Any data on daily usage for refrigerators?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing that really upset me was Office of Security Information (OSI) knew what was happening and didn’t bother to tell me! Didn’t eat any more chicken for several years. Lol!!! One of the problems with solar powered refrigerators is they can fail without your knowledge just by running low on power and when the sun comes back out everything seems fine. Just saying pay attention during cloudy periods to the refrigerator’s temperature till you get a good idea how long you can go without sun just in case you need to leave for an extended hike or something. Food poisoning can be a life altering event.

..... Have you ever experienced a run of cloudy days where you had problems recharging and keeping your fridge running? My idea is that if that happens it’s not going to happen overnight. I’ll see it coming. Do you check the weather it’s gonna be cloudy for the next few days. That means eat drink and use everything in the refrigerator to keep it from going bad and just tough it out for a few days till the sun comes back.
I can go 2 days of minimal solar charging before I need to address the batteries condition (60% or less). I do spend significant time in the Black Hills under heavy forest canopy.

I have 3 ways to recharge: solar, inverter/generator, shore power. If I get to the end of the day at ~60% I will run a small 1000W generator to power a 35A battery charger for about an hour next morning to get to 80%+. Even with heavy overcast or heavy forest canopy I can still harvest enough over the rest of the day to get to 90% to 100%. My other options are to travel to find sun or shore power.

I do keep track of weather using cellphone apps or satellite (I have an inReach).

Had to throw away spoiled food once when I was using ice cooler. Big reason I got solar/battery/fridge/generator. I have stayed out for 20 days before needing to resupply (I ran out of cream for my coffee; I might be a minimalist but I'm not a barbarian). I do have a wireless temp monitor in the refrigerator that I glance at throughout the day.

Just saying pay attention during cloudy periods to the refrigerator’s temperature till you get a good idea how long you can go without sun just in case you need to leave for an extended hike or something. Food poisoning can be a life altering event.
Yeah, had food poisoning once from a Zayre’s corn dog. Don’t fancy a repeat.

I have a recording thermometer that might solve this problem. Just ran cross it while looking for something else this afternoon. Hehehe. Forget where it was specifically but at least I remember the general location I was looking.

Thing that really upset me was Office of Security Information (OSI) knew what was happening and didn’t bother to tell me!
It sounds like you had friends in the office that didn't want to tell you directly that you needed to move on from you now ex wife.

The conversation probably went like this:
You tell him.
Hell no. You tell him.
Ok since we can't tell him because she might kill us all, we need to figure out a way to send the message.
Well, for some reason they do eat chicken every year on their anniversary.
Hmm.
Hmm.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Can't believe it took two times for him to get the message.
Victory is ours!

I could be wrong. Or am I? Dun dun dun!

Not exactly friends! I believe they were using me to figure out who her friends were. Good thing for me she was a better psychologist than assassin! Lol!!! Who needs a freezer in a “Cold War”.