a bit larger than an actual rear view mirror....and just one button lets me switch back and forth between rear camera and side camera.

Since I cannot see out the back...or have any actual view into my blind spot any other way...having this in the center where a rear view mirror would be is great...I am so used to looking up to see,,.it is just like a mirror...except it also gives me guide lines

There is a means to wire it so it only comes on when you put the vehicle in reverse....but...for me...I is my rear view (and side view) mirror.

Only had it a couple weeks. Only had the beast out on the road a couple of times with it...but I really like it!