Ehrenburg Rangers to enforce 14 day camping limit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
same ranger district.  I hope nobody is surprised about this everybody and their brother has been going on the internet for years declaring you could stay there as long as you want.  guess what you couldn't it's always been a 14 day limit.  you just can't keep thumbing your nose at the BLM,  then advertising it and expect them to do nothing.  highdesertranger

But if you had said the same thing a day before this news, you would have been accused of being a pessimist or fearmonger.

The Boondocking Blabbermouth Syndrome, that you are alluding to, is quite amazing. Apparently, people don't think that the BLM rangers have internet connections back at their office.

With the a film in the works that calls the nomadic life a movement, along with magazine articles putting their spin on it, along with published books putting their spin on it, along with how many youtube videos putting their spin on it, also adding record sales in the RV industry the past couple years, and Slab City sitting just over there, I can see how some one at HQ would say, "Get out there and get a handle on this. There is a 14 day limit after all."

What's the big deal about moving 25 miles every two weeks anyway? There is a ton of land to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LTVA areas require self contained units with minimum 10 gallon dump tanks

What's the big deal about moving 25 miles every two weeks anyway? There is a ton of land to do this.

^^^ True. Enjoy it, for now.
While it lasts. That too will end soon enough.

No one is talking or maybe realizing the perfect storm of events going on. Increased usage from retiring boomers, recreational users from naturists to motorized, Gen Y and millennials more outdoor active and seeking non-traditional lifestyles with the RV/ van lifestyle increasingly promoted online on Instagram and YouTube. Plain old population growth, cheap gas, plentiful and affordable supply of RV s, more mobile population, Urban escapees from ever increasing population densities,
And increased enforcement attributed to the increased use and stricter enforcement approach.

It makes sense with the increased use of these areas come wear and tear issues along with protecting the environment, garbage and sanitary waste aspects, etc...

With more population and use, comes more regulation.
The realities of an increasing population on a finite space, human nature and the call of nature.

How about going to Parker and getting a 14 day pass now, then have proof that you were somewhere else to the rangers?

not all but some of the LTVA's allow you to camp without holding tanks. but you must camp close to the restrooms. there is a certain number of feet you must be from the restroom. somewhere on the forum I posted the LTVA rules I will see if I can find it. highdesertranger

Am I the only one who finds it shameful that folks are blaming this on Bob Wells on his own web site? 

Who knows why the BLM is enforcing their own rules now?  Perhaps it is because there is a new administration in Washington that monitoring all of their departments to make sure that all rules are being enforced.  We've already seen an effort to move free public lands back into private lands.  Look at what's happened in Utah.  Perhaps some of the RV park owners in Quartzsite have complained to the BLM about loss of revenue due to so many folks staying in BLM land.  Perhaps the BLM is being questioned about the LTVA program if regular BLM lands seem to also be long term.  Perhaps the ATV folks have complained about there being so many vans parked where they want to ride their toys.  Who knows?

But in any case, I think that Bob is probably the last person that I would blame.  From what I've seen he's done more to help the folks that frequent this site than any of the folks now blaming him.    Shameful..

I talked to one for this morning that drove through and I'm going to do a video on why they're starting to enforce this and it's not Bob's fault not directly but that's why I think he's being challenged on his videos about it but like I said I'm going to do a video in a few minutes It'll be posted by noon that will explain why we're going to be start being harassed about our 14-day limits out here when we never were before

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

frater secessus said:
That's what happens when high visibility folks say "there is no ranger enforcement in Ehrenburg" on youtube.

Am sure Frater meant this as a statement of fact, not a judgement or critique.

^^^^
Also, Bob is not the only high visibility YouTube blogger/vlogger/instagrammer that has talked about the previous lack of enforcement at Ehrenburg; ... just the biggest one members on this forum are familiar with.

The 14 day rule is a good rule, and the LTVA's a good exception to it.

The Forest Service has an exemption for folks making their living off of the land. I benefited from it as a Tree Planter before college. Sheep herders, firewood cutters, and maybe even hunters also have that exception. I **suspect** a gathering permit might well suffice. The BLM may have similar rules.

We are a large enough group that we could create our own alternative. How about a system of 'certified' volunteer camp hosts with minimal duties (no restrooms!)? We could use the RTR as a certification camp.

Obtaining private land in a friendly County is a good idea. The mechanics of creating same are such that the easiest way to do it would be for an individual to undertake it as a low return investment selling it off piecemeal once it is created.

Do note that days between visits and mileage minimums vary widely. It's usually not an issue so long as you aren't in a 'problem' area or get otherwise 'noticed', and respect the spirit/intent of the rule. My only concern in this instance would be the fact that they told Bob this wasn't an enforced area to encourage its use then decide to get a tad bit heavy handed once that use is established.

Going across the River will definitely put you out of the District, and less than 25 miles away.

frater secessus said:
That's what happens when high visibility folks say "there is no ranger enforcement in Ehrenburg" on youtube.

By "high visibility fokes" I assume you are talking about the BLM Ranger who said that there was no enforcement at Ehernburg last year which was true.  This is how the Rangers give us a heads up of the renewed enforcement of the 14 day rule.  At least it's a heads up.  They could have just doccumented 14 days then ticked everybody.  
It's all good. The sky is not falling and it is a beautiful day!

Finding someone to blame is not going to change the situation at all.

La Tortuga said:
By "high visibility fokes" I assume you are talking about the BLM Ranger who said that there was no enforcement at Ehernburg last year which was true.  This is how the Rangers give us a heads up of the renewed enforcement of the 14 day rule.  At least it's a heads up.  They could have just doccumented 14 days then ticked everybody. It's all good. The sky is not falling and it is a beautiful day!
Very good point... the heads up was given in both cases... a lot of respect here... very considerate to give a warning vs a citation.

The 14 day stay rule on BLM land has always applied in Ehrenberg, even if it was not enforced. I suspect there were problems which caused the sheriff to request BLM to enforce the rules. I saw a video in which the sheriff was called on a drunk and disorderly person on the river in Eberg. Perhaps ATV riders complained about campers. Or it could be higher numbers of campers than in past years and fears that California's homeless problem is spilling over into Arizona. There are a lot of dispersed camping locations to move to every 2 weeks, Lake Havasu, Bouse, Quartzsite, Kofa, Yuma, Pichaco, Holtville, Cibola. There are far more campsites than any one person could use for the rest of their life.