Extended Van Vs. Regular Length Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
akrvbob said:
I have a Chevy extended van and it is very LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG and turns SSSSSSLLLLOOWWWW!

And while there is no doubt it can't compare to a Tacoma, 4Runner of Jeep, I'd have to say it does remarkably well on tight, narrow roads.

The key is can you back it out if it goes to hell? So I'm willing to go anywhere as long as I'm confident i can back it out--and that is lots of places.
Bob

That's the  question that plagues me as I go down those little bitty roads -  is there going to be turnaround up ahead? or am I just getting in deeper and deeper and deeper   :s

cortttt said:
That's the  question that plagues me as I go down those little bitty roads -  is there going to be turnaround up ahead? or am I just getting in deeper and deeper and deeper   :s

Google earth can be really helpful at times like that.   Before venturing off the beaten pass, I like to put up several windows on my computer, maps and views of the topography, of the area that I'm getting into.  Often once you get in there, no cell connection is to be found.

cortttt said:

When my Dodge SWB ws a 2wd, I never had to worry about those things because of the short wheel base, and no over hang I could extricate myself from most iddy bitty roads. Now that its a 4wd I just charge through.. ::) There have been fire roads that I did in my swb van that I would NEVER try in an extended LWB.

I guess in the end it depends on what you expect to encounter on your travels.. Lots of twisty, off camber heavily rutted roads? Your best bet is a shorty equipped with an LSD.. Lots of wide open expanse with nice graded dirt roads? a LWB Extended will be fine.

cortttt said:

If I can drive it in, I can back it out, so I don't let it stop m very often
Bob

akrvbob said:
If I can drive it in, I can back it out, so I don't let it stop me very often.

It's also why the trailer goes in storage in the summer--I can't back it out in most of those teeny tiny roads.
Bob

I regularly drive my 15 passenger van into an underground parking garage and park it in a standard parking space. I also unpark it. If the cars behind me don't pull all the way in, I have to do a 26 point turn but I am able to get out of the space without harming myself or others.
That being said, I have a full sized bed across the back of my van and enough room to teach a yoga class between the seats and the bed in between. =)
The Challenge, if you choose to accept it is to learn how to drive it.
I love the extra space and I feel it is worth the trouble.

akrvbob said:
If I can drive it in, I can back it out, so I don't let it stop m very often
Bob

Ha! So true....You can always back it out...Not that it's going to be easy...