Dried Food Tips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amish / Mennonite in northern midwest are plentiful. Their stores are pricey for dehydrated but fresh produce prices are always competitive.

Never heard of Black Salt, will pickup some umami this afternoon if I find a food to try it on. (need recipes).

Did manage to find some hungry jack dried hashbrowns.

Still looking for a hot spicy mustard, like a dijon, that does not need a fridge. Or a build yr own substitute.

Good thread here for sure.

Matlock said:
Never heard of Black Salt (need recipes).

Indian black salt, or kala namak, is an Indian volcanic rock salt. It is known by many names including Himalayan black salt, sulemani namak, and kala loon. It is commonly used in Pakistan, India and other Asian countries.

Vegans use this a lot to add an egg flavor to recipe that would normally have eggs in it.

Indian grocery store in your city they should have it on the shelves. Lacking that type of grocery store Amazon carries it on their site. That's where I got mine.

Eggless Mayo

½ cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

¾ teaspoon black salt

About 1 ½ cups neutral oil

Adding about 12 chickpeas will help to emulsify the mayonnaise, I highly recommend using the chickpeas.

Add all the ingredients into a container and blend thoroughly. A stick blender works wonderfully for this. Make certain that the chickpeas are completely liquefied.
Once it is thoroughly blended continue to blend while slowly drizzling in the oil. The mixture will slowly thicken and begin to look like mayonnaise.

You can add all kinds of spices to this to change the flavor and make it an aioli, just like it's done with mayonnaise.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

the Walmart Supercenters are pretty good for dried foods in bulk.

I find that smaller onions keep longer then the bigger ones. I still got some that have been in my trailer for at least 2 or 3 months and are still good.

potatoes are good for a week or two usually all go through the bag and use the ones that are starting to sprout or go soft.

Fresh Veggies keep in the cooler one of my tricks is to wash all my produce and then pack it in Tupperware containers with paper towels and after a few days when the paper towels have absorbed a lot of moisture replace them.

I have been using dehydrated foods from ‘Thrive Life’ for nearly ten years. They have all the items you mentioned, and more, of course. I have found them of extremely high quality and freshness. These are very easy and convenient to use, list every ingredient, and allow you to have a wide variety without any waste. Lightweight and very transportable.
Hope you’ll enjoy them.