Electrical system to run a refrigerator?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
akrvbob said:
On my Dometic, the area above the compressor does not stay very cold.

Eggs don't need to be kept very cold. In fact, if you get them straight from the hen, they don't need to be refrigerated at all. But the ones you get in stores (and sometimes the ones from roadside stands) have been washed, which removes the protective layer.

I generally don't even refrigerate them at all, but Judy is freaked out by that (girls!!!) so I refrigerate them now.

Not even a 6 pack of eggs would fit above my compressor and the cheese slices and margarine fit well there.

My CF 25 is pretty small but my Whytner 65 qt is gigantic!! I keep two gallons of cold water in it just to take up space and even then it's rarely full. I have an 18 pack of eggs in it now.

I bought the Dometic for $450 on sale and the Whytner for $500 regular price!!
Bob
Bob

Hi Bob. How do the two brands compare for keeping the low temperatures in real operation?

Just Googled the WHYNTER fridge up, and Amazon has it for $583 and change, with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime. Seems a good deal. I will eventually use it to replace my current 'cooler' unit.

Oddly enough, Home Depot usually sells the Whytner for less. They don't have them in the stores but you can get them online and have it delivered to the store. That's what I did.

The advantage is 1) its cheaper but also, 2) if you have a problem with it you can return it to the store and not mail it back to Amazon. The ony problem is they are often out of stock. Here is a search for them:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Applianc...d/Ntt-whynter?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Here is the 45 quart for $479
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-45-qt-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-FM-45G/202555696
Bob

akrvbob said:
Not even a 6 pack of eggs would fit above my compressor

Maybe they changed dimensions between your CF-25 and my CF-25, because half a carton of eggs fits easily on that shelf. unless we're talking ostrich eggs. ;)

MrNoodly said:
Maybe they changed dimensions between your CF-25 and my CF-25, because half a carton of eggs fits easily on that shelf. unless we're talking ostrich eggs. ;)

I think Bob was referring to the CF-11 which is pretty tiny. I decided not to buy it as I think it's more for keeping pop cold and maybe picnic trips...

Here's a half dozen eggs on the shelf (with room for another half dozen on top) in my Dometic CF-25.

Not sure if you guys saw this. Several videos breaking down what may have happened, but after watching it, I will be saving for the 12v refrigerator.

[video=youtube]

Latest posts