Easy Coffee drinks??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
I've had to cut back my caffeine but like to have one, nice, hot drink, maybe 2 if I keep the caffeine to a minimum.  I'm trying to figure out something that would be easy to fix/brew in the tiny camper I'll have on my truck.

Does anyone else out there like something a little fancy and if so, how do you fix it?  What I made myself this a.m. kind of makes me want to scrape my tongue with my teeth, know what I mean :huh: So I guess I'm asking for tasty coffee drink recipes for  :blush: :D

Use decaff coffee. The flavored syrups made for coffee and  Itallian sodas are sold in grocery stores. If you like it extra creamy use condensed milk, plain or sweetened. Cinammon and a little vanilla or almond extract is also good flavoring. You can also make Mexican chocolate coffee drinks. That too is often sold in grocery stores. The main thing is to use decaff coffee. But the simplest is to add to decaff coffe add some chocolate or caramel syrup that is sold for puttting over icecream and give it a good stir. Add some cream if you want to..

Of course you could also get Baileys Irish cream to put into your coffee.

maki2 said:
Use decaff coffee. The flavored syrups made for coffee and  Itallian sodas are sold in grocery stores. If you like it extra creamy use condensed milk, plain or sweetened. Cinammon and a little vanilla or almond extract is also good flavoring. You can also make Mexican chocolate coffee drinks. That too is often sold in grocery stores. The main thing is to use decaff coffee.
I've been looking at the decaf coffee, and bought some, but not instant.  Can you recommend a good Instant Decaf maki?  I like both cinamon and vanilla, and sometimes, I mix some of my almond milk in my coffee.  So with the instant, all I'd have to do is boil a little water on my Coleman stove ;)

! use a Moka Pot which is an Italian stovetop espresso maker.  It is very fast, super simple to use, quick rinse to clean and makes wonderfully rich coffee (you use less ground coffee than one would use for Espresso).  There are lots of Moka Pots on Amazon and while many of these are aluminum, I have a stainless one that works with my Induction Cooktop.  It is a "9 cup" model, but since an Espresso cup is just 1.7 oz, that equates to 15oz (LINK). Non-induction compliant ones cost less; just be sure to note the maximum ounces it makes.  Works great with most any ground coffee; just vary how much coffee to control strength and you can go from super weak to an all-stops out pipe organ blast!

In the summer I drink cold coffee or ice coffee.
Decaf, because I don't sleep very often.
Here is the recipe: 2 spoons of instant decaf in the blender, with maybe 2 ounces of water. Whip.
Add 2 glasses of water and stir (don't shake),
Pour over ice in long glass.

I am boring, so I drink my coffee black. No sugar, no milk, no cream, no fancy syrups.
In the winter, I do the same, but with hot water.
It's plenty good for me.IMG_20210730_235153842.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_235153842.jpg
    IMG_20210730_235153842.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 95
StarryNights said:
! use a Moka Pot which is an Italian stovetop espresso maker.  It is very fast, super simple to use, quick rinse to clean and makes wonderfully rich coffee (you use less ground coffee than one would use for Espresso).  There are lots of Moka Pots on Amazon and while many of these are aluminum, I have a stainless one that works with my Induction Cooktop.  It is a "9 cup" model, but since an Espresso cup is just 1.7 oz, that equates to 15oz (LINK). Non-induction compliant ones cost less; just be sure to note the maximum ounces it makes.  Works great with most any ground coffee; just vary how much coffee to control strength and you can go from super weak to an all-stops out pipe organ blast!
Sounds neat, and yummy ;)

Sofisintown said:
In the summer I drink cold coffee or ice coffee.
Decaf, because I don't sleep very often.
Here is the recipe: 2 spoons of instant decaf in the blender, with maybe 2 ounces of water. Whip.
Add 2 glasses of water and stir (don't shake),
Pour over ice in long glass.

I am boring, so I drink my coffee black. No sugar, no milk, no cream, no fancy syrups.
In the winter, I do the same, but with hot water.
It's plenty good for me.
Thanks much Sofi!  I love ice-tea, and have also tried ice coffee in the past.  I did decaf instant this a.m. that Maki told me about and it's hitting the spot!  I do add my stevia, and Almond Milk (unsweetened almond milk as the stevia is enough).  This will be fine, but now I can also make it iced if I want ;)

I like dark roast coffee and  I dont worry much about the brand of instant dark roast as it all seems to be about the same quality. Other than I was partial to the Trader Joe house brand of instant coffee. But I have not been in any area that has a Trader Joe store since last fall. Having lived in Seattle where I could get excellent espresso at my local coffee shop everything else taste substandard since that shop closed down a couple of years ago. i have yet to have a really good espresso in Arizona.  The baristas just don't know how to pull a good shot of espresso even if they have a good roast of bean. No one around to train them who knows how to do it.

You're making me want one!
Those ideas sound good.

I use an action packed SS
Stanley French press,
(That can also boil water for tea, cocoa or other things)
a small 6 Cup espresso coffee pot ( it's fast & easy)
Occasionally for ease and no clean up, instant coffee
singles packets of various brands and flavors.

Sometimes I like using at cinnamon, caramel, peppermint, condensed milk
( Like Vietnamese coffee)
Bailey's Irish cream, etc.
for extra bonus.
Cocoa, especially Stephen'Gormet Cocoa
Or any cocoa you like (2tsp or more if you really like deep dark mocha).
Mini marshmallows...why not!? :0 ... there I said it! ;)

Over the top, with whip cream, Plain, flavored or sprinkled.
Always better homemade or a spray whip can in the cooler or fridge... hot or on ice for a nice treat.
It's SOooo yummy!
C'est tres Beau! ;)

BTW,
Stevia is great, all natural plant and yes you can grow it yourself, a family member
does. Use the leaves just like you would mint leaves.

I have to watch my caffeine intake, too, and mix my own half regular, half decaf for my coffee maker in the morning.

I can then have two large mugs full without overdoing it.

I got into Dalgona coffee during the pandemic, and it is delicious.

It gets me to drink more milk.

I make it with decaf instant.

Dalgona Coffee

3 tablespoons instant coffee
3 tablespoons sugar (or less, but I think some sugar is critical for the next step)
3 tablespoons cold water

Mix in a deep bowl.  Whip with a wisk until frothy and holding peaks.

Pour cold milk into a wide mouthed jar or drinking glass.

Heap the coffee mixture on top, stir slightly and enjoy.

Every bit as good as from a coffee house, and feels very indulgent.

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/whipped-coffee-recipe/

Percolators and French Presses are good options, I even use Via instant sometimes, but I'll chime in because no one else has mentioned it: I've been doing drip coffee with a pretty simple setup the last few years with GSIs silicone collapsible funnel. I can produce more this way than with my french press and I'll bring a thermos, so my second cup is still nice and warm hours later.

Cowboy coffee? I assume you already have a small sauce pan to boil water, heat soups, etc. If so, you have everything you need for cowboy coffee.

I'm also a new afficionado of instant coffee. Three bucks a day for a drug habit just didn't sit right with me, no matter how culturally acceptable the drug is or how enjoyable the cameraderie of coffee shops had become.

I use a jetboil mighty mo, which really DOES boil water quickly and discretely. It was a very expensive cup of instant coffee the first time I made one, but I just wasn't using my two burner Coleman stove.

Last summer, I made cold brew coffee and then heated it up in my solar oven. It's not bad that way at all, especially during fire season in CA, but you're not going to get enough sun first thing in the morning for any sort of first thing in the morning habit, which I now have.

When I lived in a stix n brix I used a coffee cone and poured boiling water over it. When I want to make "real coffee" now, I just use the same gear I used for cold brew, drink the first cup, and by the time I finish, what's left in the mason jar needs to be diluted for my second cup and there is enough left over to dilute and reheat the next morning.

I'm in a minivan so space is limited, but I do look forward to experimenting with french press, percolator, decaf, etc.

I assume you already know about the simple device you can plug into your cigarette lighter to heat a single cup of coffee.

Even if you don't partake, it's useful to have hot water for washing up in the mornings.

Vietnamese instant coffee can be really tasty; I carry Vinacafe packets in the camper for treats or for caffeine emergencies.

{edited to add - that was a straight amazon link with no referral stuff on it. Looks like the forum software appends the "forumyield-20" referrer. More power to 'em, although it's a bit weird to see the link altered from what I posted.}

I use an Aeropress coffee maker.
It's like a huge syringe you pour hot water into then flip over and push the hot water through the coffee into your cup.
(I use the inverted method, which I find less prone to accidental messes)
It uses a very small filter about 2 inches across.
Previously used one of those pour over cone filter things for decades. Which I thought was the best solution for solo coffee. Even took it backpacking.
But this guy uses less coffee to make an equivalent cup.
The only drawback is the limited capacity means I make the coffee a little too strong then add extra hot water to fill the cup the rest of the way.
However these are super easy to clean, and use.
19335.jpg

When I lived in California my girlfriend was a big fan of Starbucks coffee.
I've always found their coffee kinda bland. However, she bought these little instant coffee things.
We went camping and they worked really well at making instant that didn't have that weird salty taste instant joe always has.
They were these cute little cellophane tubes, each one was a single serving. I'll admit I was skeptical and being a huge coffee person then as now, it did spur a minor couple spat. She was right and I admitted it. Made breakfast a lot quicker to make.

81gigoZChcL._SL1500_.jpg

Attachments

• 19335.jpg
    19335.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
So I’ve been kinda in the same boat. I like my French press, but cleanup takes water and drip... those cone things? Alright I guess. I watched wanderlust once and she had a (coffee brew buddy?). So I ordered it. Wasn’t totally sold on it. Seems like lots of fines get through the screen. Back in my outback canoe trips I stumbled on number two tea bags... no mess... easy to pack out. I guess while using the coffee brew buddy I noticed how that #2 tea bag might fit so I use that as a drip... put good amount of coffee in the bag, slip it in the buddy thing and pour your water through it. You can slip it out squeeze out the coffee and away you drink. Not as easy as instant. But you have options of coffee including fresh ground... with just the #2 bags I used to use a clip and drop in the hot water in the cup and steep.

For many years I've used a Bodum Travel Mug. It's basically a vacuum insulated stainless steel French press with a flip up cap to drink from. So easy to use and clean. Unscrew top and remove along with the rod and screen. Put in a couple tablespoons of ground coffee. Fill with boiling water. Let set for a few minutes then push down the plunger. Pop open the cap and drink. Cleaning is just a matter of rinsing it out.

Cowboy coffee is about as easy as it gets. Minimal cleanup as well. This video explains it a lot better than I could:

So, after you made the coffee, what about cleanup. It is simple, just scatter the grounds out in the bush someplace and a tiny amount of water to rinse out the pan. Is this pollution? No. Back on the farm, my mom always scattered the grounds in her flower garden or in the vegetable garden. The reason being is earth worms love the coffee grounds.

I like cowboy coffee. I didnt watch the vid yet.....

So, simple coffee drink. Make coffee, reg or decaf. Add shot of Bulleit bourbon. Done.

A friend twisted my arm once in camp in the Rockies in the morning, I finally gave in and tried it, dang thats good! Now I buy the stuff regularly. before messing up my back id go through a bottle in 6 months or so, now its more like a year or two.

Camp coffee
IMG_1315 coffee - reduced.jpg