Extended Van Vs. Regular Length Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of having an extended length van vs. a "regular" length van? 

(1) Is stealth more difficult in an extended van?
(2) On average, what is the difference in MPG between the two ( I realize this requires a rough generalization.)
(3) Does the extra storage capacity of an extended van make it worthwhile?
(4) Is it harder to find parking space for an extended van?

1) The stealth capability of the van is not really effected by the extra 3-4 feet of length.
2) There is extra weight for an extended van, and extended van probably come with larger motors, so lower MPG. My extended gets 12-13 over the course of a full year driving both City and Highway.
3) Most definitely. I have 12 full feet of living space between the rear doors and the back of the driver & passenger seats. That's a lot of room for a bed, storage, cooking and dining space, etc. Cut the 4 feet of the extension off and you lose a third of that space.
4) No, it fits in a normal parking space.

VanForNow said:
What are the pros and cons of having an extended length van vs. a "regular" length van? 

(2) On average, what is the difference in MPG between the two ( I realize this requires a rough generalization.)

!. Not worried about being stealthy (PNW area, laid back, unlike east coast)
2. Larger van, bigger motor...Yeah.
3. God would love on. The B1500 I have is small and the extra room would be helpful...
4. Nah, you just have to get familiar with driving it and remembering that you have some extra hanging out. I back in in some areas and others go in headfirst....Just will need a slight adjustment to my abilities....

If you can, get the extended van, the extra 20" or so of interior space is very nice.
I don't think the van being 20" longer would make much of a difference in stealth. Highway MPG will be basically unchanged compared to a regular length van of the same make/model/year with the same engine/trans/axle ratio. City MPG may be slightly lower due to the extra weight of the van and because you may end up carrying more in the van, but it won't be that much worse. Parking isn't bad, my van is extended and it only hangs out a regular parking space a little bit.

VanForNow said:

1. It doesn't matter
2. My shorty Dodge got 16. My Extended hightop Ford gets 16-18.
3. OH YES
4. Nope. BUT, it takes a bit more effort to maneuver. Especially in reverse

For my wife and I in our native PNW (WET! Coast of Oregon) we wanted AWD in any rig. IF we could have purchased an AWD van with a longer body we would have. At the time (2010) Chevy AWD RB was the only choice, still is, but they even stopped making them last summer , (

We have a measured 10ft from the back of the driver seat to the rear barn doors. We have a permeant platform bed on curb side with clothes closet on street side and a bath-closet just forward of bed and behind driver seat. It all works for us, but then we are rarely a hug apart so cozy is cool for us.

YMMV,
Thom

VanForNow said:

I have an extended GMC Savana 1-ton....so I could get conceivably get hit on length and extra weight but I don't know that I am at all. I get from 17-19 on the hwy which is a bit above EPA stated MPG.

That extra 20% is huge....when you already have a pretty small living space - another 20% is pretty darn good.

I imagine it is a bit harder to park; these are big vans! I just think its probably worth it. You can now pretty cheaply get, I think, rear view camera's that could help out.

I would focus on Chevy/GMC's because Ford just added length to the end of the van leaving the wheels where they were - giving it a huge rear end. Chevy added the length between the wheels.

Great thread, I was wondering the same.

What I have noticed.
15 passenger vans are usually one ton. If you figure the average weight of a person to be 160lbs, 15 people add up to 2,400 lbs.
They seem to cost less used as I believe there in not a very good market for commuter vans. If an older commuter breaks down, you have 15 people late for work, so people who need one probably want a newer model.

cortttt said:
I have an extended GMC Savana 1-ton....so I could get conceivably get hit on length and extra weight but I don't know that I am at all. I get from 17-19 on the hwy which is a bit above EPA stated MPG.

That extra 20% is huge....when you already have a pretty small living space - another 20% is pretty darn good.

I imagine it is a bit harder to park; these are big vans! I just think its probably worth it. You can now pretty cheaply get, I think, rear view camera's that could help out.

I would focus on Chevy/GMC's because Ford just added length to the end of the van leaving the wheels where they were - giving it a huge rear end. Chevy added the length between the wheels.

I have the Dodge with the large rear overhang (not extended wheelbase) and I am pleased with the tighter turning radius.   The overhang does not bother me one bit.

Agility/Turning Radius was a top item on our list of must haves when we were shopping for our future rig. For us we were replacing a Tacoma 4x4 camper that had taken us on some fun backroad adventures. We knew the places that called to us often turned into little more than ATV trails. For our vision we were willing to sacrifice interior room for the possibility of getting back to no-where with all the amenities of home, though in a minimalist manner, and make a given campsite our kitchen and living room, yes, even in inclement weather. It's all a balancing act. Have fun and smile while doing some juggling : )

Thom

I'm glad I went with the extended. The extra room is awesome. Fit into parking spots no problem and rear view cameras help with backing up.

The extended vans that have the overhang behind the back axle would enable you to recess the floor about 14 inches deep in the area where the spare tire usually goes ,, , you put a big box in there about at least 32 inch by 32 inch as a shower pan  , then if you have a  high top where you where already able to stand up enables you to have a full size shower , it would be no different then taking a shower in a apt/house .

accrete said:
Agility/Turning Radius was a top item on our list of must haves when we were shopping for our future rig. For us we were replacing a Tacoma 4x4 camper that had taken us on some fun backroad adventures. We knew the places that called to us often turned into little more than ATV trails. For our vision we were willing to sacrifice interior room for the possibility of getting back to no-where with all the amenities of home, though in a minimalist manner, and make a given campsite our kitchen and living room, yes, even in inclement weather. It's all a balancing act. Have fun and smile while doing some juggling : )

Thom

I had a similar "vision" of what I wanted to be doing when I built the Dodge 4x4 shorty van.

My first Van was similar to this.  Short wheel base pure stock Van with no mods.

29601940004_large.jpg

It was fun as it was my first experience and was soon looking at bigger better Vans with raised roofs.
I was much younger and more flexible back then too so I could do everything in it bent over looking at my feet.  Often I got around in it by walking on my knees on the plush carpet.  Today I wouldn't want to do that
either. 

Now I own about the largest Ford Van on the road with high top, long wheel base,  extended.  I know it cost a bit more to operate but that's also the cost of having room.   In my first Van I was either driving from destination to destination, sleeping, or cooking up something quick to eat.  Little time for leisure.  That Van was just fine for it, and moving me around in my Corporate work quickly.  In those times I towed a small compact station wagon with the Van and could move from one industrial park to another in a week end and set up a new apartment.   Car carried the basics for the kitchen, bathroom, and inflatable bed.  The Van carried all of my other stuff.  So I could start moving that stuff into my new digs on Monday evening after work while the Van was serving as a storage building.  Once established I had the car for commuting to work and the
Van if needed for work.  If I had the Van I own now back then I could probably have done it all with just the Van.   I lucked into a deal on the car/station wagon and got a tow bar for it so it was a trailer of sorts back then.  That was when I realized the merits of having the extra room.  It wasn't until recently that I realized
I could have a small light weight trailer to contain all the domestic things an RV would offer to tow with the Van.   This "system" could be broken down such that the Van could travel and the the trailer stay at a camp site or parking facility.  So I can have plenty of extra room when I need it and convert to much less room when I want it...and later back again.  This is just my take on the "space" in question with short wheel base or extended Vans.

accrete said:

Thom

I agree...There are places I used to go in the 2WD 4Runner that I won't try in the extended van because of turning radius - I had enough trouble finding places to turn around in the 4Runner; turning radius is the biggest downside for me with the van.

Agility is not a word I would use to describe these extended vans :)

I don't know because I don't have one but I imagine I probably wouldn't try most of those itty bitty roads in standard length van, anyway. I did enough white knuckling it down little roads wondering how in the world I was going to turn around in my 2WD truck anyway.

A 4wd or AWD - that would be different!

66788 said:
I have the Dodge with the large rear overhang (not extended wheelbase) and I am pleased with the tighter turning radius.   The overhang does not bother me one bit.

Good point. I didn't think about the shorter turning radius on those vans...

I have a Chevy extended van and it is very LLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGG and turns SSSSSSLLLLOOWWWW!

And while there is no doubt it can't compare to a Tacoma, 4Runner of Jeep, I'd have to say it does remarkably well on tight, narrow roads.

The key is can you back it out if it goes to hell? So I'm willing to go anywhere as long as I'm confident i can back it out--and that is lots of places.
Bob

akrvbob said:
...it can't compare to a Tacoma.., I'd have to say it does remarkably well on tight, narrow roads.

The key is can you back it out if it goes to hell?..

From what I recall our Tacoma 4x4 extended cab with long bed had a ~42ft curb to curb turning ability. The chevy regular wheelbase van is ~50ft and extended is ~55ft. Like yourself and many here, I'll happily and mindfully get myself into the +8ft to ~13ft turning mode to bring the rolling condo with us : )

Thom