Emergency. Houseless with $0. Need to trade vehicle for cash+van ASAP

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jbreedlove

Hi everyone,

I'm Jeremy. I had unexpected expenses and have $0 until the first. I'm in N Indiana and burning $5/day in gas to not freeze. Out of food, but used to fasting and I have probably 7 days of fat. I really got nothing. Quarter tank of gas left, 2 days. Can't afford insurance, very scared of being pulled over, hiding amongst everyone in large lots.

I have texted the emergency number yesterday, called and emailed. No response yet.

I have an '08 Ford Taurus X with 107k in fair condition, worth about $3500. See attached.

916 542 5936

PS. I have a background in online business and can help the alliance out a lot with monetization via better ad tech. and digital offerings. I am also looking for people to work with if you are also in the world of online business. I have a tremendous skill set and talent and am assured I can 10x or more any site out there. (So how am I houseless?) Please call to discuss.

PPS. Since this is an introduction thread, one cool thing about me is I'm an acoustic guitar virtuoso and I really like sharing my music.

PPPS. I am not seeing the attachments show up. Here's a link:

Welcome to the Forum Jeremy! Here's a few ideas. Make a tour of all the churches in the area and ask for gas money due to it's your heat. Also ask for access to their free food pantry. Be up front if you do not want their religion, they will help you anyway. Then use the gas money to go someplace warmer. Depending on gas prices, it could cost you $300 to get to a place with warm daytime temperatures. it will still be cold at night. Indiana is too cold to dwell in your vehicle unless you are really set up for winter camping. Develop a heat source other than the car engine, probably a small propane heater.    ~crofter

Qxxx said:
The library.
And there is internet access there. I did not say this earlier, but that looks like a good dweller car that you already have. True you cannot stand up in it, but the main thing is that you can sleep in it.   ~crofter

Welcome Jeremy to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

I'm grateful for you all! Thank you for helping me. Thank you for welcoming ME! Living in a vehicle, it gets tough feeling unwelcome like Walmart or etc. may be ok with it but it's not like anyone is glad for me to be around if they don't get to know me.

I will try calling the churches.

Clarification: I'm just using it for heat at night when I wake up because it got too cold (few times a night).

I'll go anywhere possible to trade my wagon, you guys!

UPDATE: User Angie (https://vanlivingforum.com/member.php?action=profile&uid=18401) called me and graciously shared good conversation and $50 of her money with me, which will last me all week. I will pay it forward. Thank you again, Angie S.!

I'm very appreciative of this very familial community. I want to help once I have extra!

First of all go sign up for SNAP. tell them youre homeless and you will get $197 immediately. Next fly a sign for gas. You will be amazed how much you can make. Head south.

Stand on the corner with a sign saying"Disabled Vet,Will work for food,Need gas money to get home",etc,etc.Good luck.

Yes I don’t know Indiana but in California you can go to DPSS and get emergency funds and food money- food stamps take time to process. You can look online for food banks and churches that make bag lunches. Go to a mall or library for heat. You need to be on General Relief. Also see if local markets have free food samples. Trader Joe’s has free coffee in small cups.

You said you're a guitar virtuoso... busking is a valid and honorable option to make some additional cash... I would also advise to try to head south (the desert in AZ is great for the winter), but get enough money together to pay for car insurance first!

Labor ready is a good place for work. You register and can use that to get jobs in other cities as you travel. I used them and traveled several states no problem getting work.

Salvation army has possible meals and shelter. In Asheville they gave out free lunch bag meals until they ran out - daily.

If your a vet find veterans organizations, they have help available. Also you can get good cheap insurance through USAA.

There are usually soup kitchens in every city. Google for locations.

Spend a bit of your available gas money and get at least one good blanket so you don't have to run your car all the time. Or get some warmer clothes. Layer the clothes sho you can adjust for various temperatures. Check goodwill and similar places. Also if there is a real military surplus you can get a wool blanket - but more expensive than goodwill.

If your really good with your guitar do what Jewel did when she first started out. Get gigs in small bars. Even if you just work for tips you won't be broke. She lived in her car and did that for a couple years.

And don't get rid of your car.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

What part of Northern Indiana are you in ? I am in NW Ohio, and the weather isn't real nice anymore (and only getting colder over the next few weeks).