Eggs - Do you refrigerate?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never have, usually three weeks past the sell by is fine, less in hot temps

Nope. Can't watch the video where I'm at, but to answer the question, nope. Buy them at Walmart usually, been over a year doing it. 2 weeks ago is prob the longest I have had eggs with no refrigeration. Temps as high as 100 and heat index well above that. Almost surprised they didn't start to cook!

This is not advocating not refrig your eggs. Just my experience with them.

You ask a question here, and you will get great replies.

Very interesting and informative.

Having reached under many hens to take their eggs I know what warm and cozy feels like.

Perhaps Vanners are not as squeamish about foods and health as many folks are?

Not 2 week "ago" about 2 weeks is the max time I've gone without refrig. And that's an "at least".

But do read about the dangers of doing this with store bought eggs. Not supposed to I guess with store bought eggs. Just an FYI.

Would cooking the eggs eliminate the non refrigeration health risk?

Would you like my cynical opinion?  

Americans have been taught to fear everything.  And I mean EVERYTHING!  This country thrives on spreading fear.  We have been encouraged to fear every bacteria known to man, flour, sugar, eggs, meat, fat, cheese, salt, butter, mayonnaise, milk, fruit juice, coffee, tea, outdated canned goods, swallowing spiders in your sleep, running into Bigfoot and rabid bears while you're camping, guns, knives, dogs, snakes, bugs, identity theft, economic collapse, government corruption, global warming, cyber-terrorism, pollution,  earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, droughts, spending your old age in poverty, getting Alzheimer's or dementia, death, what your neighbors think, what strangers think, home burglaries, car-jackings, rising prices, attacks by terrorists, EMPs, solar flares, fear of anyone who seems different from us.

IMHO, most of this fearmongering falls into one of two boxes: Control and/or Profit. And most control seems to lead to profit. Politicians create fear so you'll pay more taxes for them to 'solve' the problem. Religious leaders create a fear of death or hell so you'll give them money to prevent it. Business people assure you that you can't live without their products (purchase of which leads to their profiting from you). For others, it's pure psychological control because they're sociopaths.

Getting back to the eggs: washed eggs spoil faster than unwashed eggs, so you have to buy them more frequently. This falls into the Profit box. Laws to wash eggs and disinfect eggs come from politicians who are desperate to control people, so this probably falls into the Control box. So crack the egg, stir it up, and pour half into the Profit box and the rest into the Control box, and after a bit of time passes, both will start to stink.

This link is the FDA advice on eggs...

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm077342.htm

They suggest you be cautious and also mention the dangers. Its hard for me to take them serious because of personal experience and a host of other "inconsistencies" with my real world experience. If you take them seriously, then I suggest you read the link and make up your own mind.

TrainChaser said:
...Would you like my cynical opinion?...

...running into Bigfoot while you're camping...

Wow...just wow...If you don't believe in BigFoot, you're right, you are cynical. The rest I pretty much agree with, but why the BF hate? That's like hatin' on Santa!

I don't know about store bought...but, always had chickens in the barns. They were free range and had to fend for themselves... whenever I needed eggs..just collect them. Never refrigerated them.

The demand was high enough so that if you got 6 eggs you knew they were laid within the last 24 hours.

Boyntonstu said:
Hamburger can be safe if heated above 165* F.

Cooked eggs stored without refrigeration are about as safe as hamburger stored without refrigeration.   They both spoil quickly.

Wabbit said:
This link is the FDA advice on eggs...

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm077342.htm

They suggest you be cautious and also mention the dangers. Its hard for me to take them serious because of personal experience and a host of other "inconsistencies" with my real world experience. If you take them seriously, then I suggest you read the link and make up your own mind.

In Houston they are boiling water to drink.

It seems that when you boil or fry an egg, it should be safe. 

And from your FDA.gov source:

Serving
Follow these serving guidelines for eggs and egg dishes.
  • Serve cooked eggs (such as hard-boiled eggs and fried eggs) and egg-containing foods (such as such as quiches and soufflés) immediately after cooking. Cooked eggs and egg dishes may be refrigerated for serving later but should be thoroughly reheated to 165° F before serving.

• Again:  165* F !

I don't refrigerate. store bought washed eggs are good for 2+ weeks. farm fresh unwashed maybe a month. I always do the float test. if they float in water I discard them, if they don't float I eat them. what's with the Big Foot hate? I have a Big Foot story but I will only tell it around a campfire. highdesertranger

HDR is this in a desert climate? All year round?

TrainChaser said:
...So crack the egg, stir it up, and pour half into the Profit box and the rest into the Control box, and after a bit of time passes, both will start to stink.

Hear hear!  Pure poetry, TC.  You must be exhausted after spinning that dazzling stream of consciousness.  
These days, if you're not cynical you're not paying attention...

cool.gif
Charlotte

highdesertranger said:
I have a Big Foot story but I  will only tell it around a campfire. 

Stranger, I am holding you to that.  But it might have to be a campfire in the Gila Wilderness...
Charlotte

yes I was talking in the desert. sometimes in the winter I must put them in a refer if it's really cold or else they would freeze.

Charlotte any campfire will do the location doesn't matter. highdesertranger

I believe "wood ape" is now the politically correct term