Winterizing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytrailhead

Reaction score
I couldn’t sell my old van, so I’m putting it in storage. “Storage” is secured parking without cover or electricity near Seattle WA.
My water system is basic and easy to purge, which has been done. Stabilizer in the gas tank. Camper is clean. Tires aired up. Wad of drier sheets under the hood. Refrigerator vented. The main issue is the electrical.
I have two 100ah lithium batteries, 480 watts of solar panels and an MPPT/DC-to-DC charger.
I had an idea—and maybe it’s a bad one—to just leave it on. The DC-to-DC charger is capable of charging the chassis starter battery, but I don’t know what the conditions have to be for that to happen. So, what could go wrong? Right??
Ok, I don’t know what can go wrong. That’s why I plan to disconnect the lithium batteries and everything going to or from them. I also plan to disconnect the starter battery.
I know a couple of people who leave their cars parked for the winter and disconnect the starter battery. Neither has had a battery problem by doing that.
Nevertheless, it would be soooo much easier to just leave everything on and let the sun maintain all the batteries.