Any data on daily usage for refrigerators?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I am very sure that I saw it on Amazon. Proof is below showing the black and yellow label.
it does not indicate anything about the actual unit but if you say so. I just searched ‘Eenour 12v refrigerator’, ‘Eenour 24V refrigerator’ and ‘Eenour refrigerator’ on Amazon .com and got nothing by Eenour.
As I do not speak Japanese I do not go to Japanese websites.
I speak Japanese but the skill is useless on websites. My reading skills are limited to the hiragana and katakana. Kanji, outside of road/information signs and many names is virtually non-existent. As are results for this unit on Amazon US. No idea why.
… it possibly would come with one style of electrical cord plug for the mains electrical in Japan versus the electrical cord needed in the USA.
The only difference in the plug might be the presence of a ground plug on the US device.

The power in Japan is 100v @ 60hz and some places 50hz
U.S. is 120v @60hz
60Hz in eestern Japan, 50Hz in eastern Japan. Running 60Hz motors in 50Hz areas causes them to run slower. I worked in international trade for a Japanese company importing electrical transformers into Japan from the US. You simply could NOT use a 60Hz transformer in a 50Hz area. We sold the 50Hz transformers labeled as 50/60Hz, but the energy losses were higher when used in a 60Hz area.

Heating devices such as coffee pots, crock pits and hair dryers don’t work well bc they don’t get as hot. I have a 100V/120V step-up transformer I use with our crock pot. Motors run okay, for me at least bc I’m in western Japan, but there’s a torque decrease, plugs are the same Except Japanese plugs don’t have the third ground plug. Break those off.

Looking at the power useage data for the fridge unit you are interested in that was posted on the USA Amazon listing and doing some basic math calculations it looks to be similar to what others have told your their fridges of similar size use, about 46 watts in a day on average. That would be about 10 hours worth of time in a day when the compressor was actively running. So hot weather would be more but cooler days would likely be about that figure. That is for refrigerator food safe temperature range. Power consumption using it as a freezer is an unknown value.

One thing you can do that might help is long press on the picture and do an image search for similar pictures.

Many of the images are reused for a lot of the marketing, with things like plugs getting their own pictures. This might help you find the US vs Japan models if you aren't sure the one above is the same.

One thing you can do that might help is long press on the picture and do an image search for similar pictures.

Many of the images are reused for a lot of the marketing, with things like plugs getting their own pictures. This might help you find the US vs Japan models if you aren't sure the one above is the same.
The company only makes one style of 32 liter unit. The one on the USA and Japan Amazon sites use the same photo, have the same dimensions, etc.

doing some basic math calculations it looks to be similar to what others have told your their fridges of similar size use, about 46 watts in a day on average. That would be about 10 hours worth of time in a day when the compressor was actively running.
The power consumption is listed as 50W (in the user manual) but I’m assuming that is when the compressor is running. My inquiries with the seller have been futile so far as determining weekly/monthly/yearly average consumption. The figure of 10 hrs/day is doable. I was guesstimating 12. But 10 hrs/day with the power consumption of 50W means about 500 W/day.

Oh, looks like you converted incorrectly. 168kWhr=168,000Whr/365 = 460W/day If I use the manufacturer’s power consumption that works out to 9.2hrs, so basically the same since the 50W is only one significant figure in accuracy.
So hot weather would be more but cooler days would likely be about that figure. That is for refrigerator food safe temperature range. Power consumption using it as a freezer is an unknown value.

I plan on keeping it at 40F so that will minimize power consumption. The biggest problem I face is that the van needs to be in full sun for my solar panels to work properly since they are in series. That means higher temps in the van.

So the fridge will be using about 20% and up daily of my 24V 100Ahr battery. I’ll try to minimize that in the summer for sure. And there will be times when I can do without it altogether. But it’s doable.

Thanks for all the response.

The Japanese seller has been less than stellar in providing useful information. When I sent them the energy summary info provided by Maki2 they simpky said to use that data bc the units were the same. I asked why they didn’t provide such data on Amazon JP but no response thus far.

They don't want to be liable for giving figures that might or might not apply to your situation. And to be fair, they may not know. The vast majority of 12v fridges are generic. Then stamped and labeled to the brand. My current 12v fridge model is used by no less than 5 brands, including Alpicool. The difference being that the better brands so things better regarding that fridge. Customer service, better packaging sometimes, better warranty, etc. It's usually worth the small bump in price.

I would do research on the 12v fridges account to you, then read reviews. Pay attention to customer service, and reliability. Overall, the ones that have better reviews tend to use about the same amount of energy given the same size and conditions.

Plan on the fridge compressor running 30% of the time, and you'll probably be right on the ballpark. 40% if you want to be doubly certain. If you calculate for that, you should be ahead of the game.

They don't want to be liable for giving figures that might or might not apply to your situation. And to be fair, they may not know.
In an earlier post I pointed out that the requirements could have different requirements and I just received a response saying that 1- the sellers are different and 2- the ‘situation’ is different.
I would do research on the 12v fridges account to you, then read reviews. Pay attention to customer service, and reliability. Overall, the ones that have better reviews tend to use about the same amount of energy given the same size and conditions.
They’re all pretty close. Although I like the design of the Eenour I may go with a brand called Sunpie. The 800+ reviews are almost all 4-5 stars and of the 5 reviews that are 1 star Amazon has added a note to 3 of them saying Amazon is responsible for the problem.
Plan on the fridge compressor running 30% of the time, and you'll probably be right on the ballpark. 40% if you want to be doubly certain. If you calculate for that, you should be ahead of the game.
This is the sort of data I wanted. Your suggestion would suggest about 400W/day. Even 50% would predict 600W and should be replaceable by my 525W of solar panels.

The legal right to use the data produced and published by a study done in the USA does not extend outside of the USA. This is part of the international copyright laws. The company producing the Eenour fridge can’t just grab and take that data, they have to purchase the right to publish such information in Japan for use in their marketing and of course reveal the source of the information. Would Japanese consumers even trust that data from another country? Eenour is not going to dispute it as they want to sell that product to USA consumers.

Last edited:
This is the sort of data I wanted. Your suggestion would suggest about 400W/day. Even 50% would predict 600W and should be replaceable by my 525W of solar panels.
400W-hr/day is a good ballpark for a decent 12v compressor frig with adequate ventilation and not too hot conditions... based on what I've seen.

525W of solar should get you ~2,000 W-hr/day when it's sunny. Batteries are important too since the fridge needs to run when the sun doesn't shine!

The legal right to use the data produced and published by a study done in the USA does not extend outside of the USA. This is part of the international copyright laws. The company producing the Eenour fridge can’t just grab and take that data, they have to purchase the right to publish such information in Japan for use in their marketing and of course reveal the source of the information. Would Japanese consumers even trust that data from another country? Eenour is not going to dispute it as they want to sell that product to USA consumers.
According to the information in the following link the ‘data’ isn’t collected by testing done by the FTC. It actually sounds as if the manufacturer provides the data. And the labels apparently don’t even need to be approved by the FTC before a maker applies them to their product.

Regardless the 50W value seems common place. Don’t think I’m still buying that one now.

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/energyguide-labeling-faqs-appliance-manufacturers

400W-hr/day is a good ballpark for a decent 12v compressor frig with adequate ventilation and not too hot conditions... based on what I've seen.

525W of solar should get you ~2,000 W-hr/day when it's sunny. Batteries are important too since the fridge needs to run when the sun doesn't shine!
Yeah, I’ve got a 24V 100AHr battery so the daily usage is going to be about 20% of the battery capacity.

Sounds about right. I have 200W solar and 12V, 210AH battery (=2400WH), 12V, 2.4 cu.ft. compressor fridge as biggest draw. I am seldom below 80% in am and usually back to 100% by noon.

Glad you're reading the reviews. It really makes a difference to know that I'm the event you're one of the unlucky few that has an issue, they can and will help.

Makes a huge difference in confidence and the user experience. No one likes looking at a product and hoping it doesn't break because there's no good recourse.

Glad you're reading the reviews. It really makes a difference to know that I'm the event you're one of the unlucky few that has an issue, they can and will help.

Makes a huge difference in confidence and the user experience. No one likes looking at a product and hoping it doesn't break because there's no good recourse.
I don’t know how big of a difference it makes but I try to stick with items shipped by Amazon. At least their 30 day guarantee is in place. And they are, in theory, keeping some of the seller’s items in stock. Also when a seller has a Chinese address but has taken the name, in one example, Goture-JP, they are being upfront that they aren’t based in Japan.

Then there is always Amazon’s A-to-Z coverage. I recently bought some lap sealant and paid a high price for it bc it’s an import. I bought it with a lot of other project supplies and only got around to using it a week ago. As soon as I started to open it I saw that the nozzle wasn’t attached securely. Once that seal is pierced there isn’t any way to ensure that the instructions are followed, specifically ‘securely seal product after use.’ Amazon is. Currently considering a refund.

So, yeah, I’m at least trying to find a reliable seller.

Sounds about right. I have 200W solar and 12V, 210AH battery (=2400WH), 12V, 2.4 cu.ft. compressor fridge as biggest draw. I am seldom below 80% in am and usually back to 100% by noon.
Hey, that’s great news. My system was 2 1/2 times more solar wattage so it makes me feel pretty confident!

Have you ever experienced a run of cloudy days where you had problems recharging and keeping your fridge running? My idea is that if that happens it’s not going to happen overnight. I’ll see it coming. Do you check the weather it’s gonna be cloudy for the next few days. That means eat drink and use everything in the refrigerator to keep it from going bad and just tough it out for a few days till the sun comes back.

One thing I remember you saying is that you'll keep it at almost 40 degrees. I would keep it at 33-34. That way you have more leeway if you're short on power.

And don't use it on eco mode. It allows the internal temp to get higher before powering up again. And as noted above, the actual energy usage ends up the same. Always consider the temp at which the compressor turns back on. You don't want your food going in and out of safe range.

One thing I remember you saying is that you'll keep it at almost 40 degrees. I would keep it at 33-34. That way you have more leeway if you're short on power.
If the power situation works out as Spaceman suggests, I’ll go lower. But having lived in Japan for 30 years now I’ve come to recognize that the United States is a little bit anal retentive over the temperature at which foods must be kept. No granted, if you follow those guidelines you’re going to totally eliminate almost any chance whatsoever of spoilage and contamination by bacteria. Well at least contamination by bacteria through too high of a temperature. However, My wife and her mother leave stuff out all the freaking time. It used to really upset me. Given that I’ve never gotten sick and I’ve never seen any of them get sick and the temperature has been pretty high it’s not always critical as the FDA wants us to believe. Again they’re working at 100% prevention. But not adhering to those rules doesn’t really drop it down to where it says you’re absolutely going to get sick or even that your chances of getting sick are high, or higher than you want to risk.

question… would you eat raw chicken? I have. It’s much like eating the puffer end it taste OK but it’s just not worth the risk. At the time I ate raw chicken the guy who served at his house in the prop party had to drive something like three or four hours round-trip to get the stuff. It has to be fresh and it has to be prepared carefully.

I’ve been poisoned twice by chicken that was spoiled or not cooked properly. A couple of 3 days of sipping liquids trying to keep them down and coming out both ends at the same time until there just wasn’t anything to come out but still trying, so no sleep, terrible cramps and gas pains. I was young and lucky the flight surgeon knew well how to treat it. Second time it happened, both on our anniversary by the way, I divorced her.